“Best of a bad lot”

The White Hart Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stayed here as the other Boston Hotels all appear too far out of town.
The courtyard I approached the hotel from, after parking in the free car park, was pleasant enough & the receptionist was very welcoming.
My first floor room seemed to take ages to get to & it looked out over the front of the hotel; it was okay - the window seats were cool but the bed (only a double) was a bit smaller than I'm used to.
Good wi-fi & decent shower, but it lacked any indication which way was hot & as a result seemed to take ages to warm up.
Didn't eat dinner at the hotel, but the menu looked great & I would have dined in the cool looking al fresco area if it had been a bit warmer.
Breakfast was good, as was the service, the best part being that they offered a full veggie breakfast!!!
Overall very good, but a little pricey.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jonny-Northerner
BulldogHotelGroup, Manager at The White Hart Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for your review of the White Hart Hotel.
We do indeed benefit from not only a great location in the centre of Boston, but the hotel is really set off by the delightful setting alongside the River Witham, I hope this was a positive for your stay also.
It is a shame that your didn’t have a chance to dine with us as both our recently refurbished restaurant, and our al fresco dining patio area offer superb locations to eat, and our recently launched menu is proving very popular. Hopefully a future stay may lend time to sampling our dining experience.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed here on the 14th June. Booked and exec room. Arrived early and the hotel were happy for us to check in early, very friendly staff and a great location. The room was fantastic with lots of space, lovely large comfortable bed and nicely decorated no complaints what so ever. We ate in the hotel restaurant and found the food very reasonably priced and very delicious, well done kitchen and front of house staff. Only wish the web site for this hotel told you when functions were on as the music went on till 00.30 and was a little disrupting but bearable. Overall great hotel, friendly staff and good food, will return. One suggestion replace the TV in room 101 as it turns itself off and back on, annoying when your watching a program.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the White Hart Hotel.
It is always great to receive positive feedback, and it was a joy to read through the lovely comments you made.
I would like to apologise if you were not informed of the event that we had on, our reception teams try to inform all guests when they book if there are events on, and I’m sorry if this information was not forthcoming.
Your fantastic comments regarding the hotel, and the staff in particular are pleasurable to read, and I’m sure all of the team here will enjoy reading through them.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

Thank goodness I was staying only one night. The double room was small, furnishings tasteless, no tea/coffee making facilities and a shower that barely worked. The interior is in desperate need of refurbishment. On the plus side the bed was comfortable and the staff friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Maggie R

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations.
We have recently refurbished our bedrooms, with new carpets throughout, and there are tea and coffee making facilities in your room, which are conveniently located in the rooms, should you have mentioned your difficulty in finding them to our reception team, they would have been more than happy to locate them for you.
Thank you for your kind words about the team here, they will be delighted to hear that their efforts have been noticed.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank Sandra S

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Book a family room, got a double with a small sofa bad with a very thin mattress on it & a quilt to match, our two teenage daughters did not want to share a small bed together so we took it & had the worst night sleep ever. The toilet did not flush very well, sound of running water most of the night.
The hotel is looking very dated, breakfast was good but did not make up for the bad night sleep we all had. We have stopped at Best western hotels before with no problems but would not stop at this one again & will think twice before booking a Best Western again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Alun052014

Thank you for your review of the White Hart Hotel.

I am disappointed to hear that your recent stay with us did not live up to your expectations.
I am also sorry to hear that you state you will not return, as I do believe that we have a great hotel to offer our guests, and if you were to give us another chance, you would see that we have a fantastic hotel, in a great listed building, and that our bar and restaurant facilities offer a relaxed dining experience with delicious food.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We chose the hotel because it appears, thinly disguised as The Roebuck, in Colin Watson's Flaxborough books, which are set in an equally thinly-disguised Boston. The staff go out of their way to be helpful, our room was comfortable, the building is lovely, Georgian and just across the old bridge from the market square. The restaurant was good enough to draw us back for dinner on the second night of our stay. Minor reservations were that the interior as a whole looked tired and much in need of a significant referbishment, and the standard-quality rooms are not really up to modern, good hote standards. Major reservation was that I arrived late on a Sunday afternoon, ahead of my wife, to be told that the Superior room I had booked was one very thin floor/ceiling away from the bar in which a raucous and jolly Salsa Evening was scheduled to continue to midnight - and told that I would be able to hear conversations and glasses chinking whenever the music stopped. I was showed a disappointing ordinary room and it was only when I said I would find somewhere else that I was offered one of the two Executive (better than Superior) rooms which was a little further away. The salsa evening was very loud, and I speak as someone not ususally borrowed by noise and they had no business renting rooms above it at normal rates and without a warning. It turned out ok, but it left a sour taste, spoilling what would otherwise have been a notably good stay. The hotel also caters for weddings, and you should check what events are booked before booking.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for one of the premium rooms. Check there re on events scheduled which you will parti...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the White Hart Hotel. It is great to hear that you chose the hotel because of cultural connections, although we aren’t sure of this link, it is always great to see different reason for people to visit.

I am sorry to hear of your issues regarding your room, it is our standard procedure to make our guests aware if they are staying in rooms near any function when booking, and I must apologise if this information was not forthcoming to yourself. I am pleased to hear that our Reception team were able to resolve your issues promptly by finding you one of our Executive rooms away from the function.

It is also with pleasure that I can say we are proactively refurbishing the hotel, and since your stay we have reopened our Riverside Restaurant after a 4 month refurbishment, and it is looking fantastic. I do hope you will revisit the White Hart Hotel and have a chance to dine in there.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Advertised as 4 star ,seriously not , 2 star nearer the truth , tired dated noisy & grubby . Staff pleasant , we were put in room over the bar without being warned , only got to sleep once bar closed could hear every conversation , when advised reception in morning said " oh you where in 106 that's very noisy along with 104 &5 you should have been told we thought as you were going to a wedding that you would be coming in late " !!! Breakfast also not great , toaster caught fire twice and tea tasted stale , Although a lovely building from the outside the inside is in desperate need of refurbishment , if a update is done internally I'm sure could be good place stay as location couldn't be better.

Room Tip: Ensure you are not over the bar rooms 104-5-6
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nutella7789
BulldogHotelGroup, Manager at The White Hart Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us.
We are a 3 star hotel in the centre of a busy market town & we do have a lively weekend trade in our main Courtyard bar.
I am sorry to read that you were not informed of possible noise when checking in. As confirmed by our receptionist, this is normal practice especially at weekends. It may have been with the special early check-in that we organised for you at 11am, and the fact that you were attending a wedding reception until late in the evening, that it may have slipped the mind of the receptionist on duty. I will remind them for future bookings.
Unfortunately, if the fresh loaves of bread we supply for breakfast are not sliced correctly or put in lengthways instead of sideways into the conveyor toaster, they can sometimes get stuck which I believe is what happened. I was pleased to hear that we organised your toast to be made for you by one of our chefs.
Our Courtyard Bar and downstairs areas were all completely refurbished just 18 months ago. I am delighted to confirm that we have new corridor carpets on order and these will be laid after the completion of the renovation and refurbishment works to our Riverside Restaurant, which was unfortunately, damaged during the December flooding in Boston. I do hope you will come back and visit us again and hopefully to enjoy the new surroundings of our refurbished restaurant.

Kind Regards
Alan Bloomfield

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Boston West Hotel
The Admiral Rodney Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House
Best Western Vine Hotel
Best Western Vine Hotel
#6 of 25 in Skegness

Been to The White Hart Hotel, Eatery & Coffee House? Share your experiences!