“Pretty Chapel - perfect for a uinsque place to...”
other travelers have booked this property
The Old Chapel, a fabulous former chapel in the village of Northleach
An impressive holiday home The beautiful open plan living space, with wooden floors and stained glass windows
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
An impressive holiday home
A wonderful space to relax with friends and family
A lovely dining area which comfortably seats five guests
Lovely character features
Looking up from the ground floor towards the mezzanine bedroom
The modern kitchen
Well-equipped and ideal for home cooking
The ground floor cloakroom contains a washing machine, tumble dryer...
...toilet and wash basin
The stylish spiral staircase leads up from the hallway to the first floor landing
The master bedroom, with a king size bed and impressive features
A characterful and stylish bedroom
Beautifully ornate stained glass window
Exposed painted beams
The mezzanine bedroom, with a double bed
A light and spacious area
The family bathroom contains a bath, toilet, wash basin...
...and walk-in shower
The tranquil courtyard at the rear...
Looking back towards the curved stonework
Elegant stained glass windows
The Old Chapel, a unique and stylish holiday cottage in the heart of the Cotswolds
The quintessential Cotswolds village of Northleach...
...with picturesque Tudor properties
A peaceful street with pretty views of the parish church of St Peter & St Paul
The historic market square sits in the heart of the village
The village green and play park is ideal for families with children
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Eleanor G
Tring, United Kingdom
“Pretty Chapel - perfect for a uinsque place to stay.”
Reviewed March 29, 2017 for a stay in March 2017
person found this review helpful

I booked The Old Chapel for a weekend away to celebrate my partners birthday. It was a good choice for us - beautiful building & very comfortable stay. Great location - Northleach is a pretty small town (more of a villagey feel) - not as touristy as some of the more well known places in the Cotswolds but within easy reach of them by car. The Wheatsheaf pub is a few minutes walk away & we had a fantastic meal & great service there on Friday night. The bistro in the village square is also nice for drinks & sharing platters. Easy drive to Cirencester - always a pleasure to potter round there.

Date of stay: March 2017
Bittis_12
Westbury, United Kingdom
“Birthday Treat ”
Reviewed January 30, 2017 for a stay in January 2017

My son and his friend booked this old chapel for both sets of parents as a joint Christmas and Birthday present. First impression was that it is a beautiful building that has been well restored whilst respecting it's previous role. The accommodation is clean and tidy and the bathroom is particularly nice. I would happily recommend The Old Chapel to family and friends

Date of stay: January 2017
Phil S
“A very tired holiday let suitable for a couple not at all suitable for four people”
Reviewed October 17, 2016 for a stay in October 2016
person found this review helpful

We are currently staying (or rather struggling to sleep) in this tired, soulless cottage. When we arrived on Friday night our only greeting was stale cigarette smoke and noise from the domineering nursing home next door. The sofa,chairs and dining room chairs are filthy, and should have been replaced after the initial comment about them 2 years ago. I contacted Dawn, of the home management team the very next day and stated that:
1. The bed linen smelt
2. The cottage was not cleaned to an expected standard ie cobwebs, kitchen floor and very dusty furniture.
3. The filthy sofa and chairs .
4. cottage not really suitable for 4 guests
I phoned the management team the next day and Dawn excepted that the sofa and chairs should be replaced (no help to us) - but agreed to change the bedlinen as the strong cigarette smoke was due to the previous guests.
Today Monday we have decided that we have had enough of this miserable cottage and instead booked our two guests into alternative accommodation. Interestingly, since contacting Dawn the visitors Comment book has disappeared!!!! So I an posting this comment online - the cotswolds are full of lovely cottages avoid this one if you want a good nights sleep and a cheerful, positive experience - meanwhile my husband and I will soldier on staying in this tired, dirty soulless cottage for 4 more nights after that NEVER again.

Date of stay: October 2016
Liked best: nothing
Liked least: everything
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Nov 10, 2016
"Character Cottages, as a marketing agency, does not look after or maintain any cottages. The following is written by the owner's appointed property manager at The Old Chapel: "We treat all guest feedback with great importance and, when necessary, take action as required. This guest telephoned on the morning after arrival to say that the bedding had an odour of cigarettes. We explained that the previous guests were discovered to have been smoking in the property, and that following their departure, the duvets and pillows had been washed, along with the bed linen, and the property had been thoroughly cleaned. However, there was still a lingering odour, which was understandably not acceptable. Having apologised for the situation, we said that we would immediately purchase new duvets and pillows, visit the property and replace everything. The new bedding was purchased and fitted within the hour, and the existing was removed from the property. The guest was grateful for our speedy attention and promised to leave a favourable response in appreciation of our assistance and empathy.

