“Comfort”

Ranked #1 of 3 Nailsworth B&B and Inns
York, United Kingdom
“Comfort”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We needed somewhere for two nights to attend a friend's sixtieth birthday bash. The room is above the restaurant; it was very comfortable. Great bed, great bathroom, quiet. Very helpful owner and staff, even when I locked us out of our room. Excellent breakfast. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Mumbles
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed in the apartment above the restaurant, which in itself is an experience. The ecletic mix of furniture took us back to our teens. Be warned the constant traffic passes just under the accomodation. However the charm of the place more than makes up for it, and it didn't worry us. We had lunch and dinner, both which we thoroughly enjoyed. Mat Folas made us very welcome and told us of his plans for the future, which seems to be to fufill the desire to prepare food he either catches or forages for. Maybe his dream will then be realised.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My partner and I had booked a special treat weekend in the Cotswolds which included dinner on one night and I looked around to find a good restaurant for the second. Wild Garlic had such good reviews on top table I immediately booked, but now wish I hadn't!
I have rated it average, and the food was indeed average, but for service I wish I could give poor. For the price of the food the service was appalling, we were neglected throughout the evening.
When we arrived we were shown to our table and had our coats taken. We weren't given menus and shortly our waitress arrived and asked for our drinks order, we hesitated as we had no menus so she promised to give us "a couple more minutes". TWENTY minutes later she returned, and having taken our order we were finally given the food menus, although she gave us the vegetarian tasting menu and not the meat and fish options.
Having ordered the food came fairly quickly, the scallops and black pudding were pleasant but neither of us could taste the raisin and caper sauce.
When our plates were collected we were asked if we would like more drinks. Wild Garlic claims to pride itself on its wine list- but we never saw one! I have never been to a restaurant where you have to ask for the wine list, so we just settled for the house red in the absense of anything else... Neither were we offered water- again this is something that would normally be offered not something to ask for.
We both had the beef rump for main course, and to be honest it was average. It was the sort of thing I would expect to pay £13.95 for in a chain steak house, but they are charging £19.95! The salad and the chips were nothing special.
When our plates were collected we asked to see the dessert menu... fifteen minutes later our waitress came back to ask if we wanted tea or coffee- we had not even had the dessert menu!!!! She hastily brought it over. We had seen all our fellow dinners receive a speciality sorbet in between main and dessert- we did not receive this. We informed the manager when we paid and he was apologetic.
The manager came and put spoons on our table for dessert- I had to point out to him that we had ordered the cheese platter- a basic mistake that I would not expect from a manager!
The cheeses were lovely but were not explained to us when they were brought so we were left to remember what had been on the menu and guess.
Overall I was thoroughly disappointed, for the price we paid I would expect far far more from a restaurant if we were eating out in our home town.
I will certainly not go back, or recommend Wild Garlic to friends. Although they were busy that is no excuse for neglecting some diners over others, all customers should be treated the same in a restaurant.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IM295
south west england
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The wild garlic is one of a number of restaurants in the area which compete with each other for customers throughout the year. On the corner of the main Nailsworth drive through this restaurant is a small and compact business offering decently priced food. From the time my wife and I entered the restauarant to the time we left we experienced a very professional and well managed team.

The latest travel zoo offer of a lunch time two course meal for 9.95 per Person was a very decent shout for a cold and miserable February afternoon.

The menu is chosen with a lot of thought, and five or six choices for starters and mains is all you need to know that the chef has mastered a tasty and well thought out menu. The tasting proves this and accompanied glasses of wine for 4 pounds, and some delicious nibbles of feta lemon cheese, garlic rosemary bread and oil, olives and almond nuts was superb. I only wish after the starter of confit duck and salad my wife's choice of the pâté and toast (superb) that I could have rung a bell, frozen time and just spent a few minutes savouring the superb concoction of flavours developed by the very clever chef and team in he kitchen. I had the sausage carousel and my Wife the stone bass with lovely and crispy chips washed down by a bottle of local natural spring water. The whole meal, two courses each, three glasses of wine, extra nibbles ( a must ) bread and hot cheese savouries was a fantastic two hours away from the usual and normal Saturday afternoon in Gloucestershire. And all for 23 pounds each. Go on do it, and treat yourself. 9/10 punk rock points.

• Stayed February 2012
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Set in the backdrop of the beautiful rolling hills of the Cotswold The Wild Garlic has a lot of potential and it certainly offers a nice menu. However it is terribly overpriced complimented by an inattentive and careless service.

After specifically asking our waiter (who we believe to be the manager) to have the duck cooked medium well-done it came back 45 minutes later rare. This would have been somewhat excusable, if he had not 5 minutes after that brought us out two vegetarian starters at the same time (when we in fact ordered one veggie starter and a veggie main) the place was hardly full, intact we the the only table in when we ordered.
After telling him it looked like a starter, he looked puzzeled and left for the kitchen to find out, in this time another member of staff felt it her duty to apologised on his behalf.

Nonetheless when my sisters stake finally arrived it was cold. He was then hesitant to give her the salt and peppers arguing that, the chefs had seasons it perfectly, and that there was no need. In the end with a dash of salt and pepper the stakes were lovely as was the rest of the food. The other two members of staff were perfectly nice and we had no problem with them.

Our experience of the restaurant was needless to say below average, After we left we went to The Britannia across the road where we bought two perfectly nice pizzas which didn't cost an arm and a leg and actually filled us up.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Heathfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2011

First the restaurant, which is small, nicely decorated and comfortable. The service was also very good. But the star of the show has to be the wonderful food. We had the tasting menu and I would highly recommend that others do the same.
Now the rooms. We stayed in one of the rooms for two nights. They are comfortable and the owner very welcoming and helpful. The room are at the back of the restaurant, with their own entrance up some steps so you can come and go as you please. Breakfast was cooked to order from excellent local produce and we were able to spend as long as we liked planning our day and chatting over coffee. There is no on site parking, but you can use the free local car parks, although finding a space on a Saturday can be a challenge.

Room Tip: Shortwood is in my opinion the best room as it has a lovely window, although for a longer stay Chest...