“Terrible, terrible service”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Saffron Walden
london
“Terrible, terrible service”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I went their for a family birthday and have never had service like it, they should be ashamed, I had one collect my own drinks after a 20 minute wait and even then didn't get an apology, then the food arrive one dish was served and then a ten minute wait until two wrong meals were delivered, once we stated that was not what we order they took the dishes away only to be served back to us cold ten minutes later, once we complained we were told that's all they have left! Keeping in mind this is at 7:30 seems ridiculous. After complaining that we were not going to pay for the wrong meals we were very rudely asked to leave by a very obnoxious and unprofessional manager. Please skip this place and go to one of the many country pubs that still care about customer service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at this unassuming pub and was pleasantly surprised by its class and decor as well as comfort and inviting staff. The room was amazing. really classy and very modern set in a quirky and old building. The pub itself is decorated to a hig spec and the menu for the evening meal was great. food very tasty and served in a flash. Breakfast was equally as good and I am so pleased a the price.
The staff were very welcoming and I would urge anyone to stay here. It's a little gem!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
england,united kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

i booked the cricketers arms for my boyfriends birthday after reading the great reviews about it. It was a special occasion so i requested a bottle of champagne to be in our room for when we arrived. I telephoned to confirm this on two occasions and each time i rang they had the wrong bottle written down. On the third occasion the lady assured me it had been rectified and there would be champagne in the room as ordered. On arriving,we were greeted by the barman whose first words were "Have you paid?". On entering our room there was the wrong bottle from what i ordered and no glasses.The barmans attitude was a shrug. The 'superior' room i booked had two single beds pushed together, and also there was excrement in our lavatory. My partner and i decided to just press on with the evening as the staff attitude so far had been terrible and we would say what we needed in this review. We had a table booked in their restuarant for 7pm,however,when we sat down we were informed there was a number of dishes on the menu which were unavailable.I consider this quite poor as i think 7pm on a saturday ia relatively early! We left shortly after breakfast the next day,unfortunately,i left an item of clothing in our room.I ended up phoning on 3 separate occasions and each time i was assured it was being sent the next day.The final time i rang,the lady said it was sitting in front of her.When it finally arrived at my house,it reeked of cooking fat,i can only assume it had been sitting in the kitchen area for 2 weeks.All in all,a bad experience that i wont be repeating.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
cozypubs1, Owner at The Cricketers' Arms, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Very sorry that we did not quite get it right on your night. As you can see from all the comments on tripadvisor we get it right 99% of the time.
Please give us another chance to show what we can do.
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in Feb 2013, good sized room for the money, staying in room 5 for £69.00.
Dinner in the bar was really very nice, though the breakfast was poor by comparison.

Pleasant, helpful staff. The village has a nice woodland walk within 5 minutes, otherwise no facilities, but the area is relatively remote.
Would recommend for a short overnight stay. Close to Cambridge and Duxford aerodrome.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nicoslindos
cozypubs1, Owner at The Cricketers' Arms, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time out to review our Inn.
We are sorry breakfast was not up to standard and i will speak to the chef.
Please try us again soon and i really hope it doesn't disappoint again.
Romford
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night with friends after having a superb meal. The staff there were wonderful and couldn't do enough for us. The rooms were very clean and spacious, lovely decor. We had a hearty breakfast and again nothing was too much trouble. The manager was great as was his staff. We will certainly go back and stay (even though our journey took us only 45 minutes) . The village is very pretty and its only 10 minutes away from Saffron Walden, a lovely market town. Will book to stay in the spring.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RonnieThoms
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

