“Friendly welcome..”

Angel Hotel
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“Friendly welcome..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

I went to Market Harborough yesterday for a birthday party, nice place by the way and spotlessly clean, and stayed at The Angel Hotel in the centre of town.
Very easy to find, smack bang in the centre of town with ample car parking behind the hotel, there is an arch to go through to the parking bays so if you have a very tall vehicle you may need to watch your roof.
Very friendly welcome by the staff, and helpful with directions, taxi's etc.
No lift and creaky floors, but it is an old building. The room was big and airy,clean and well presented, smashing big bathroom with sumptuous bath and thick soft towels.
Coffe and tea facilities and hairdryer provided in the room, iron and ironing board,also a fan and a fan heater in the cupboard ready for use whatever the weather!
Altogther a lovely place to stay, not cheap, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for and at The Angel Hotel it was worth every penny.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Icecream455

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Great hotel. We stupidly booked the wrong dates and the man on Reception, Steven managed to change our booking quickly and we managed to enjoy our stay. It was great as we realised it was our mistake and the hotel was most accommodating. Excellent breakfast in the morning too. Thank you so much to all the staff :) Well recommended

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank M D
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Compared to another hotel near by this a bit over priced . Rooms are clean but require updating . No food before 18:00 hrs which forced me to walk and eat out. Staff happy to help , stairs only no lift , plenty of parking at the back , on the main road in the centre of town a good spot

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank BMorriss
Marlow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Well, we had 3 rooms booked. Room 2, the most expensive (£100), lovely bathroom. Room 20 (£70) a little noisy, shower a bit hit and miss in temperature, generally ok. Room 36S (£60) AVOID! Very noisy plumbing, cobwebs and because it is classed as a 'smoking room (S) stank of cigarettes! Asked to be moved but could not as hotel was full. Poor! Thought ALL hotel rooms were NON smoking!
Breakfast pretty good!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Bunchyboo123
Pool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

My wife and I visited Market Harborough last Friday to say for one night whilst visiting our newly arrived grandson. What a lovely traditional hotel. An old coaching inn with big rooms, a superb breakfast and a real local atmosphere in the bar. We will be back for sure. Roger & Zofia Allen

Room Tip: We stayed in the stable block, no noise at all. Great bathroom and large double bedroom.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Roger A
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

I'm reviewing this as a restaurant but I think our impression of it is indicative of what to expect from the hotel. We arrived in Market Harborough on a day out looking for Sunday lunch. The Angel Hotel looked scruffy from the outside eg letters missing from the name, but the set lunch seemed reasonable. Inside it is also shabby (and not shabby chic). It looks as if not much care has been taken of it since the1950s. When we asked for a table for lunch, on the dot of 2 o'clock, we were told that they had stopped serving hot food (I wonder when they actually started) but they could do sandwiches. Needless to say, we didn't stay so that was £36 they were turning away, which we spent at Wildwood.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jacquir88

Travelers are raving about these Market Harborough hotels

Dorset, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for several nights in a family room. First the good...

Good:

The majority of the hotel staff were friendly and helpful.
Any requests were helpfully answered by reception and wait staff.
The location is excellent with free parking.
There was a good breakfast selection and it was fresh.
The building is historic and very interesting.
The bar is very well stocked and had a pleasant atmosphere.
Parking was ample.

Not so good:

Strange musty smells in some of the corridors.
Very very small TV.
Bed Pillows were flat.
Shower pressure was rather low.
No room key available for the first 2 nights.
No in-room safe. No in-room fridge or mini-bar.
Manager not particularly friendly or helpful. By chance the manager was working one of the first nights of our stay. He didn't introduce himself of say any words of welcome. I only knew he was the manager because another member of staff had pointed him out to me the day before. I asked him about WiFi in our room and his reply was that - they don't guarantee wireless coverage in all the rooms. His reply was perhaps factual but he was not friendly, did not attempt to make us feel like welcome guests, or try to give us any means of apology.

Bad:

Dirty carpets in room.
Bathroom Sink - partial blockage not cleared - the cleaners must know about this as they wipe and wash the sinks daily but it remained blocked and water drained very slowly.
Room not fully cleaned (surfaces left dirty, crumbs left on carpets). I suspect surfaces are wiped down with a wet rag but are not cleaned. I cleaned the coffee table and side table with a wet wipe and saw that it was very dirty after I used it.
No WiFi in our room. Not all the hotel has wireless coverage. I think that in this day that's pretty poor. It meant I couldn't use my tablet or work when I wanted. There was WiFi in the bar and reception area but traveling with a small child means that I'm stuck to being in the room...I can't leave a child and go down to the bar to use wireless to work.

In addition:
The decor is a bit tired and could use an update. Also we could hear small animals (mice / rats / pigeons?) scrabbling about in the eaves and under the roof which was directly over our room (number 10). They made a lot of noise. As long as they were in the roof and not the room I didn't mind but some people might find the noise disturbing.

We come to Market Harborough at least once a year to visit family. Last time we stayed in another hotel nearby (which was much better, with regards to cleanliness of the room and all the staff, including the manager, were helpful and friendly). I hope standards at the Angel are going to change for the better, it would be nice to come back here if the rooms were cleaned properly and the other things I mentioned were sorted out.

I have written a complaint to the owner. I didn't feel that I was able to complain about the cleanliness etc. during my stay partly because the manager was unreceptive about my first complaint (re WiFi).

Room Tip: Room 10 is very spacious family room with a bath - but if your are a light sleeper beware! The room...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3.0 of 5 bubbles 4,064 reviews
Highgate House Hotel
Highgate House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Creaton

Been to Angel Hotel? Share your experiences!