“Good decor, poor food, bad overall experience”
Review of The Crown Post

The Crown Post
Ranked #13 of 44 Restaurants in Harwich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was our second and last visit to the restaurant. The first time we went was for a Sunday Lunch. Our experience then was good all round. So when it came to take out the family to celebrate my birthday a month or so later, we chose the Crown Post.
On arrival we had a pleasant drink as all six of us gathered. We were shown to our table in good order and we as is our custom we ordered a couple of starters that we could all share. Our main meal then took an hour to arrive. We had ordered a steak, a mixed grill, two chicken kievs and a couple of other meals. We got chicken but no kiev and a mixed grill with 13 tomatoes on it,
We complained at the time about these dishes and the waiter offered another kiev to my wife but my daughter decided to keep her chicken as she did not want to make a fuss.
We ended up not having the kiev because of time issues and the fact the night had fizzled out. We left and made our way home. When we got home my wife felt quire sore about the whole affair and phoned the restaurant to speak to the manager. The net result of the conversation was the manager offered her the money back.

My wife duly turned up the following day and the staff refunded the money for the food and then said that neither her nor her family were welcome back there anymore - We were barred!! There has to be a first time for everything but I am in my sixties and we are a very conservative family. We do no wrong - other than make a legitimate complaint - and get barred,

So if you go there, don't complain, otherwise you will not be welcome back

7  Thank EmpireRick

Reviewed April 3, 2013

What a lovely evening, Staff allowed us to have balloons and decorations at our table. The food was delicious with good size portions and the menu extensive - something for everyone. The staff were friendly and helpful but not intrusive. We had a lovelyevening and would definitely go again.

1  Thank wendyt535
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Eat here Saturday lunch time thought food was good but the service did not match. The price of a small bottle of lemonade being £1.70 was another surprise. Overall value I thought was average. Will not rule it out but won't be in a hurry to return. Think it's a shame as it does have the potential to be much better

2  Thank Iram01
Reviewed March 4, 2013

First visited this restaurant after it first opened because it was now being run by a friend of ours.
I had never eaten Gavin's food before and I cannot begin to tell you how nice it was. My wife had the liver and mash and has raved about it ever since.
We have now taken both sets of parents and friends all on different occasions to eat there.
We just like to show it off to friends because it is such good food, amazing sized portions (usually more than we can eat) and you can tell that it has been cooked by someone who cares how it comes out.
As I said in the title The Crown Post has become our choice if we become free to eat out.

3  Thank Nicola C
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We have made two visits to the Crown, The food is always freshly cooked,portions are quite generous,we have never made it to pud !The sharing starters are a good idea,we had baked camembert,very nice.Its a wonderful old building with beams and oak floors,
The wine list is reasonable,house red is fine.A really nice restaurant in old Harwich with reasonably priced food

1  Thank colthebass