The Saffron Hotel
The Cricketers' Arms(Saffron Walden)
$113
  • Restaurant
$136
$113
  • Pool
The Crown House(Great Chesterford)
TripAdvisor
Duxford Lodge(Duxford)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfunction roomwedding receptionlisted buildinglocation is excellentthe hotel car parkroom was largesaturday eveningno troubleone night staynight's sleepsunday roastlovely atmospherecomfy bedbar areaservice was excellentfull english breakfastcharacter
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My partner's parents stay here fairly often and like it, they request a particular room but I can't remember which. I suspect one's experience varies quite a bit depending on the room - ours was nice and characterful with a comfy bed and a functional but small shower and toilet. Would have been content except for the connecting door - we could hear the banter and radio sing-along as they got ready for their night out then when they came back their voices were louder and the radio beckoned once more! We called reception who called them who were immediately quieter but a better door would help. Our floor also creaked a lot, we were on the top floor so no idea how this might affect people in rooms on lower floors.

Parking is painful, the staff helped but there's not much they can do as they only have a tiny courtyard.

It's an old interesting property which is reflected in the rooms, for me the risks in terms of noise and parking outweigh the charm.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ExploreMindfully
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed here on business, for a total of 5 days.

For the first 2 days, I ended up with a horrible single room, with no bath, just a shower, didn't think much of that.

The next three days, I was allocated a double room, with no bath again. The radiator was noisy and kept me awake half the night.

The hotel was full, but managed to get the last night in the Ashdon suite. Perfect room, very comfy, nice bath,bed, decor etc. very nice room, and was worth paying the extra for.

Wifi in the hotel was useless.

Breakfast was great and freshly cooked, very good.

As this is a hotel in a high street, parking was pants, we had to walk quite away up the road with all our stuff.

I would stay again, but only because, there isn't much else nearby.

Room Tip: Get one of the suites, or one of the doubles with a bath.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MBCMark
Reviewed November 10, 2012

SW is an expensive, desireable spot, this hotel is a traditional old buidling, communal areas very traditional and welcoming. For me hotel rooms are somewhere to put your head down and I spend mist of my time out of the room, my demands are cleanliness, friendliness and value, it ticks all these boxes without any hesitation. Check in was effortless and efficient, room and bathroom very clean, good nights sleep. The car park is a bit restrictive but the staff were helpful in overcoming this (there were no cars in 1600's after all) Room was very small and bathroom very tight, this does not bother me as I am a bloke and when travelling alone I come with just a small bag with a pair of pants in it and a toothbrush. Great spot for town, would love to comment on the breakfast but unusually I slept thru it, either a thumbs up for a nice comfy bed or perhaps the easy access to nice local pubs the night before ! If you want a huge sumptious suite go and pay £200 elsewhere, common sense, traditional hotel which is clean and friendly spot on, thanks

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed here recently for 1 night as attended a wedding nearby.

The room was small but clean and had the facilities needed for a stop over.

The staff were welcoming and helpful (booking a taxi for us to get to the wedding), although this taxi was expensive. This was not down to the hotel though.

The breakfast was lovely and the staff were very attentive and asked if we needed or wanted anything during and after.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back of the hotel are probably quieter
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Not the best experience of our UK visit. Only one night stay and I would shop around if we stayed at Saffron Walden again. Just didn't have the good friendly atmosphere usually associated with Old English hotels. Rooms small but clean.

Room Tip: Similar to other review, I am 6'+ and found the ceiling height an issue.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family