The Wheatsheaf Inn
$112
$102
Agoda.com
$278
Lords of the Manor Hotel(Upper Slaughter)
$169
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
The Slaughters Manor House(Lower Slaughter)
$243
Barnsley House(Barnsley)
$628
$608
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa(Stow-on-the-Wold)
$197
$151
Travelodge Cirencester(Cirencester)(Great Value!)
$49
Travelodge
$196
Fosse Manor Hotel(Stow-on-the-Wold)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsdevilled kidneysthe private dining roomthe pubbloody marymr and mrs smithwine listhanging spaceroll top bathcooked breakfastpuddinghuge bedbottled watereggs benedictfish and chipslovely gardenspecial occasionboth nights
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Really really lovely. Very quaint little town. The hotel was really lovely, great rooms, great food (brown sugar meringue was a delightful surprise) great service. Bit far away from anything else but that's what we were looking for. The inn itself had a great vibe. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Zab214
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed at the Wheatsheaf on a whim on a grey Monday when we had holiday days to use up. The room was incredible, but to be honest the service was the highlight; from recommending walks for us around the town, to giving us a glass of port and some of the new cheese they had in as we were sat in the bar after a great meal. Faultless.

We booked in for next year before we even left to take the folks for their respective birthdays.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Had an overnight getaway. Beautiful hotel, very accommodating staff, amazing food and an overall very relaxing break. There is a lot to do in and around the area of the Wheatsheaf Inn, good walks, lovely pubs and spectacular views.

Will definitely be going back.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013

The Wheatsheaf is so close to being brilliant, but sadly misses by some margin...

We stayed in room 3, which if you are given it, don't take it. It's bijou (small) and the shower is incomprehensibly compact. The cats tail could be swung, but definitely not with the cat attached. It is obviously a standard bedroom that has had the shower room shoehorned into it, hence the cracks around the shower room walls, peeling ceiling paint and saniflow type toilet... All this would have been forgiven but for the price, £160 per night. The bed is comfy, the crisps and nuts a nice touch... Though the expense on the Bang & Olufsen TV is pointless, as it does not compensate for the lack of a wardrobe or tea/coffee in the room (though you could call room service... If you're not too thirsty, as on the whole the service is patchy (more later)). The bedroom door only has one Yale lock 3/4 of the way up the door, so the locked door instilled little confidence from the marauding toddlers on the landing. Equally the gap at the bottom of the door means you may as well greet everyone who walks along the landing, personally, direct from your bed.

Breakfast was the best bacon and egg sandwich I have ever had! Simple. Complementary ingredients for a Bloody Mary or Buck's Fizz was a nice touch... as was the jar of tablets to assist with any aches and pains from the night before. The downside was charging an extra £5 for a full English... Though trust me just have the butty, and you won't be needing lunch...

While the food was largely good, oddly other than crisps and nuts, there was nothing available in the late afternoon / early evening. They did whip up a charcuterie for us though, which was fab!! For dinner we had a reduced menu, as we were at a party... Unfortunately I had to send my Sirloin steak back, as the meat was really not good enough. The T-bone they replaced it with was much much better.

A service charge of 10% was applied to all food and drink... Which may be in the small print, but we only noticed on checking out. Now, this place is not cheap... Brooklyn beer is £6 per pint! I don't then expect to pay a service charge on top, especially when I've had to wait 5 mins to be served. The barman was a nice guy and very competent (some awesome cocktails!!) but one of him was not enough... And that's why the room service alternative to 'in room' tea and coffee just doesn't cut it. I'd be afraid that I'd have passed out in a dehydrated heap before the tea was passed under the gap at the bottom of the door.

I know quirky hotels are great but only when the basics are right... Service and Value. I don't mind paying good money for exceptional service and facilities, and as a result the Wheatsheaf has left me disappointed.

It has to be said that some of the staff were fab. Said bearded barman and moustached manager were great... But the majority were fairly forgettable, and didn't really seem that happy to be there.

The fire in the bar is superb, but alas, the bar is not big enough... It's nowhere near big enough, and got full very quickly indeed. There are other places to sit and drink, but they're not apparent and take some seeking out... (Which may well add to the charm...)

I know you pay a premium for the Cotswolds, but I can't help but feel that the Wheatsheaf has a captive audience (there's not many alternatives in and around Northleach) and they aren't really looking at the bigger picture. With so many great places to stay in Britain, and word really does get around these days, I'm sure the Wheatsheaf will have to pull its socks up soon.

There are cheaper places in the Cotswolds with more character, better service and fundamentally better value. But if you like an amazing bacon and egg butty enough, it may just be perfect for you!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NoyesTravels
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have been to the Wheatsheaf inn four occasions now over 4 years and again today for my birthday lunch it did not disappoint. A warm welcome excellent service and great food (the twice baked cheese soufflé is to die for). Lovely log fires and a really local feel, dogs welcome (not that we have one but don't mind them at all), locals and visitors welcome alike.
This place has it all spot on and I hope they keep up to the mark. We will be back again in the near future I expect. We do mean to stay as it is a "Smiths place" but we have a perfect little barn in nearby Upper Slaughter that we rent so no real need (Yew Tree Barn - see my review).

Room Tip: We ate and did not stay over.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends