“An average meal - could do better!”

Ha' Penny Brasserie The Pier Harwich
Cuisines: Seafood, British, French, European, Contemporary, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We thank you for your feedback, however we do not respond to individual comments.
London, United Kingdom
“An average meal - could do better!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Ate in the bistro with family. I would describe the meal as ok but not as good as it used to be!
My son chose kids fish pie and it was awful - he wouldn't eat it so I had to swap my haddock and chips for it. It was bland, hardly any fish, no prawns and no sauce - just lots of bland mash. Such a disappointment, particularly when we were right by the sea! Also not served with any veg.
Fish and chips were all ok. Daughter liked her kids steak but would have liked some salad with it.

2 puddings were not served with the tuille biscuit so were taken back but then we were told that chef had to make some more biscuits and had to wait at least 5 minutes after rest of party had finished their puds!

All in all I felt meal was a disappointment and not up to the standard I would expect from Milsoms hotels.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Dolly1999

Colchester
“Excellent service, great food & great location”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Been meaning to come here for ages as we don't live to far away, it's a shame we didn't make the effort. Atmosphere was warm the service was excellent and the food was really good for all five of us diners.
My only criticism was there was a bit of a wait between courses, apart from that overall experience was it's worth a return visit.

• Visited August 2013
“Nice place, shame about the food”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I would firstly like to say that the staff were lovely. Really friendly and helpful.
We ordered three courses, my first was seafood risotto. When it came it was absolutely tasteless. Worst I have ever had. Just like boiled arborio rice with a very small about of stock soaked into it. I called over a waitress. It was taken away and then the manager came to apologise and have us both free dessert, which was nice.
Main course was fish pie. I found the portion very small although it was tasty. My partner had the fish and chips. It was nice.
Brownies for dessert (free) really good.
On retrospect I would not eat here again. The food was quite nice but not exceptional. The prices certainly are not reflected in the quality. However, I recommend going and having a glass of wine from their extensive list, meeting the lovely staff and drinking up the wonderful atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013
Frinton-On-Sea, United Kingdom
“Good quality with harbour views”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Lovely place for lunch or evening meal(also breakfast if you are up early)Locally caught fish a speciallity.Great views outside if its warm enough but inside is fine and atmospheric

Visited August 2013
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“Excellent service, good seafood, although a little pricey”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Two of us chose to eat at The Pier on one night of a weekend break in Harwich, and were most definitely not disappointed.

We had one starter to share: being in Harwich, it had to be the winkles. The bowlful was rather large for two let alone a single portion, and there was only a little bread to go with them. But they had been excellently prepared and it was a treat to eat what was once a basic foodstuff in that part of Essex.

For main course I chose the Dover Sole, my partner chose a Mushroom rosti. The fish was cooked to perfection - the flesh remaining wholly intact as it was removed from the bones. I don't think I have ever experienced fish cooked this well, it was delicous.

For dessert we shared Suffolk strawberries and clotted cream - they too were delicous.

With sherry aperitif, a reasonable bottle of white wine and some mineral water, pudding wine and coffee the bill came to just under ninety pounds. For a special meal, I felt this acceptable, but it is rather more expensive than might be expected in what is generally an area where eating out is very good value.

This was our second visit to The Pier and we shall definitely be back.

• Visited August 2013