“Always excellent quality food & service”

Harbourside Restaurant at the Pier
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We thank you for your feedback, however we do not respond to individual comments.
Essex
“Always excellent quality food & service”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Enjoyed lunch here recently, having been on a few occasions in the past, we always find the service and quality of food is excellent, They do specialise in fish for the main coarses which we are never disappointed with, as for the starters I would recommend the Crab & Prawn fritters with pickled Kohlrabi if it is on the menu when you visit or alternatively the chilled Cucumber & Strawberry soup quite appropriate as it was a hot and sunny day. Our waiter Adam was very knowledgable and helpful regarding the menu and discussing the restaurant business which he has been involved with for some time, previously working at Milsoms, Dedham part of the same group which run the Pier at Harwich, all their hotels and restaurants are known in the area for providing good food and service. The setting at the Harbouside restaurant overlooking the pier and harbour is very pleasant with the majority of tables positioned to benefit from the view, along with the spacious bar area for pre drinks and perusing the menu is more than many restaurants in the area can offer.

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Definitely worth returning”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Although we have eaten at The Pier before, we've never ventured upstairs. What a lovely restaurant. How pleasant to be greeted at the top of the stairs and taken into the bar area, a spacious comfortable place to enjoy an aperitif and peruse the menu surrounded by tasteful decor. Another delight, to be greeted by Nick, whose acquaintance we had made some years before at Le Talbooth. It is clear he runs the restaurant extremely well with humour, great care and attention for detail and is a true ambassador for the restaurant.The service was good and friendly although the majority of waitresses were young and in all honesty would benefit from a little extra training. We had an excellent table with both of us sharing a view over the harbour.

The menu was exactly as we'd hoped with the emphasis on good fish although meat and vegetarian options were also catered for. The starters were good, my scallops particularly well cooked with the interesting cucumber and salsa verdi accompaniment. My husbands boratta and Serrano ham starter was particularly tasty. I then had the best Lemon sole I'd eaten for a very long time. He had lobster which he assured me was very good. The desserts were probably my least favourite part of the menu. All good from the written part of proceedings but the assiette of desserts for two would have been so much more inviting if more than three choices were included!! I particularly enjoyed my Suffolk strawberry extravaganza although if I had to criticise then perhaps more of a contrast in texture between the Eton Mess, mousse and trifle might have elevated this from good to sublime! However the strawberries with minute spheres of sorbet inside were a triumph.

An excellent evening. Thank you

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Great setting without breaking the bank”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife took me here for a birthday treat with my parents on a sunday evening, just before we caught an overnight ferry to Hoek van Holland. What a convivial evening I had watching the sun set over the Shotley penninsula.

The fact that the restuarant was probably 3/4 full on a Sunday evening probably says all you need to know about the lovely food that this Milsom's restaurant prepares. You could probably spend upwards of £60 a head if you're taking an aperitif, 3 courses and some wine - and given the extensive fine wine list, do try to find a designated driver.... as my father in law says "the fish must swim". However, given the setting and the food quality, this is ok value in my book.

The waiting staff were efficient, but I am not sure they are as well trained or experienced as the Milsom's flagship "Le Talbooth", who can often tell you what type of wheat the bread rolls are made with and strike up a rapport at 20 paces. My suspicion for this is that when I asked one of the young waitresses if they had a Sommelier, she told me she didn't think they sold that. Hmmm.

None of this mattered a great deal, its just an amusing anecdote - it's a well managed restaurant and the food and location make up for any inexperience amongst the younger staff. I'll be looking for my next excuse (and driver) for a fish and wine treat.

TIP - think about combining your visit to Harwich with a movie at the "Electric Palace", an old fashioned cinema

North Yorkshire
“Pre Cruise Dinner”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Took a friend here for a belated birthday dinner the night before we sailed out of Harwich for a Baltic Cruise,
When I trawled the internet and trip advisor for a restaurant in Harwich, where we would be staying overnight, and as we are both fish fanatics this appeared to be the perfect restaurant, and it didn't disappoint. The sample menu on line had my mouth watering before we even set foot in the restaurant. We couldn't have wished for a more perfect start to our holiday.
It is impossible to praise the staff enough, they were attentive without appearing to be constantly at your shoulder.
We were given a window table which was just perfect and then there was the food!
My mixed seafood starter suited me perfectly as it was difficult to choose one thing from this lovely menu and my companion's smoked haddoch fishcake with a pefectly poached egg under a veil of beautiful sauce were the opening to a pefect meal. Followed at a reasonable interval with some of the best, and most perfectly cooked, seabass I have ever eaten. By the time we got to dessert we realised we were in a restaurant from which many others could take lessons. Everything from the greeting on arrival, with drinks and nibbles, to the coffee at the end of the night could not be faulted. If I had to find any gripe at all it would be the price of the drinks. I did feel they were somewhat excessive,

• Visited August 2012
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Not for those who don't like fish”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Luckily I love fish and seafood but my husband is not keen.
Cocktails and nibbles were A*, starters A, Main courses B- and Desserts C.
Probably down to what we ordered as there was nothing wrong with any of the food, we just didn't really feel the meal finished as well as it began.
Service was great and it is a lovely setting. We would go back.

Visited July 2013