“Perfect except for the music” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wheatsheaf Inn Restaurant

The Wheatsheaf Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Wheatsheaf Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Northleach
Cuisines: British, Pub, Bar, European
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cotswolds,
“Perfect except for the music”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

The Wheatsheaf, once an ancient coaching inn, is a deservedly popular resrauant with rooms (unseen by me)in a very attractive small Cotswold town. Notthleach attracts far fewer tourists than many other of the area's beautiful villages, despite its handsome stone C16-C18 houses, a fine church and stunning walks in the area (Turkdean particularly lovely)..
Food is from a relatively small, seasonal menu (always a good sign!): imaginative and well cooked dishes, perfectly presented. The young serving staff judge everything exactly right they are friendly, helpful, professional but not intrusive. The interiors are stylish but in a subtle way that reflects the age of the building, the garden redesigned to incorporate rising terraces, providing privacy between beautiful flower beds. It is no cheap but certainly worth the prices and the car park was full (of expensive cars!) on a midweek lunchtime.
The only problem we encountered was that on a very hot July day, the cool, stone-flagged interior seemed to hold most appeal. But we were driven out by the music - which the manager was reluctant to turn down (despite there being only one other table occupied-and that bya quite elderly couple and a child). Of course some like music, some don't- but it seemed incongruous here and at one point the heavy reggae beat meant that we had to raise our voices to hold a normal conversation and so we fled to the garden where just the bees and the subdued conversations of other patrons let the peace of a rural summer day prevail.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Great pub restaurant in a lovely small town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Our third time here, and pleased to report standards remain high. On a lovely Sunday we had a floral NZ Riesling and an IPA in the delightful wild flower strewn garden before heading indoors to the rustic dining room. Consider but well thought through menu, we started with mint pea purée, broad beans and feta crostini, a taste of summer. Hake was a terrific tranche, crispy skin and melting flakes on a bed of samphire tomato and leeks, my overnight roast beef was as soft as a baby's bottom, with deeply rich roasted veg plus peas, sugar snaps and broccoli.And roast potatoes. And Yorkshire PhDs. Yeah!!!!
Washed down with a bottle of Framingham Pinot Noir, it was a lovely lunch in the company of attentive staff and an interesting mix of customers, from old timers to expats to yuppies here for the weekend.
It's not cheap here, but quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.

Visited July 2014
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Great but avoid room 5”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I had a few days off work and after a great family do here in May I decided to stay one night.

The place is really nicely decorated and I could not fault the food and staff who were all very friendly and clearly enjoy working here.

My only gripe was that I was in room 5 on a hot night and there was a very loud fan just outside the window which prevented a good nights sleep and I was hoping for peace and quiet in the Cotswolds .

I mentioned this to the staff on check out and emailed them on my return to be told the manager would get back to me.

As yet I've heard nothing so I'm very disappointed as I would like to return and recommend to friends .

Visited July 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good English Fare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

A special night out with my wife for her birthday - Saturday Night in high summer, - one would imagine this was a recipe for a spoiled evening, but not a bit of it. This was a great meal in a good Inn. We both had the signature starter, the cheese souffle and it was fantastic. For some reason we fancied fish, so I had the Plaice and my wife the Hake. Both were excellent, a good portion with fresh vegetables to suit the dish. Wines are available by the small carafes as well as by the bottle, and this suited us too, Rosé for one and White for the other. Good cheerful service. The fact that the place was heaving didn't seem to phase the staff or the kitchen. Great experience

Paola, Malta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quick service high prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Place was packed at around 2 pm on a Sunday. Good food with a quick service but prices a bit too high. Portion sizes adequate.

• 2 of 5 bubbles