“Ok food, poor service”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Had a lunchtime meal recently which was pleasant enough - food was quite nice, decent portion size and was ok value for money. The setting is fairly pleasant and as it was a Monday lunchtime it was fairly quiet. This is the second time that I have eaten here and left with the same impression from both visits - on each occasion we have walked in to the building and waited at the bar for someone, anyone, to approach us, greet and welcome us and be mildly interested and pleased to see us! (staff behind the bar and waiting staff moving around us). This is a hospitality business with, from our experience, very little hospitality. On this particular occasion we had a waitress who, although efficient, was not at all friendly and did not smile for the duration of our visit. I was prepared to accept that the first visit might have been a bad day, or a one-off, but after more of the same I won't be giving it another chance. If the service was anywhere close to what is expected I would have given it 3/5. They should be aware that there are other places in town where customers patronage is valued and, accordingly, a warm welcome is offered.

3  Thank 2GuysSW

Reviewed July 31, 2014

My family and I have been coming here weekly for the past 4 years and every time the food and service has been fantastic. The food is consistently excellent. The seabass ravioli is a particular favourite. Thank-you Andrea, Danny and all the staff. Keep up the good work, I look forward to the next 4 years. x

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We visit the gate generally for a takeaway every couple of weeks and have done so since it opened. As you walk in the smells evoke all my memories of being on holiday in naples. The pizzas are superb and the service excellent. Very good value for money too!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Everyone I know is impressed with 'The Gate' - excellent Italian food, served without fuss in a spotlessly clean environment, don't just take my word for it, try and you will be convinced.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

avoid the Italian-chain restaurants on the High Street in Saffron Walden and visit Andrea and the rest of the team at the Gate on Thaxted Road.

Easier to park, delicious homemade pizzas in a traditional wood fire oven, play equipment (wooden fort) outside for the children and a warm welcome awaits.

We have eaten here as a family of 3 but also booked the whole venue for a 50 people as a private function. on all occasions this place does not disappoint.

the starters are delicious (try the Seaford Spiedino), my favourite is the Calzone with a diavolo filling (special order they are willing to do for me), and the chocolate souffle to finish things off.

you'll be treat with a little limoncello to finish which is a wonderful touch completing your evening.