“Wow!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of mark@street - CLOSED

mark@street
Cuisines: British, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Luton
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was making my second visit to Nailsworth (although the first time I have done anything other than just go to the football at Forest Green), and our evening at mark@street was a definite highlight.

Food - delicious (and, I'm told, locally sourced where possible too - so credit for that). My scallops starter was particularly good. And if you're having dessert, please, please have the cheese selection - I promise that you won't be disappointed. The presentation of each and every dish was also stunning, and you can tell the chef takes great pride in each plate.

Wine - some very tempting reds to try and, while undoubtedly good value for the connoisseurs out there, a little above my price range - so my wallet won that argument. That said, the Cabernet Sauvignon I was drinking (think it was in the £20/£22 a bottle region) slipped down an absolute treat.

Service - first class. The waitresses were friendly, polite, hospitable and knowledgeable about the menu - everything you could want. Even though the restaurant was full, we weren't left waiting long periods for our courses or drinks to be replenished.

Value - yes it's going to set you back a little more than your 'average' diner, but considering the quality of the meal, it was worth every penny.

Venue - the restaurant itself is small (when you walk in you think there's literally a couple of tables and a bar area - but don't panic, a couple of steps takes you to another area with more tables). There's very much a 'boutique' feel about the place and a cosy atmos - and personally I thought it led to a more pleasurable experience.

Would I recommend? I think you can probably work out from the above that I absolutely would!

• Visited October 2012

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“First Class Dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We visited the restaurant on a Saturday with friends as a pre birthday treat. Without exception, we enjoyed everything that was put in front of us, all made better by the descriptions provided by the young waitresses. There was a good choice of wine, not over priced, and the Terrass Merlot was far to drinkable and the first bottle disappeared very quickly.
If I were pushed to find fault then the tables in the bar area were a little tight and there needed to be some table shuffling if anyone wanted to get in or out.
Overall, however, we had a great evening and will certainly be back.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Stroud
“Anniversary disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Oh dear me felt like we were at a different restaurant to the one with the good reviews! Uninspiring service with a very poor welcome, 50 min wait for something to eat after ordering unless you include the rock like bread and very dry meal on arrival with a distinct lack of sauce to help the tough meat go down. Thankfully my husband cooks much better so I can look forward to a nice meal tomorrow!

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Brunch and Lunch outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

First we went for a family brunch. Absolutely delicious. Perfect 'full English', and perfectly cooked Eggs Benedict. Fresh, quality ingredients and relaxed, friendly service. Mark the chef even came out to chat to us. On the strength of this we booked Sunday lunch. Such a treat to have a perfectly cooked meal in lovely relaxed surroundings. The food was excellently cooked and beautifully presented. The portions were plentiful, in fact too much for us to finish. The chocolate brownie was to die for. All in all a lovely relaxed meal, unhurried with no hovering waiting staff in pleasant surroundings. Can't wait to go for dinner!

• Visited October 2012
“Warm friendly atmospere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Me and my husband have visited mark@street about 4 or 5 times now and have never been dissapointed, service is outstanding and food is very nuch worth the money, an excellent wine selection to suit all tastes, have already recommended mark@street to many people and will continue to do so