Having checked the description and photographs on the Character Cottages website, I can confirm this provides an accurate representation of the property.

Whilst at the property, an inspection was completed and only one small, new cobweb was found and removed. The guest was correct in mentioning that the sofa was marked and, as stated to the guest, the purchase of a new sofa had been authorised by the owner, which is now in place in the cottage.

The guest asked that we read the Visitors’ Book, which we took from the property during the visit, to read later that day. Of the 26 guest reviews, only one mentioned the marked sofa – all the others were reflective of very positive experiences in The Old Chapel and some commented that they were looking forward to returning at a future date. We are confident that this beautiful property will continue to offer our guests an experience to remember, for all the right reasons.""
guypurdy
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
“The Perfect Getaway!”
Reviewed August 27, 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Fantastic properly with lots of character situated in a brilliant location for exploring the Cotswolds. The property is in great condition and thoroughly clean. We will be recommending this place to our friends and family.

Date of stay: August 2016
Bathroom cleanliness Service
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
afrizim20...
Harare, Zimbabwe
“Cute chapel”
Reviewed August 5, 2015 for a stay in July 2015

This is a quaint little chapel, with some nice features (stained glass windows, exposed stone). It is well maintained, and any oroblem we had was quickly adressed by the managers. Northleach is perfectly placed to explore the cotswolds. Travelling with kids, we would have appreciated a few kiddie books or a couple of games in the cottage. We like to cook, and again, a few more accessories (lemon squeezer, whisker, mortar and pestle) as well as more plates, that we wouldnt have to do the dishes after every meal would have been an added bonus.

Date of stay: July 2015
Traveling group: Young Children
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
sun_n_fun...
Tampa, Florida
“Unique and Authentic Stay in the Cotswolds”
Reviewed September 6, 2014 for a stay in May 2014
people found this review helpful

My husband and three kids and I loved the old chapel! It was within walking distance to everything in town. Yes, there are wood louse, but it only saw them downstairs. We are from Florida, USA and are used to way larger insects than those. No biggie. We rented our own car and made a day trip to London. We also visited Stratford-Upon-Avon, Chipping, Stow,and surrounding areas. The female bartender at the pub at Sherebourne Arms was lovely! The mechanical music museum was fantastic, and the circus was something not to miss. We want to return next summer for a month and see the cheese rolling event.

Date of stay: May 2014
Everythin...
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed August 25, 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Nice cottage, bedrooms and bedlinen etc.. However, some cleaning and other issues:
Very dirty upholstery on sofa and armchairs - too dirty to sit on. To make matters worse old sweets and crisps had not been cleared from under the cushions for some time;
only 4 dining chairs despite advertising 5;
leaking radiators; cobwebs; and unfortunately wood louse problem.
The Management company were contemptuous to our concerns.

Date of stay: April 2014
Liked best: Bedroom
Liked least: Dirty upholstery
Traveling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
Management Response
Sep 4, 2014
The following response was posted by the Owners' Property Manager:

"As you rightly say, the cottage had not been prepared to our usually high standard; the chair bed had not been made up, and there were a few small cobwebs, and a smudge on a mirror. One of my team prepared the house following the previous guests' departure, but did not realise there was a chair bed at the property as it was the first time she had completed the property on her own. There was over a week from that point, until your arrival on 11th, which is why there were cobwebs at the cottage. I would normally have inspected the house before any arrival, but due to the volume of work, I was not able to - that was my mistake.

Although I had already been out working for over ten hours, when you called, I immediately loaded my car again, and visited the property to rectify the situation which should not have occurred in the first place. I had asked you not to wipe/vacuum/tidy anything, so that I could precisely assess the condition of the property. When I arrived, just before 7pm, I checked everything, made up the chair bed, cleaned the smudge from the mirror, vacuumed the entire property and removed the cobwebs.

In addition, I left you a bottle of wine in the fridge, with a hand-written note of further apology.

It is disappointing to hear that, following my visit, you were still unhappy with the results and I note, with interest, that you took some photographs. If those photographs were taken post my visit, they I would ask that you send them through so that I may see exactly where I failed in my service.

We place great importance on providing a high level of quality service to all of our clients, and have worked tirelessly to achieve a well-respected position in the industry. Unfortunately, we appear to have fallen short of our high standards, but, and I am sure you will agree, we have been punctilious in the rectification of your complaint.

I look forward to hearing from you."
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing