“Good sized room”

The Three Swans Hotel
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Good sized room”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed here overnight to attend a wedding at Kelmarsh Manor which is about 5 miles away. The hotel offered a taxi service to and from the function included in the stay for about £10 extra which we thought was very reasonable. It's worth noting the car park has a different postcode to the hotel as it's accessed by a different road but we found it quite easily and we thought there was ample parking. Our room was 111 which was a very good size. It was clean with a comfy bed although when we first walked in the heating had been on and it was boiling in there! Once we had turned the heating off and opened the window it was fine though. The only problem really with our room was that it looked out on to the road and when it had suitably cooled down the window had to be closed as the noise of the cars and people walking past was very loud. The windows were very good at blocking out the noise when they were closed though and we both had a decent night's sleep. Breakfast was pretty good with plenty of variety including cereals, pastries, yoghurts aswell as bacon/sausages etc. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the only problem I had was that I found some sort of hair/fluff on my breakfast but it didn't look too sinister so I didn't complain. We had a couple of friends who stayed at the hotel and their room was in a different part of the hotel. Their room was smaller than ours and they did mention they could hear the neighbour's shower through the wall but there were no complaints other than that. The shower was especially good and having a second shower just to make the most of it was considered! The only problem with the shower was that the bath plug didnt come out and it took forever for the water to drain away so you hand to stand in a bath full of water but this wasn't exactly a huge problem. The flush on the toilet was also incredibly loud! We would be more than happy to stay here again.

1 Thank MichaelaChris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Cornwall
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I checked in for two nights at the Three Swans and after two laps of the town found the carpark entrance to the rear of the hotel. After getting parked I eventually found reception which again wasn't as easy as it could be.

I was allocated a room across the courtyard which although a little tired looking appeared clean and had a comfortable bed. One thing that needs changing is the free wifi, the complexity and lengths of the logins were a pain especially when using two different devices and the fact they kept being logged out whenever I left them briefly. It's the first time I've had these sort of problems so I would suggest it could be easily addressed.

I ate in the conservatory on the first night and for all the experience was a little strange sitting on plastic furniture the food was very nice, however over £3 for a pint of blackcurrant and soda water is disgusting (when I questioned this with reception I was assured it was the correct price. The second night I ate in the bar and enjoyed it a lot more along with a decent pint of Cornish ale (go figure). Also worth noting is the fact that all and sundry use the hotel as a cut through so there was some late night noise to contend with, I have to say I'm not sure why the gates aren't secured to prevent this kind of thing? Breakfast on both mornings was fine with a buffet for both hot and cold options in the upstairs restaurant.

Check out was easy enough and overall I think I'd use the hotel again when I'm in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Eastbourne, UK
Reviewed April 27, 2013

A very good hotel right in the town centre. There is plenty of parking on-site. The adjoining pub serves real ale and good food. The rooms are a good size, with a comfortable bed. Whilst dated, the bathrooms are in good condition and very clean. My only complaint is that breakfast didn't begin until 7am, which was too late for my early start.

Room Tip: Room 61 was good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed overnight on a groupon deal. The room was spotless, bathroom excellent, plenty of hot water, fresh white towels,all the facilities of a good hotel. Breakfast was self service, eat as much as you want. All the food available was hot and nicely presented. The service from all the staff we encountered was excellent. All in all a very enjoyable stay, we would certainly stay again. Classed as a 3 star, but as good as a good 4 star.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Popped in during a Saturday shopping trip for a lunch and a pint. Great selection of food and snacks. Service was great and staff friendly and courteous. Only gripe was all the tables were reserved next to the windows. If you going to eat then eat at the time you visit! Other than that top notch.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I live locally to this hotel and it has always had a good reputation. Stayed here this week for a friends wedding. Stayed in a standard room priced at £60 b&b. first thing I noticed was that the room was very small but this wasn't too much of an issue as we were only sleeping there. Bed was a standard double and was comfy with decent pillows. There was a wardrobe, desk and ironing board which was useful. The main room appeared clean. When we entered the room the heating had been left on which was lovely as the walk outside from reception whilst short was bitterly cold. The problem for me lay with the bathroom. Firstly to note, the bathroom was a shower only not generally an issue but still worth noting. Secondly the housekeeping standards were poor. There were hairs on the floor, which to me is inexcusable and whilst the obvious areas had been cleaned when I dropped something and had to retrieve it from under the sink, it was filthy - thick dust and grime. The towels provided were a good size and good quality. We are in the restaurant on arrival and again the food was nice but very over priced. There are a lot of nice restaurants in market harborough so I would recommend venturing out and trying one of those. The breakfast had a good selection and was kept topped up so no issues there.

All in all a fairly standard hotel. I wouldn't pay any more than I did and would certainly dine elsewhere. The housekeeping standards definitely need reviewing though!

• Stayed April 2013
Cambridge
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 2 nights with a group of 22 and couldn't fault the overall value. The staff were friendly, efficient and always willing to please and the food very good, especially the homemade granola for breakfast. I had this on a previous visit 2 years ago so was not disappointed this time. The other meal worth mentioning was the beef medalions - just as I like them and again I was not disappointed as the meal I was expecting and had ordered prior to the visit was roast beef with Yorkshire pudding!!

The room I had was perfectly adequate; a good size, clean and well appointed with the only negative comment being it was a little tired and in need of a lick of paint plus one had to walk outside to the restaurant, reception etc which actually didn't bode well in the recent freezing cold. The general character of the hotel gives it huge charm and it has a lot of history going back centuries. Interesting.

Ok - I had best mention - the church bell which tolls on every hour including through the night! If one is a poor sleeper take ear plugs! The situation couldn't have been better right in the middle of town with some first-rate shops mixed in with the chains one usually finds in town centres. Market Harborough is an appealing old town and well worth a visit

Room Tip: Depending on your pocket try to get a refurbished room or a room in the main block, which I believe...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Oundle
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews
Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa

Been to The Three Swans Hotel? Share your experiences!