“Lacking attention to detail”
Review of The Mogul

The Mogul
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I took a work colleague here the other night from Switzerland who had never been to an Indian restaurant before. Despite it being a Thursday evening they were pretty busy, which normally is a good sign. I've been to the Mogul before when drunk with friends and quite enjoyed the crowded rushed atmosphere, but too be honest, it's not the place to go for a relaxing meal. We didn't get any plates or cutlery for our popadoms and the waiters kept banging into our table because they were having to rush around so much. The tables are so close together that you have to compete with the table next to you to be heard. The food was pretty good and was good value for money which is why I"m not giving it 1/5. Having said that I was very disappointed with the sauces and dips for the poppadoms. There were only 3 dips., and too be honest, they wern't that good. In most Indian restaurants you go to you can expect up to 10 sauces and dips with your popadoms. I wouldn't recommend this place to take business associates, family, or partners for a quiet meal. However I probably would return with friends

1  Thank Sim494

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We visit regularly for takeaways and frequently to eat in. The food is consistently excellent and the owner and several staff know us by name and always greet us with a welcome handshake.

We have booked the downstairs room for a special birthday a few years ago and the owner and his staff could not have been more helpful in ensuring the evening was a complete success, enjoyed by all our friends and relatives.

We highly recommend the Mogul to all who love good food in a friendly and welcoming restaurant.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I've been too some good resturnts in the past at similar to three times the price and I've also been to some bad ones.
The first thing that struck me was the food was priced quite cheaply for the kind of accalade the resturant has, £6.50 for a main, I would have expected closer to £8.50 for quality if nothing else, though I've had some good pried bangladeshi food from a take away before, but may they should put their prices up a little.
Well we got there early on a satarday night, to get a table, and avoid the drunks. We got a table, but the place was crouded, noisey and the air was blue. Not a place to take children or for any kind of romantic or polite dinner.
Both me and my partner order popadoms, she also ordered chicken pasanda and pila rice, I ordered lamb pasanda, paswari rice and onion bargies. Though I sometimes go for more spicy curries, I do like the sweeter ones and I find the delicate ballance of a pasanda is a good judge of the quality of the food over all, as well as the quality of the meat in a lamb dish. Onion bargies can also be overooked in some resturants so i use that as another test on my first visit.

Well, the popodoms where very slightly burnt and although the mango chuptny had good taste at first it quickly became dull. What I believe was supported to be mint youghart had the slightest hint of mint in it all little flavour.

Service was prompt, she orders sparkiling water and I ordered a diet coke, she said the sparkling water was very good.

Anyhow the mains arrived, they wher a fair size with a good amount of sauce, the pasanda was slightly more expensive at £8.50 than most of the other curries and a house special.

I serverd half onto my plate and so did my partner hers an she said it didn't taste of much, my first impressions there it tastes like corrigated card board, if ever you've bitten into corrigated card board as a child you'd know what I mean.

My glass was empty and the water came over but didn't ask if I needed another drink, this was the only problem with the service, usually it can be a bit anoying being asked if you want a drink, but a drink with a cury is pretty essential.

Anyhow, I put the second half onto my plate and came across a very chewy bit of lamb, this and the total lack of flavour, more having to force myself to eat it, left me not wanting to finish my meal.

My partner also didn't want to finish her meal, saying the chicken tasted like it had come out of a can and the pasanda wasn't sweet enough. later we talked she agreed that the description 'dry and fiberious' in another review was about correct.

Anyhow, so the waiters tried to give us another meal and ask what I was wrong, I mentioned the taste of cardboard, that the almonds didn't come through and the tast was lacking and not vibrant, also about the chewy lamb.

I refused any for of compensation, but in the end agreed that I would pay in full and they could give me back what I felt was correct. I didn't mind paying I just won't go back again. In the end they returned about half my money, which I felt was good of them.

anyhow food was very very poor and the atmosphere was attrosious, price was 'cheap' I'd have liked it to have been higher to pay for better quality lamb for instance and keep the riff raff out. service was overall good, but really with both of us only ating half our meals I can only give the review of terrible.

Ps I can't spell, but I do like good food. If you don't trust my review due to my poor spelling, well, that's the risk you take.

4  Thank Oliver S
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Great food, service and value. Always willing to make something not on the menu. Ask for the locally brewed bombay blonde ale instead of the ubiquitous Kingfisher.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My friend brought me to the Mogul in November 2012. First impressions were good and the starter and popadoms etc were fine. However when the main course arrived the Chicken tasted off I mean really bad... I have been eating curry for 16 years and this was the worst tasting main course I have ever been served!!!!! I left over half the chicken and only eat the sauce!!! I So wanted to complain but my friends who agreed the food was terrible didnt want to make a scene. I definitely wont be going there again.

6  Thank DJmike S