“Good hotel for cyclists from/to Harwich port”
Review of Samuel Pepys Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Harwich
Samuel Pepys Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Harwich
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Samuel Pepys is a small but nice hotel/restaurant great for cyclists on their way from Harwich to the inland of the UK: It is very close to the footferry to Felixtow (you need to check if it runs & make a reservation for cycles), not too far away from Harwich port & cycles can be stored at the back terrace. After a long journey by ferry it was nice to be welcomed by kind staff & a pub filled with (I assume) locals. Also the shower of the en-suite (single) room was nice and all was clean and functioning.
There was TV but for wireless internet a paid BT system is used (contrary to what it says on their website, although they might provide you with a code if you ask). Another negative aspect to me was the noise of people chatting in the street when I was trying to get asleep. In my room on the highest floor I didn't hear the pub downstairs though. If you're (very) tall you might also notice the low ceiling, but most people should be fine.
The next morning there was someone to serve breakfast (included), which unfortunately was not a traditional cooked English but continental breakfast with toast, cereals, fruit, etc. This was a pity, but the lady didn't hesitate to serve more when I asked.
All in all only the noise outside was annoying but the service, room & breakfast were good. Combined with a reasonable price & the location a place to recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Koen G

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have visited Samuel Pepys on a few occasions, knowing I'll come back again after each experience. I felt I should share my experience's so that others don't miss out on this wonderful hidden gem.

The food is comforting and delicious with generous portions cooked to perfection. The prices are very reasonable too. I can be fussy when it comes to steak but this was second to none. The salad and dressing was out of this world and the cheesecake was to die for.

My date had a fish platter which made me a little a jealous of her when it arrived at our table. It was presented beautifully, the smoked salmon was folded into a couple of rose's. The prawns were plump and the salad looked amazing. This was served with a lemon mayonnaise which I couldn't stop dunking my chips into (I don't think she was impressed).

The staff are very friendly, very attentive and I couldn't believe the voice on one of them. One minute she was serving us drinks with her beautiful smile, the next she was sat on a bar stall singing to Valentines day couples. Such a nice little touch and great use of talent.

The room we stayed in was very cosey, it didn't feel like we was in a hotel. The bed was comfy and we had an excellent sleep.

I'm looking forward to my next visit, I think I'll order the fish platter.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chelmer83
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Me and my husband had a meal on valentines day it was our first time at Sams wine bar and can say it won't be our last! Great food at a great price! Lovely staff and great singer! Would highly recommend to every one!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Nzaitoun
Reviewed January 28, 2013

As a fairly regular visitor to the wine bar, I can't praise it enough. It has a great atmosphere, with lovely comfy seats where you can wait for your table/food. The bar staff are always friendly and quick, even on busy nights like Saturdays.
The menu is great, perfect amount of choices and proper home cooked food. All are so good for value - the portion sizes are great and the food is tasty. The staff are always happy to amend orders where possible if you don't want something that comes with your food, and they will always make sure everything is okay for you.
I've never had a bad meal here, and I would really recommend it if you want a warm, friendly and laid back atmosphere :).

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank differentviewEssex
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I visited one Friday afternoon for lunch. The staff were very helpful and the food was excellent. Given the price of food, we could not fault it. I only wish I could have stayed longer and sat in the garden.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Iain_with2_eyes
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Visted samuel pepys on bank holiday monday for tea couldnt be bothered to cook so spur of the moment .Food was fab can certainly recommend the sausage and mash and the chicken kiev , staff where very friendly and helpfull will be going back . Just been for a drink and the steak and kidney pudding looked amazing xx

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ijscrb
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Thought we'd have a nice bar meal in Harwich before boarding the Stena Line ferry. Unfortunately we stumbled upon the Samuel Pepys and left wishing we hadn't.
Inside it seems like a decent enough pub with reasonably priced food. The young bar staff were friendly enough and food arrived after not too long a wait. My fish was dry and certainly not fresh. My wife's chicken curry had a sauce with less flavour than dishwater. I suppose with main courses priced at £8 we should have known better but they weren't value for money even at that price.
One to write down to experience, unfortunately.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harwich
The Pier Hotel at Harwich
Lifehouse Hotel & Spa
Lifehouse Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Thorpe le Soken
Captain Fryatt Guest House

Been to Samuel Pepys Hotel? Share your experiences!