“Not what it wants to be”

Waterfront Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Having heard good things about this place we, we took friends over for a chance to eat good food and catch up. The setting itself is nice, but wasn't sure whether I was walking into the restaurant or the security place next door. Gin and tonics arrived in hideous heavy tumblers. When asked for different glasses, we were told there weren't any due to a party upstairs, only for our water to be served in the glasses we requested.
3 of us ordered the monkfish, to then be told they'd run out (why not tell us when we received the menus), so we ordered ham, mozzarella and fig starter, only for it to arrive without figs. When we asked the waitress if it came with gigs, she didn't know. We were then presented with a bowl of undressed figs on the table. My first bread roll was soggy on the base. Forgivable (maybe)..Returned. My second bread roll was soggy on the base. Unforgivable. Returned. My THIRD bread roll was soggy. Criminal! Manageress was very apologetic, deducted the starters from our bill and blamed the soggy rolls on the supplier.
My main of lamb was ok. Nice meat, but with watery bisto gravy, and not a hint of the rosemary it claimed to contain.
Dessert of tart tartin was lovely, but the vanilla creme fraiche contained no discernible vanilla. And it was served with my spoon handle in the sauce.
A great night out with friends, in a lovely building, for over-priced, bland food, with poor attention to detail. Someone needs a severe wake up call, or this place won't last long. Not a patch on Ascoughs, for much more money.

2  Thank neil8873

Reviewed November 15, 2013

had lunch today been quite a few times recently very nice staff helpful and chatty we enjoy the surroundings very tasty food.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I went to The Waterfront today, for lunch with family. We hadn't been to their carvery before but we will definitely be going again. The food was excellent - we all had different things and were all equally happy. The beef was very tender and beautifully cooked. And I'm pleased I had time for a pudding - I can highly recommend the Grand Marnier bread and butter pudding...
Although it was busy, the service was very good. We had a relaxed lunch and weren't rushed at all. Hoping to go again next week!

1  Thank Cally N
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Dinner Jazz night sounds relaxed and chilled but the service was rushed and the food was cold. Don't try the Calamari, agree with previous review " starter which was described as calamari on a skewer with lime was the smallest amount of squid with courgette on a bed of lettuce - all you could taste was lime, and the 'skewer' was not much bigger than a cocktail stick all for £5.95! At over £50.00 for two, with a couple of glasses of wine, poor value for money.

2  Thank GeorgeC00
Reviewed November 4, 2013

The only reason I have been here three times is because my in-laws like it and have treated us. We went Sunday 3rd November, we had booked and had a table with a lovely view over the canal basin. Although it was busy we felt that we were not listened to. The mature front of house lady got our initial drink order wrong. The chicken pate starter was ice cold and dry, served with tasteless leaves and ice cold cheap, tasteless cherry tomatoes. The seafood kebabs were warm, the skinny chips dry and tasteless. Whilst waiting for dessert ( I didn't bother) my husband ordered a soft drink with no ice, which arrived full of ice - again, it felt that we were simply not listened to. On previous occasions the food has been smothered in butter, steak served on a wooden chopping board which resulted in butter/juices going all over the table etc. We were served our food by a lovely waitress, but all else poor.

2  Thank derry162