The Pier Hotel at Harwich
$89
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmayflower suitefishmain buildingkesgrave hallwaiting staffscottish ladycomplimentary soft drinksmusselsfirst floorshipping forecastducksea viewdressed crablovely hotelpuddingevening mealstaff could not have been more
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We met up with my brother at the pier for supper.What a treat it was.The service ,wine ,food ,was just so good.Well done to all the staff.It is worth the drive to Harwich.It was lovely to sit in the bar and see the ships.So relaxing after along week at work.We have been to all the Milsoms restaurants and we think that you can not beat the pier at Harwich good value for money.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alan H
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed one night only, Quite trendy hotel with good atmosphere, Two restaurants, one fine dining and the bar, I eat at the bar, which was well above average with local produce. Breakfast was also well above average with either continental or full English which set me up for the whole day. My room was well layed out with well stocked mini bar (at reasonable prices) tea, coffee and biscits, Bed a little hard for me but each to his own. Bathroom well above standard of hotel price bracket, larger than average, clean, good lighting, large mirror, however no power shower but if you keep moving it was adiquit.The view from my room was one of the most interesting I have ever seen, overlooking Harwich Port and over the river to Felixstow docks, but the windows are well sound insulalted so noise was not a problem. Overall a good stay I would return without a second thought.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking the river
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank mike s
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

We have eaten here on special occasions - and the whole evening is excellent you can have a drink at the bar before sitting down for dinner
Great for fish lovers
Service, location and food fantastic
A wonderful evening
Great wine menu also

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We went on my father's birthday for a meal in The Harbourside and had absolutely no complaints at all. The food was excellent, staff attentive and down-to-earth, the bar was well-stocked and had some fine wines.

I'd go again. Price-wise, it measured up to other similar restaurants in the area, and it's the best Milsoms I've been to yet, better even than the pricier and fussy Talbooth.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We did not stay here merely went for lunch. The resturaunt, like all the Milsoms chain is nicely decorated and comfortable. There were a lot of staff and our drinks order was taken quickly. The staff seemed to do a lot of standing around so I don't understand why we have to write our own order down and take it to the bar? Surely the staff could actually wait on the tables?? This is the same with trying to order more drinks, why can the staff not be observant and actually notice when drinks are getting low?
The food all sounds pretty good, I had the chicken with chorizo and a potato and egg salad, I also ordered the side of pumpkin and avocado salad. How very disappointing, the dish when it finall arrived nearly 30 mins after ordering looked nice but very small. Two tiny bits of chicken, one with a bone it. 4 ten pence sized bits of chorizo, 1/2 a boiled egg and 4 tiny squares of potato! The salad was equally disappointing, a tiny amount of avocado and pumpkin seeds hiding in a nest of leaves with very little dressing. My two six year olds looked at their child portions with dismay and literally had cleared their plates in minutes.
I am not a big person but I would like to leave a meal feeling nicely contented, I left The Pier actually still hungry!
The meals are quite pricey, over £13 for my main and over £3 for my side!
I have tried other Milsoms and hoped this would change my opinion of the chain, sadly I still find the food sparse, mediocre and expensive.

• Stayed: September 2012