“Bistr-oh my goodness”
Review of Ascough's Bistro

Ascough's Bistro
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated in the picturesque town of Market Harborough, Ascough’s offers a stylish and relaxed dining experience. Ascough’s prides itself on serving delicious contemporary dishes and producing everything on the premises from bread and biscuits to ice creams and sorbets. The reasonably set lunch and evening menus offer an excellent array of meat, fish and vegetarian options that will stretch your imagination but not the purse strings. So whether you’re planning an intimate meal for two, a friendly get together, special occasion or even a wedding breakfast, Ascough’s is the perfect venue and always look forward to welcoming you and members of your company.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Right, dear reader, sit up and pay attention. This place is worth knowing about.

Firstly, another note of thanks to TripAdvisor readers for making Ascough's no.1 and meaning that we would visit it without any further thought needed.

Now, the important bit, the food. Ms. Red V kicked off with a smoked halibut Scotch egg, Sauce Gribiche and citrus salad, which was extremely tasty and cooked to perfection. I went for honey roasted ham, pineapple fritter, mollet egg and pea puree which had it all - sweet pineapple, salty ham and an egg I've never heard of, again cooked to perfection.

Mains, and her good self had griddled aubergine & goats cheese, creamy egg & pine nut spaghetti. Not really my sort of thing, but she does enjoy her pasta and declared it to be delicious and perfectly balanced. I followed up with breast of duck, Irish white pudding, pressed potatoes and chorizo crumb. I don't know if it was a ruddy duck, but it was ruddy marvellous (see what I did there?). The duck was perfectly cooked and so tasty, the potato was creamy and melted in the mouth and I could have ate a bucket of the chorizo crumb on its' own. The meals came with vegetables, including my favourite braised red cabbage and garlic new potatoes, and, as ever, we overdid it completely by having some excellent home cooked chips (even my hotel reviews are starting to have the word "chips" in them).

Usually, I wouldn't bother with a pud and generally go for a cheese board, but I spotted Baked Alaska on the menu and I have never had it. Very 70's, and with me being a bright young thing I don't think I've even seen it on a menu, so I ordered. It was the best dessert I have ever had, bar none. I remember Arctic Roll well (stay with me) as a child of the 70's and this was like an Arctic Roll that God made, but with meringue. It was truly epic. Herself had lemon and fig slice with vanilla mascarpone, which she declared as delicious. Mine was better though!

We had three fantastic courses and a few drinks each and received a bill for £74, which is truly astonishing in this day and age. The service was excellent, the surroundings stylish but relaxed, and the location perfect. I can't say enough nice things about the place. I only wish it was a bit nearer to my house

2  Thank Red_V_Rover
There are newer reviews for Ascough's Bistro

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Another visit to Ascoughs Bistro proves consistently high standards. A menu with small quirks to everyone else, beautifully cooked and presented, and the value for money for a meal of this standard = superb. Service, presentation and quality is, quite frankly, excellent.

Ian & Doreen Carter
Northampton

Reviewed July 27, 2013

My last visit the food was not as good as it usually is and the thing that really annoyed me is that they cheekily added a service charge which was more than genourous. I like to tip and tip genrously however I think it is extremely cheeky to expect a better than average tip! For me I probably would not bother again as I think the Three Swans is on par and don't think they do this!

1  Thank Holidayer0088
Reviewed July 24, 2013

... and a very pleasurable one at that after another fabulous meal at Ascough's Bistro yesterday. Once again fabulous food combined with great service and all at an incredibly good price. The stand out dish for me yesterday was the dessert, with mini toffee apples; a work of art that tasted devine.
Can't wait for another visit!

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely experience we had at Ascoughs for lunch. Food is of an excellent quality and the value is just superb. Will certainly return soon for dinner. Much better than chains like Zizi's (even if you have got a money off voucher)... Ascoughs use fresh ingredients and make everything themselves including the icecreams, but the value for money means your probably spending no more. Thanks Ascoughs for making my birthday lunch a fantastic one!