“No Welcome”

and 1 more site!
The Pack Horse
Ranked #18 of 20 Louth B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We arrived around 3.00 pm to find a locked hotel, we had to phone up to get someone to open up, the room was up to standard but we were disturbed by the traffic noise from the street below. Further disappointment in the morning as breakfast wasn't available, this may be a one off as it was Easter Bank holiday?

Room Tip: Choose a superior room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Johnnyzbass

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I picked The Pack Horse purely because of the attached American Diner, which I knew my husband would love, but I wasn't prepared for the contemporary and very stylish room we got with it's top notch en-suite and everything in the room we could possibly want! What a surprise.
That added to the relaxed atmosphere, really pleasant, friendly staff, excellent service and good full English breakfast had me congratulating myself on a superb choice. We won't bother looking around next time we're in Louth, we'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen A
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Had an unscheduled visit to louth, stopped here on the off chance. Slight hiccup with the room, but that was more than made up for and it made for an excellent visit. Good honest food and a decent pint can be found in the diner they run under the hotel. They proved to be excellent hosts and nothing was too much trouble.
Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Wow, we have just got home from a fantastic weekend in Louth, Lincolnshire. We stayed at the Pack Horse in Louth and could not have picked a better place to stay. The service we received from the staff, from their warm welcome, to saying goodbye, was superb. The beautiful rooms were furnished in modern styles yet retained the eighteenth century charm of the building. The restaurant, Smokey Joes American diner, was exquisite, we were served a delicious Mexican style meal, that was fresh, tasty, and filling. I was also very impressed with the amount of vegetarian options on the menu. The location was ideal, just a few minutes walk from shops, pubs, restaurants, museums and local public transport services. I would definitely recommend The Pack Horse, to friends and family and we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Andrea C
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Lovely Accommodation but awful experience in restaurant! Steak dreadful and manager had awful attitude! Don't eat at smoky joes! It Will spoil your holiday! complained about meal and got a load of verbal from the manager!

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank margaret g
stevepackhorse, Owner at The Pack Horse, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Thankyou for your review. I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Pack Horse but very saddened that you did not enjoy the restautant as many many people have stayed and eaten and had a wunderful time. I have spoken with the manager and she has explained along with a another memeber of staff that she did not give you verbal but was however just explaining that we buy our steaks from the best butchers in the area so it could not then of come from Tesco as was insinuated, she also offered you another meal or to take you meal of your bill for you. I do not see this as verbal but as an explainition and a resolve for your situation. Once again i thank you for your review and glad you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I booked smokey joes for my husbands 40th the staff was amazing they were so nice and friendly they pulled out all the stops to make it an amazing dinning out experience!! we all enjoyed every minute the food was GORGEOUS and its great value for money!!! THEY MADE IT REALLY SPECIAL FOR US WE CAN'T WAIT TO GO AGAIN. THANKS SMOKEY JOES FOR MAKING OUR NIGHT SPECIAL SEE YOU SOON!!!!!!!!

YOU MUST TRY IT YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Booked by telephone at lunchtime on my arrival day and had a good feeling about the place even then. Friendly & relaxed approach to my booking (10/10). When I arrived I discovered the ground floor bar was a US style diner. Bar staff were expecting me and owner took me upstairs to my room. Unfortunately there was no desk/chair (2/10) (not much use for biz travelers or even those of the fairer variety who need to apply face paint!!!). Owner let me see another room with a low coffee style table - better than nothing (10/10 for effort). Room was clean, bathroom was good and well appointed (7/10). Looks as though the rooms have been given the boootique makeover recently. Not perhaps to everyone taste, but what was important was that it was clean and there was a comfy bed, as well as TV which lets you watch UK channels (9/10).

Went down stairs to the diner and 9.45 and although it was starting to empty (Thursday night) the owner and his bar staff made me feel as though I had walked in at 8.00pm (10/10). Ordered a main course (chilli burger and curly fries) and a pint. Meal arrived promptly and was enjoyable (7/10).

Good night's sleep,even although my room was to the front - breakfast with real butcher's sausages was again enjoyable (8/10).

Given that the bedroom to the front overlooks the main street and the shops/flats opp perhaps some for of window film applied to the windows could be considered. Just for that little bit of added privacy. (2/10)

Having stayed in many, many diff types of hotels this was a pleasant change to the typical corporate 3 & 4* establishments.

Reasonably priced and good service - would I come back again, yes. (8/10)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business