The Roadmaker Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Newent
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have family who live nearby and we usually try and bring them here for a meal when we stay.

The food is always excellent and the menu covers a good range of spice levels to cover everyone's tastes. There is a reasonable wine menu and it is always busy when we have been.

The food is freshly cooked and as another reviewer has said it doesn't come swimming in oil. I had chilli chicken on this visit and it was lovely especially for a chilli fan.

The staff are always friendly. However (and I hate to gripe because I really like it here) on our recent visit over Easter it took over an hour to get our food. It was incredibly busy and I think our waiter was new. Our table was booked for 7.45 and we had ordered by 8.00pm but the food didn't arrive until after 9.00pm and that was after we had asked about it. Even the poppadums didn't arrive until we asked for them. But this is the first time this has happened and we have been 4 or 5 times before so hopefully was only a one-off.

If you are in the area and fancy some spicy food then I certainly would reccomend it - but you may have to book!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

With only a tiny kitchen I wonder how on earth they manage to produce a constant stream of delicious food here. Suppose it's all down to preparation. We could hear the chef stirring and chopping away all the evening and saw food going it's various ways not only to tables in the restaurant but into the bar at the front and take away bags. The service is so efficient and so friendly, several couples were well known to the staff so guess they were paying a return visit. Small wonder, the food's so delicious I can feel a return visit coming on myself.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

The best Nepalese / Indian cuisine I have ever had. Every dish was cooked to perfection and had a home cooked freshness to it. The best indication was the Sag aloo, at most places this simple dish is swimming in oil, not at the Roadmaker! - Also a must have is a bottle or two of their gurkha beer...

1  Thank N K
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Excellent food and value for money in this local country pub. Nice bar area where you can eat or go through into the restaurant with its open kitchen.We went there with friends on a busy Saturday night in February; the service was friendly and efficient, the (Nepalese) menu was extensive with plenty of choice and some interesting specialities (including local lamb, nepalese style). All four of our meals were as described in the menu,tasted fantastic and the portions sizes were generous. Will definitely be going back soon!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The restaurant was fully booked when I visited, but there were plenty of tables in the main bar area, which was lively but not crowded, so I was happy there.

The front part is just a normal pub really, with a tv and a fire in the middle of the room. From what I could see the 'proper' restaurant is at the back.

The staff (all Nepalese) were friendly and ultra polite. the food....oh goodness the food! Everything was delicious, from the fresh, light as a feather poppodums to the beautiful fluffy rice. When my food arrived I had planned to eat half of it and take the rest home, but I ended up scoffing the lot, it was so good. The portions were generous, the Nepalese Lamb was melt in the mouth, you could tell it was actually slow cooked from the taste and texture of the meat. It was all SO yummy, the garlic naan bread was amazing too.

I have eaten Nepalese before, to me this is more like Indian food done with a Nepalese influence, but don't hesitate to visit this place. I wished I lived closer!