The spacious Beamed Room is set in the oldest part of the house and gave us a feeling of stepping back in time. The deep window seat was perfect for reading. Our view was edged by a honeysuckle vine that had been trained up the side of the house, the front garden, a road, and church property beyond. (Traffic was too light to be troublesome.) Modern comforts included a flat screen TV, DVDs, lots of books, and tea things.
The bathroom, across the hall, was large with a deep soaking tub, and an optional hand held shower head.
Rain did dampen our stay, but not our spirit of adventure… We took pretty walks along the marked public pathways that led through nearby farmlands. In the end, however, we very were fortunate that Vivien took pity on us. My husband had rinsed off the mud from our shoes, outside. But, we might have had wet (useless) shoes for the rest of the trip. Vivien invited us to dry our soaked shoes beside her Aga, and by the late afternoon they were dry and warm.
I had hoped to walk to the nearby town of Northleach for dinner, but it wasn’t practical. Again, Vivien came to our rescue by offering the number for a local taxi company – who charged 20£ roundtrip for the two of us. Dinner at the Whitesheaf (reservations recommended) in Northleach was lovely. The following day, we craved something light and casual, so we visited a few stores and cobbled together an al fresco dinner. Vivien very kindly laid the kitchen table for us, and we in turn were delighted when we were able to coax her into sharing our dinner.
Homemade jams, stewed fruit, and “Full English” breakfasts by Vivien were always very good. There was something heavenly about her Aga-cooked mushrooms.
Highlights of our drives and walks a bit further away from our Yew Tree Cottage home base included a riverside walk between Lower and Upper Slaughters, and lunch at the Trout Inn, in Lower Wolvercote, just next to the river Thames.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury cottage B&B in the heart of the Cotswolds. This cottage B&B is a quintessential Cotswolds home providing every modern comfort in a very traditional setting. A perfect 'cottage break'! Located in a small village in the beautiful rolling countryside between Cheltenham, Stow-on-the-Wold and Bourton-on-the-Water, Yew Tree Cottage serves as an ideal base from which to explore the Cotswolds. At Yew Tree Cottage we aim to provide modern comfort with old world charm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Yew Tree Cottage Bed and Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yew Tree Cottage Hotel Northleach
- Yew Tree Cottage b&b
- Yew Tree Cottage Bed And Breakfast Cotswolds/Northleach