On the basis of favourable web reviews, my wife and I booked a double-room at The Cricketers. I asked if it was possible to bring a dog, and was told, ‘Yes, provided you have your evening meal in the bar, rather than the restaurant’. We were allocated a ground-floor room. So far, so good.
When we arrived, a young bar-person was helpful, and took us to Room 2, which was pleasant. So far, so good.
Having settled in, we thought we’d like something to eat, so I went into the pub to find what was available. Here, the stated alternatives were either ‘Light Bites’, which seemed quite expensive, or a sandwich plus fries/soup for £8. I asked if it was possible to have just a sandwich – say, ham, cheese or chicken – and after the bar-person had checked with the kitchen, he reported that they had enough ham to make one sandwich. I thought this a bit strange, but felt reasonably hungry, and so duly ordered.
My order arrived with some ham between two slices of granary bread – though with no spread – but this had all taken a while, so it seemed safest just to grab what was offered.
Later that evening, we arrived in the Bar to eat. A table had been efficiently reserved for us, and we chose our food. As others have noted, the pub’s food is good, if somewhat overpriced. We then went back to Room 2, intending to settle down for the night.
At this point, things seemed to go downhill. I fully expect that a popular pub is likely to be a reasonably bustling place, but would expect that eventually things would settle down. However, almost certainly because of the accommodation block’s design and layout, it seems impossible to get a reasonable degree of peace and quiet. The internal doors close very loudly; an ‘emergency exit’ door is used by staff to get to their outside changing-area; outside lights remain on all night, Guantanamo-style; and staff congregate outside the room at the point exactly adjacent to the frosted glass of the toilet.
On 3 separate occasions, I found myself woken by what sounded like an extended, loud conversation taking place in the car-park. No one was shouting or swearing, but the disturbance kept recurring. Eventually, having peered out of the room’s window, and closed the window of an adjacent corridor, I realised that what I took to be a high-volume, alcohol- fuelled ‘discussion’ was in fact the occupants of Room 3 talking. The sound-proofing was so inadequate that each word could be clearly heard, and further sleep would clearly be impossible.
I therefore got dressed, and made my way to the pub’s office, to ask whether a member of staff could ‘have a word’ – since I’d no idea what reception I might get if banged on a stranger’s door at gone midnight. However, to my amazement, the staff-member suggested I should do exactly that.
Apparently, I had no choice but to knock, which I did. A polite young man opened the door, I explained the situation, and he immediately apologised, and said we would hear no more – which, thankfully, proved true.
Of course, by this stage our sleep had been significantly disturbed, but at least we only had to contend with all-night lights and a departing staff-member’s motorbike...after midnight.
Next morning, we arrived for breakfast, with our elderly, extremely well-behaved dog, and were about to sit down, when 2 staff-members told us we couldn’t take a dog in the (empty) restaurant, and would have to use the Bar.
All breakfast-supplies were set out in one room, while we were relegated to the Bar at the other end of a long pub. Our faces must have registered our surprise – especially when we had to sit at a high pub-table in low, soft-chairs, and then eat a very very poor quality cooked breakfast with no access to juice, cereal , condiments etc etc (unless we took it in turns to jog a 50-foot round trip) while doing an impression of a praying mantis in a high chair! Upon pointing this out to our waitress, she suggested that we could perhaps sit on cushions to raise ourselves up. I couldn’t have been more surprised if she had suggested we fetch our booster-seats from the car.
We were understandably keen to finish eating, and leave – which we did. But I remain both bemused and appalled that an apparently reputable establishment could get things so wrong – and appear defensive, and hostile, rather than conciliatory. The management did agree to waive the cost of the room, but I would have much preferred staying somewhere which simply got the basics right.
The soundproofing between Rooms 2 and 3 is all but non-existent. This was apparent the next morning, when I awoke to the sound of someone using a manual toothbrush.
If dogs are not allowed in your main eating area, which I can quite understand, then simply supply a proper table elsewhere, and make your guests feel welcome. This is the hospitality trade, after all.
The previous night, we had stayed in a similarly priced, city-centre B+B , which proved quiet and comfortable, with unobtrusive hosts and an absolutely outstanding breakfast.
I am not in the habit of offering disgruntled feedback, and only offer my comments in order that this establishment can ponder some serious flaws in its current B+B practices. I would suggest that the noise issue requires some serious attention, and that if you wish to permit guests to bring a well-behaved dog, then you ensure that they are not made to feel like an unwelcome encumbrance.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms 2 and 3.
Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SuzyandChris_13
Thank you for taking the time to review one of our Inn's.
We are sorry that your visit was not as you expected.
We have an excellent reputation on Tripadvisor and it is a shame that your visit did not fit in with the many other fantastic reviews.
I am sorry that you had problems with noise in the room, this is something has not been reported to us before and you can be assurred we will look into it.
As is common in most eaterys dogs are not allowed, empty or not. Dog hairs can get everywhere and most places don't even allow them in rooms anymore.I am again sorry about this.
I hope i have been able to answer a few of your compliants and i am sorry that it has taken so long to answer.
Regards
Tim
Turkey
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is a country pub with accommodation in the village of Rickling Green. It is not in a remote location but there are no shops or other facilities within easy walking distance. The pub is set in the village with ample parking and views over the village green.

Inside the pub the atmosphere is cosy and made even more welcoming by the log fire and timber beams. There is a good wi-fi connection here although getting a signal on the mobile phone can be a little more tricky.

The rooms are excellent and well laid out with all the usual creature comforts. The bed is comfortable, everything works and the shower is powerful and efficient.

Breakfasts are good here and so are the evening meals. The choice of game, steak and venison, along with imaginative menus and well presented food that is really a pleasure to eat all make the Cricketer's Arms rather special.

I imagine that it is especially attractive in the summer months and popular with those that like the countryside.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
The Swan
The Swan
#1 of 1 in Thaxted
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
The Saracens Head Hotel
The Saracens Head Hotel
#2 of 3 in Great Dunmow
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet

Been to The Cricketers' Arms? Share your experiences!