“Disappointing”

Brackenborough Bistro & Bar
Ranked #12 of 96 Restaurants in Louth
Cuisines: Bar, British, Grill, Healthy
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Our food is freshly prepared, locally sourced (where possible) and bursting with flavour. Just as it should be. The Lounge is a firm favourite with those in the know; come and relax amid smart surroundings, whilst enjoying efficient, friendly and unobtrusive service that will make you want to linger a little more. Our menus are regularly updated to reflect seasonality, with a wide selection of dishes to suit all tastes and budgets. Don’t be afraid to ask for recommendations – there are lots of staples that keep our regulars coming back for more, and we are also happy to recommend wines to match. We will happily cater for varying dietary requirements too - just give us a call if unsure.
Louth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

I haven't ever rated a restaurant on Trip Advisor, however feel the need to after our last family meal at the Brackenborough.
I wouldn't say we were regulars but if we ever had a family get together we would choose the Brackenborough for its customer service and terrific food quality.
We have had two recent visits in 2013 (went twice as we all have off days and deserved a 2nd chance) and on both occasions have had Faulty Tower like service and large chain quality food. We all met up again this weekend and I'm sad to say that The Bracky wasn't even an option. Real, real shame.

1 Thank sharpsimon
saints42york, General Manager at Brackenborough Bistro & Bar, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Sharp Simon,

I appreciate your comments and would like to discuss your comments further, as I can confirm to customers reading this review that the service and food at the Brackenborough is of the highest quality in the area and not as described in this review, please call me on 01507 609169,

Regards,

Flamborough, United Kingdom
“A disappointing second visit.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We visited this charming hotel restaurant a few months ago and had an excellent lunch with good service and a wide variety of food including excellent jacket potatoes.
Alas, today's visit was so different!
The lunch menu had changed, now having the emphasis on 'main meals' with just a few sandwich and panini options, only one of which was vegetarian. Also, the service was not as warm and helpful. When we came to pay the bill, the gentleman who had taken the original order informed us that they had no card machine and were only taking cash. This could have been a great embarrassing! Why didn't he mention it when he took the order?
Not impressed and shall not be returning.

• Visited April 2013
Anoyira, Cyprus
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

A very stylish restaurant with a good atmosphere. The menu has a good variety of dishes and the prices are reasonable. The menu has some useful hints about the dishes and where the ingredients are sourced, as a consequence I chose fried Haddock which was fantastic, my wife and daughter had the grilled haddock also delicious. The service is good and the atmosphere is very relaxing. The wine list has a good variety to choose from at reasonable prices. If you are staying at the hotel use the restaurant, you wont be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Johnnyzbass
Many thanks for your kind words, I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience at the Brackenborough Bistro, as always we continue to strive for perfection in the food quality and service which has been echoed in many reviews on TA, and as you also stated at very reasonable prices within the area, once again many thanks and I look forward to seeing you again with the usual warm welcome from all the team,

Kindest of Regards,

Doncaster
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing meal”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Went for a meal for a family birthday. Being Good Friday we opted for fish and chips. Chips weren't very tasty. Fish was tasty but the batter was far too crunchy and not very tasty.
The atmosphere in the restaurant was disappointing considering the last time we went. The staff seemed more interested in themselves than serving the customers and providing a service.
Jeff was very much missed with his friendly manner and entertaining.
It would have been nice if we had the option to have a drink at the bar rather than being ushered straight to our table.
To make our evening worse, we had a pint and a bottle of wine added to our bill which wasn't ours. Don't usually expect a bill to be wrong

• Visited March 2013
saints42york, General Manager at Brackenborough Bistro & Bar, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Thank you, I take your comments very seriously and would like to discuss your meal further, please call me on 01507 609169, please accept my apologies that we were not to your expectations,

Kind Regards,

Nick KIlmartin,
Louth
“Service Need Improving”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Live locally so often pop into the Brackenborough. This was our first trip since the announcement of a new chef so were looking forward to something different. On previous visits I would have said the food at times always seemed to be missing something. It seemed too much thought went into the presentation as opposed to the food. However what I can say is that seems to be turned around and I cannot fault the mains we had at all other than they were not really up to temperature. I had the burger which was tepid and neither mine or my wifes plates seemed warmed.
Our arrival was via the trade entrance as there are ongoing renovations. Not really a problem but had to sit in the driveway for about 5 minutes whilst a lorry was unloading. Had there have been some organising around parking this could have been avoided.
The main fault I found was the service. I always fear the worst when you arrive in a restaurant to find the staff are in the early 20's. There was no friendly greeting upon arrival and we weren't shown to a table, one member told us to sit where we liked. After getting sat down the waiter approached and after enquiring if there were only 2 of us asked if we we could move table.
Our order was taken, minus the drinks which I had to prompt him for as he turned to walk away.
The order seemed to take longer than I would have expected, enough time for the waiter to arrange tables around us and contantly walk through to the conservatory leaving the door open blowing cold air through every time. Despite me shutting this twice he still did so and eventually had to be informed.
The mains as I say were very good, the desert not so. It was supposed to have a salted caramel sauce. It didn't so had to be asked for. The waiter brought this in a little dish and tried to say the sauce was already on the desert and this dish was extra. Trust me you would be able to tell if the sauce was already on the desert. I'd have been happier if he'd just apologised instead of his attempt fob off.
Oh and when eating out I prefer to not be called "mate" or "pal".
In summary food is good, not the cheapest around but worth paying extra for. Service is poor and if it remains so on our next visit it will probably be our last.
For info our order no

2 Thank Middy2000
Thank you for your recent review, I must say that I am bitterly dissapointed with your feedback, and apologise profusely for your experience, I would be more than happy to discuss your lunch further, if you would be so kind as to call me on 01507 609169,

Kindest of Regards,