“Be careful!”

Newent Golf Club and Lodges
Ranked #2 of 5 Newent B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had to cancel at the last minute because of illness. We were charged the full rate for the night, including two breakfasts we had not had. Newent is clearly very hawkish in applying its booking conditions. Take care!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor D
NewentGolfClub, Owner at Newent Golf Club and Lodges, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Our terms and conditions are clearly stated on our website; if cancelled or modified up to 2 days before date of arrival a fixed amount of 25 GBP will be charged. If cancelled or modified later or in case of no show, 100% of the first night will be charged. You cancelled 1 hour before your check in time.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our first stay at a golf club. Accommodation is close to the clubhouse , is modern clean and tidy with tea coffee etc and a well stocked ,if a little small bathroom. Everybody was very friendly.Breakfast is in the clubhouse was freshly cooked to order and was firstclass. Very close to the 3 choirs vineyard and Westons cider which we visited . would stay again when in the area

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cookiecrew5
Reviewed July 26, 2012

On booking, the proprietor was delightful and very helpful. Explaining the location of the B and B and offering a taxi number for when I return from a wedding I would be attending.

The golf club where the courtyard of rooms was located was extremely easy to find and my sat nav brought me to the door.

I couldn't believe the price (£40 for a single - I was actually given a twin room) - having looked at a variety of more expensive B and B's in the area, which were all fully booked, I was beginning to give up hope but was very pleased to fall upon this B and B.

I was greeted by a very friendly young lady who came straight to me in the car park having seen me draw in and took me to my room and gave me my key. She asked me for what time I would like my breakfast which was very flexible.

I then returned to my room having been to a wedding for the day, at around 11pm. I found the car park was rather dark but soon found the courtyard which was well lit. The only problem I found was there was no hot water. Luckily, by the morning the hot water was working. I explained this to the proprietor in the morning and she was very apologetic.

The room was very spacious. It was a twin room. Flat screen TV. Welcome tray with tea and coffee. Ensuite. And a vast amount of up-to-date premium magazines.

The breakfast was very generous (especially considering the £40 I paid for the night's stay). Full english plus any continental breakfast I felt I required. Plus tea and coffee and orange juice. I was also asked towards the end of my meal if I would like a fresh round of toast even though I had one round left from the original the lady brought out to me. The breakfast was very tasty and of good quality.

The proprietor was also very forthcoming with ideas for what I could do with my day. When I inquired about check-out time I was told that there was no rush.

All in all, an incredibly delightful stay at a bargain price (but I'm not complaining!!)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ZoeBuxton
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I booked a couple of nights here in gorgeous hot weather in May.
Friendly chap on the phone when booking, and pleasant staff in the clubhouse nearby, where one has breakfast.
The accommodation is modern, and looks purpose built. The 8 or so rooms cluster round a little courtyard adjacent to the owners house. The Golf Clubhouse is less than 100m away, and there is loads of parking. Its lit up at night too with motion sensors.
In the hot weather the room was pleasantly cool and the bed was fine. You can come and go as you have your own key to the room - the door opens out onto the courtyard.
The bathroom is a tad cramped, but the shower is good with an easily adjustable temperature - not always possible in some hotels! The extractor fan had to be manually turned on in my room. Maybe an extra big towel would have been good.
I wandered over for breakfast and got served up a huge Full English - too much for me, so the next day I asked for half portions, it was no problem.
Its set in a lovely rural location, very quiet apart from birdsong.
The only downside for me was that there was no internet, and no 3G for my iPad - but that's quite common in this part of the world. Maybe free WiFi would really make it a great stay.
Tip - if you want 3G internet, go to the bridge over the M50 where there is good reception near a mast!

Room Tip: I would think all rooms are similar.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2011

My husband and I were going to a wine tasting and booked into the Newent Golf Club with only a weeks notice. Margaret (the daughter) was very polite and helpful on the telephone and we managed to book a room with no problem - she even gave us the number for a nice restaurant nearby and the number for the only taxi firm around as we needed to book this early! On arrival, we were shown to our room - well they are like chalets really! What an excellent room, lovely and comfortable with a complimentary coffee tray. Nice and airy and very spacious. The lady who jointly owned the golf club drove us down to the vineyard - lovely lady! We did our wine tasting but then couldnt be bothered with the meal out so we went back to the Newent Golf Club and they made us something to eat (even though they had finished cooking for the day)!! The followng morning, we had a delicious breakfast and check out time was great for us! No early morning get up to have your brekkie then leave. All in all an excellent stay, great value for money and lovely people! Would definately recommend this to anyone wanting a stay in Newent. Thanks to you all, hopefully see you again Tracy & Wayne

Room Tip: Our room was lovely - if the others are like that then you cant go wrong
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TracyWayne18062005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newent
Bells Hotel and the Forest of Dean Golf & Bowls Club
Kilcot Inn
Kilcot Inn
#3 of 5 in Newent
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#5 of 5 in Newent

Been to Newent Golf Club and Lodges? Share your experiences!