“Interesting little store”

Mililani, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Interesting little store”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

A store of interesting displays and books. Small but delightful. Especially if one loves music boxes.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Lanny60657

• Hebrew first
Harpenden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A Magical Hour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Love the Cotswolds but never, in many visits, been to Northleach. Gave the town a try and was underwhelmed. Small and ordinary. Stow on the Wold it ain't. But this little gem redeemed our morning trip. Amazing. Did the hour tour of all its magical musical machines. Fascinating and enchanting and blessed with enthusiastic guides. Hearing Honeysuckle Rose on a pianola (or something) drifted me back to childhood. Well worth a visit on a rainy day.

Visited July 2012
4 Thank Roy H
Amersham, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“One of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Called here after reading a brochure.
Spent over an hour listening to excellent Guides descrbing and demonstating marvellous instruments and automata.
All were fascinating and some of the music was great- we even had piano rolls played by George Gershwin and Edward Greig themselves.
Make a point of going here - you will not regret it.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank bob t
Bangor
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“All the bells and whistles!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Saw this on a roadsign and just had to visit.

Doesn't look like much. Looks like a room full of cabinets. Until you realise what they actually DO.

One of the best 2 hours I've spent in a while. Tour guide was excellent, and the music spoke for itself.

A museum about bells and whistles without all the bells and whistles. Well worth a detour on my way home.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Ravenesque
Stroud, England, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A fabulous museum, great fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I had high hopes of this museum, having watched a short video on their website and subsequently having it recommended by a good friend. I was not disappointed!
I have been fascinated by musical boxes and automata since I was a small child and have wanted to own a really good musical box ever since I can remember. As soon as the tour started, I knew I was hooked for life. We were lucky enough to arrive just after the guide had finished his lunch break, which meant that we experienced the full tour in the order which he intended. As other people arrived, he included them in our tour and reassured them that he would continue to go around the room all afternoon, so they wouldn't miss anything. However, I do think we came off best, as we were able to see the full progression, from oldest to youngest.
Each piece has been lovingly restored to its former glory and we were able to listen to every single one. We never felt rushed from one piece to another, so we were able to hear at least one full tune from every single box. Each piece was also given a full history and explanation of why this or that had changed over the years and how each box or automaton worked, right down to the nitty gritty of how some of the internal workings were fashioned, which was fascinating.
There were no children on our tour, but I am absolutely sure that if there had been, the tour would have been tailored to suit their needs as well. The guide (whose name, sadly, I didn't catch) was extremely knowledgeable and was able to answer any question put to him. He also clearly loved every piece as if it was his own.
Pieces to particularly look out for are the first juke box and the reproducing piano, but every piece was beautiful and fascinating in its own right.
Without a doubt, one of the best museum visits I have ever had. Now all I have to do it start saving up for my own musical box collection...!

Visited August 2012