“Unbeatable for a special meal”

Serendipity at The Priory
Ranked #5 of 98 Restaurants in Louth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are a tiny and quirky restaurant offering a relaxed mystery local tasting experience to twenty guests Monday to Saturday starting at 7 p.m. with canapes and winding down around 10.30 p.m. Our passion is very much in celebrating the ingredients and seasons of Lincolnshire through a humble menu of several small tasting courses in a relaxed,welcoming and definitely unpretentious atmosphere.
Louth, Lincolnshire
“Unbeatable for a special meal”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Paul Hugill and his team provided us with a superb selection of dishes, no fewer than 15, but relatively small quantities, so your digestive system can cope ! A real change from the usual 3-course fare and for a special occasion with a lovely atmosphere the Priory is magnificent. They also do larger functions - we had 45 guests for a ruby wedding meal there four years ago, and all our guest commented favourably on the catering.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank JIR
Asparagoose, Owner at Serendipity at The Priory, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Thank you, it was great to welcome you back after a couple of years absence. Glad that you could enjoy what we've been up to in the meantime. We are very lucky to do what we do !!!

Louth, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, welcoming atmosphere, brilliant experience”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

After seeing a recent bad review I can only say - don't listen to it. I'm frankly shocked! We went to Serendipity for a colleague's birthday this week, there were 17 of us and we had the whole place to ourselves.
The food is great, we had a mixture of vegetarians, meat-eaters, people who don't eat fish, all sorts really, and they were all catered for superbly... I even got food envy looking at the veggie food, which is very unusual for me!
My boyfriend and I have decided that we love it so much that we will be coming here once a month from now on as a treat, it's just that good. It's a lovely little place with a welcoming and friendly staff. If you are looking for somewhere pretentious then this isn't for you, but if you are looking for somewhere special where you can relax and still feel like you're spoiling yourself with amazing food at the same time then this is where you should be. I can't recommend it enough. Especially the white chocolate cookies, I need the recipe!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank LiziRicko
Asparagoose, Owner at Serendipity at The Priory, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Sorry for delay in replying, thank you for your review, so glad you mentioned we are unpretentious.
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
“Lovely Tasting Menu and just as lovely hosts”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The restaurant had been recommended by a number of people and having experienced a number of tasting menu's at various uk and foreign hotels we decided to give The Priory a go.

The meal was billed as seven courses but more like fourteen arrived, all of them delicious and well crafted, even a mackerel dish, a fish both myself and my partner dislike was made to taste fanatic. No plate went un touched and we loved the whole experience, the food and the hosts everything made for a memorable evening and we will defiantly be back again soon.

If you are looking for pristine surroundings and somewhere that cares more about it's external image than it's food, then priory isn't for you, the priory is a beautiful old building and a pleasure to dine in, it's clean and even in the middle of winter on a cold wet January evening the open fires made it welcoming, if you care about great food a well crafted and thought out menu, an owner who obviously loves what he does and wants to please his customers then the priory will not disappoint you.

• Visited January 2014
Asparagoose, Owner at Serendipity at The Priory, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and thank you to your friends for recommending us. Sometimes when people get recommended or read the reviews they build up an expectation of somewhere fancy and perfect so I'm glad that you enjoyed your night and picked up on the fact that the contents of the box is more important to us than the wrapping and ribbon. Hope that we can welcome you back again and thank you for venturing out on a cold wintry weekend.
“Lost for words ......but not in a good way!!!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I find it utterly incredible how this restaurant has the positive reviews it has. Myself and my fellow diners were utterly speechless at the dreadful food. None of the four of us actually enjoyed anything. The cooking was amateurish and frankly bizarre. To serve a new potato as a canapé was extraordinary and to be honest as the courses went on we just found the experience comical. Every course was made up of cheap ingredients with little effort in preparing them. The price of £40 per head I think is outrageous and we left feeling totally ripped off.

I'm really sorry but to those who have described this place as 'out of this world' and 'amazing' I can only wonder! There's a reason why you don't see haslet around anymore!!!

Oh and the plastic tableware only added to the overall disaster. If you want to pay 40 quid for a couple of items picked from the deli counter at Asda then be my guest, but otherwise go to a proper restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
8 Thank Helenokane
Asparagoose, Owner at Serendipity at The Priory, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
As painful as it was to read this review I'm not going to get into some predictable response because I believe that Tripadvisor is here for people to share their opinions. I'm obviously deeply, deeply sorry that our guests did not enjoy their visit to our home but I thank them for this chance to just share a little about what we offer to anybody who might be considering visiting us.

We are a small, quirky but special team who turn up each night to welcome our guests for a relaxed, kick your shoes off and enjoy experience. Sure what we offer sometimes is simple and local but like anything you've got to be open to it to get it. If you arrive expecting expensive cheffy dishes with stiff formal service you'll be disappointed but if you want to be welcomed and looked after by a team of wonderful individuals who care about what they do and enjoy food which is about joy and not precision, tastes that are about simple pleasure and smiles then hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you.
London, United Kingdom
“A wonderful experience, so much to enjoy!”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I'd visited Louth may times before but never stayed to visit properly, and on a recommendation stayed for a night with the taster menu as an added attraction.
The meal was billed as seven courses but more like thirteen arrived, all of them delicious and well crafted. No plate went unscoffed! Now I'd heard of haslet but never tried it, one of the starters and one of the main courses included it and I'm now a convert. Superb.
The cooking, atmosphere, surroundings, staff and room (four poster - wow!) were all outstanding and I felt so at home with the hosts from the start, it made for a fantastic time.
I'll be back for a longer stay - no more needs to be said really!
Not really sure what Carol G the previous reviewer was expecting but it's a long way from my experience.

• Visited December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and share your experience. It was a bit of a challenging time for ingredients when you visited in December so I'm really glad to hear that you had a good night.