“Little bit of Italy - my 'local'”
Review of The Gate

The Gate
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Little bit of Italy - my 'local'”
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

The Gate deserves its number 1 spot to eat in Saffron Walden. The food is wonderful! My favourite is the taggliatelle with lobster which with the not too rich sauce is divine. Also yum is the homemade ravioli stuffed with sea bass. Their chocolate mousse is for choccy and light and I love how it is always the right temperature - not cold from the fridge. The Italian chef also makes pizzas to takeaway ready to eat in ten minutes. I can't eat pizza from anywhere else now. They are friendly but even when the place has been busy I have never felt rushed. Whenever I have been there the staff have always been friendly and helpful. We used to come before everyone else heard about them through word of mouth. I'm very fortunate to have The Gate as my local. More of a restaurant than pub you would always be welcome if you popped in for a pint and probably end up ordering one of their delicious pizzas. It's not just the well heeled of Saffron Walden who eat here, it's a favourite of youngsters too and it's very good value for money. Did I tell you my work is going there for our Christmas dinner? And not a slice of turkey to be seen!

Cambridge
“Exceptional food, great atmosphere and good service”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I like easy going, fairly informal, places to eat but delivery of good food is a must and The Gate delivered for me on all counts!
The menu was small but perfect as it offered something for everyone and I certainly felt that everything was as freshly prepared as any restaurant can.
On my visit I had one of the specials - black ravioli stuffed with poached salmon with a "fish sauce". The fish sauce was more like a remarkable Cacciucco - a meal in itself! I absolutely loved it. My Carpaccio to start was great and I know my wife loved her roasted figs with lovely prosciutto followed by Lasagne. Neither of us had room for a desert!
We thoroughly enjoyed our evening and overall the evening was good value.
We will definitely be returning - table is already booked!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank YellowAndBacardi
“Friendly but not amazing food.”
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Lots of people have raved about this place so I decided to give it a try. Firstly I have to say that the wooden chairs you sit on aren't that comfortable! The service was good as was the food, the starter portion was huge but not that well presented! My main was fish and was slightly overcooked. Friendly service and atmosphere but won't be rushing back.

Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous Grub”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Outstanding Italian food - the seafood pasta is fantastic and so are all the dishes I have ever eaten there. Modern eating space, and good atmosphere. One of our regular eating places which never fails to impress with the quality of the food.

Visited October 2012
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“Lovely atmosphere with very attentive and friendly staff”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We enjoyed the whole experience, the food is good, nice menu, with a good selection of pizza and steaks. We went with our 5 children and everyone enjoyed their meal. Good value for money and the staff are always friendly and go out of their way to ensure everyone is happy

Visited July 2012