“Food Fantastic but slow and confused”

The Castle Inn & Sleeper
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Market Harborough
The Castle Inn & Sleeper
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Billeted in the Sleeper across the road from the restaurant we arrived to be locked out, not a good start. The room was basic (boys scout dorm sprang to mind but the price indicated it would be - £35 p.n). Ill fitting single glazed windows meant the whole party was particularly cold all night. The bedding was meagre, think tracing paper and you have the thickness of the duvet! I was the lucky one with a spare blanket. The windows again caused a problem, anyone at the front of the building enjoyed the traffic noise of lorries rumbling off of Corby Industrial Estate throughout the night. My bathroom vanity mirror was not working so make up applied alongside a dim watted bedside lamp and worst of all was the mould in the shower. As I didn't fancy inhaling micro-spores in a small steamy cubicle it meant a wash at the sink. Others reported no hot water if you weren't amongst the first to wash and reports from the cobwebbed rooms above the restaurant didn't fair any better. If our company aims to go to the restaurant again (based on the excellent quality of the food) I shall book in elsewhere and fund the difference, it would be worth it to be in a warm, comfortable, clean and quiet room!

I have to say the only thing that gave us any comfort was the quality of the food and the friendly and accommodating nature of the chef and waiting staff. However, the food was extraordinarily slow to arrive, and of a party of 20 (who volunteered to pre-order) many meals were completely wrong, despite several attemps to correct people gave up and ate what had arrived. One of our party had his meal arrive 20 minutes after everyone else had finished eating...then it came out twice! Anyone got room for an extra steak dinner?

Breakfast the following morning was again well cooked and although it was a one-size fits all you are given a choice of how you want your eggs and the chef was move than accommodating with take-away bacon butty for one of our group.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Booked an early evening Sunday dinner visit to try out this restaurant.

Pleasant greeting on arrival, and once we had ordered our apperitifs were taken to our table.

We were left with the menus and informed about the "specials board" and left to peruse at our leisure.

My wife chose her stater and main course from the specials (scallops followed by the swordfish) whilst I chose from the main menu (squid followed by the fillet chef Valentin)

Our orders were taken and we were offered the extensive wine list, we chose a wonderful red from the Puglia region of Italy.

Both the scallops and squid were cooked perfectly (we tend to taste each others food). Followed after a moderate and perfectly timed wait (remember everything is cooked to order) our main courses arrived. Again cooked perfectly. Not smothered in sauces (so you can't taste the food only the sauce) They were sublime.

Being a pudding lover I always have a "pudding pocket" in reserve so I ordered the sticky toffee pudding with some ice cream and esspressos for us both.

Well again my dessert was perfect, and the coffees! Oh the coffees, proper esspresso (so good the wife had two!), not the muck sold under the guise of esspresso at most places. Had I not been driving home I would have finished the meal of with some grappa.

The food was wonderful and we were met by the Chef (a nice and very talented man).

So in conclusion

Service : - discreet and not in your face, perfect

Food: - SUBLIME

Wines: - an excellent selection

Coffee : - Ambrosia

Price : - Extremely reasonable All in less than £100

Would we visit there again: - Oh yes

Would we recommend: - Yes, yes yes

If you want fast food, don't visit, go to Muckdonalds!

If you want to be pestered by overbearing staff go to one of the corperate chains!

If you want very good, tasty food in a pleasant environment at a relaxed pace and reasonable prices you really must visit this place. I can't remember having a nicer meal in this coutry...

We will be back there!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

For my wife's 'landmark' birthday we chose the Castle Inn for Sunday lunch today. We had booked a table for six, sister-in-law and husband with niece and fiance. We received a warm welcome and were shown to our table. We were given the menus and our drinks orders taken.

The food was well presented, fresh and delicious. All six plates were cleared. The desserts also did not disappoint.

Throughout our meal the staff kept a discreet watchful check on our progress.

The bill was a pleasant surprise. We felt it good value for money, and will certainly dine there again. Well done.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was our first and last visit to The Castle. We waited 25 minutes before we eventually found somebody to take our drinks order (we made sure they took our food order as well). All of the food was of a good standard - although a little on the dry side. However, we had to find somebody again to give us some desserts menus, then had to find somebody after a further 15 minutes to take our order (after a second person came with some menus and then took them all away, sighing). It took three attempts to order a drink and finally get one. The waitress who delivered our desserts came with the first tiramisu (although she told us she had no idea what it was but there were some more of these to come and there was a pink one on its way as well!) All in all it took 2 and a half hours to get through a 2 course meal for 5 people. When we complained to the manger for the evening, she said that they were one person down but it was the best that they could have done. If that's the case then this is certainly somehwere to be avoided at all costs. The service was appalling - we will certainly never go back, especially when there are some other lovely pubs with excellent food in nearby Caldecott and Rockingam.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Food was good, the barman was very pleasant yet the (I assumed him to be) owner/manager was incredibly rude and made us feel very uncomfortable (shouting about us to the kitchen, across the bar, so everybody could hear). I find it amazing that in this economic climate a business would ever risk behaving like that. I work in hospitality and if I had ever behaved as he did I would have been nailed to the nearest wall. It looks like many of the other reviewers have had the same experience with the customer service.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Ate at the Italian restaurant on a Friday night. Very warm, friendly welcome from all the staff.

Started with some wonderfully light, crisp just cooked focaccia bread, then we both had squid in batter. It was light, tasty with a lovely salad with a very nice light salad dressing. Then I had italian chicken in batter and spaghetti, the pasta was perfectly cooked with a very tasty tomato sauce, the chicken was delicious. My wife had lasagne which was very tasty and again surprisingly light.

Finally for the tour de force, the chef recommended to us we have chocolate fondant, which wasn't on the menu, so we shared one portion. It was heaven on a plate, one of the best puddings I have ever eaten (and I'm well travelled and a good age). Perfectly cooked, rich fondant, lovely ice cream, and a well presented small fruit salad on the side, all looking great on the plate.

All in all, exactly £50 for as good as a three course meal for two with a couple of drinks. Service was very quick, very friendly, maybe a little too enthusiastic, but very welcoming.

It's a long way for us to drive, but we'll be back, we both loved the food.

I've never written a review before but we enjoyed this so much I had to say thank you.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan B
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stopped here for 2 nights over the Birdfair weekend and were pleasantly surprised by the high standard of the room.
The room was modern, roomy, clean and the bathroom was first class.
The inn over the road is actually an Italian restaurant with a bar but serves excellent fresh food and pizzas, with a menu to suit all tastes - including English favourites such as steak pie and fish and chips.
My steak was perfect and my wife had a perfect lasagne.
The service was slow but we had all evening to sit and enjoy and with a packed house you can't expect express service.
The pizza chef was a whizz and although we didn't partake of one, many did and they looked and smelled wonderful.
The full english breakfasts were also good on both mornings - enough to set you up for the day.
Hopefully we will be back with friends later in the year.

Room Tip: Previous comments suggest there may be rooms in the inn itself but I would ask for a room in the sle...