“Very nice but very little atmosphere”

Harbourside Restaurant at the Pier
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We thank you for your feedback, however we do not respond to individual comments.
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I was taken to this restaurant by my suppliers for an evening meal on Wednesday. This is a very elegant restaurant, and with surprisingly reasonable prices. There were 6 of us in the party and we all chose from the a la carte menu. We had a very nice round table near to the stairs. Service was excellent and quick but we were not rushed. The food was elegantly presented - but for me the fish portions were on the small side for a restaurant in a fishing port right on the coast. Also all vegetables were an additional cost which for a restaurant of this calibre - they should have just been supplied. Desserts were very interesting if you are a pudding fan. And to top it off coffee comes with a selection of hand made chocolates - but if you didn't like chocolate (yes, I know thats weird )then there were alternative fruit jellies.
My only major criticism is that my skate came with crushed sea salt added on top (not mentioned on the menu) and I would have prefered the choice of adding it myself.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

My wife and I had lunch at The Harbourside Restaurant on 7th March 2013. We've been many times before and look forward to returning. They invariably get the big things right. Great food, comfortable surroundings, nicely spaced tables and an extensive wine list. Nonetheless, there are a couple of things they should be doing to enhance the overall experience.

Arriving early we chose to peruse the menus in the bar whilst enjoying a glass of Moet - not exactly given away at £12.75 a glass, some £76 a bottle! The drinks arrived quickly but where were the nibbles? After waiting a while I asked if we could have some nuts. I was told that we were just going to be taken to the table but could have nuts if we wished. As we were about to eat there seemed little point but we sat at the table for about 15 minutes before our first courses arrived.

We had chosen the same starter so these were put in front of us with a flourish and thoroughly enjoyed. When the mains arrived we were asked who had chosen what and we were also asked who ordered what for the dessert and then for the coffee.

It it unreasonable to expect a first class establishment to be able to identify what people have ordered and simply confirm it - 'Your monkfish sir', Your holstein madam' rather than wave it about expectantly? I've enjoyed this experience even when dining in a large group of 8 or 10 - how hard can it be?

So Harbourside: Don't hold back on the nibbles when patrons order expensive aperatifs and don't pester patrons to identify their food. Both of these should already be part of your philosophy.
Then I can give you maximum points!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We came for a meal on Monday evening as part of the 35th year anniversary, 3 courses, 2 people, £35! Absolutely fanastic! Food was faultless and staff were very friendly and attentive!
For a Monday night, there was a nice buzz of the atmosphere, which is always nice to see! The restaurant is very nicely decorated and the view is lovely!
I would highly recommend!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We recently dinned here for our anniversary, everything was simply wonderful from the start, we were sitted in a very smart bar area for a pre-dinner drink, then seated at a lovely window table looking out onto the water.The service was first class and our meal was beautifully cooked with perfect sized portions. We have dinned downstairs at this establishment too, but the fine dinning experience is definately worth the money for that special occasion.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was my first visit to the Pier for some years and it did not disappoint! The food was great and the whole atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. I can particularly recommend the pear tarte tartin and eccles ice cream I had for dessert. Professional staff and attentive without being intrusive. We will certainly return.