“What a shame !!!”
Review of The Museum Inn

The Museum Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Farnham
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Museum Inn is a superb 17th Century country inn situated in the delightful village of Farnham, Dorset, on the glorious Cranborne Chase, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and a renowned countryside pursuit's destination. The 2 Rosettes restaurant serves seasonal British cuisine and you can expect that every plate on the Museum Inn menu is as fresh as it can be and is expertly crafted with a passion for the local countryside. With low ceilings, flag stone floors and a roaring log fire, the Museum bar has a cosy, traditional feel with a relaxing ambience that ensures a steady stream of local clientele. It offers a wide selection of imported drafts and local beers as well as an extensive wine list.
Wareham, United Kingdom
“What a shame !!!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

we visited this afternoon after good trip advisor reviews so decided to travel 25 miles to have Sunday lunch. We dined with 6 adults and four children.
As we looked at the limited menu where the museum certainly wanted to "showcase" their roasts we all opted For the beef roast and what then came was shocking !!!!
2 slices of beef and a home made Yorkshire then the vegetables which were cold !! Hardly cooked and then the so called roast potatoes were cold, hard and not really roasted !! Not want I or my family wanted at £16 per roast . Also the service was slow and we had 1 waiter coming for what seemed miles withe 2 plates at a time so by the time the last plates were delivered the first plates were cold !! Perhaps another waitress could have helped ?? Feel they have really missed an opportunity to showcase the good English roast dinner.
We then ordered dessert which was ok - quite a dense sticky toffee pudding however what shocked me more is that someone had let the dessert leave the pass with to massive chips ( not the potato variety )on the plate which could have cut myself as it was really sharp. I did point this put when it was given to me but to nothing was done.

I did give my feedback to the blonde headed owner who was sorry to hear our experience but offered nothing in the form of luring us back or saying it was unusual to give this pub a good reputation - what a missed opportunity for a lovely pub ........... But there are much much nicer pubs to dine at and considerably better value for money.

1 Thank theburge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Hong Kong, China
“Great local character with fab food”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Very friendly pub. Though part of a chain now, is very unchain like. Food was excellent and cosy atmosphere. Wish I went back on my second night. Will return again one day.

Visited December 2012
Poole, United Kingdom
“A relaxed evening”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We were passing on the way back from Salisbury and popped in on the spur of the moment on a Friday evening. We were cheerfully greeted from behind the busy bar and seated swiftly in the secluded yet intimate area on the way to the main hotel itself. The girls who serve are uniformly polite and cheerful. The house (Chilean) Chardonnay is quite the best I have tasted in a long time. We ate off the pub classics which are very reasonably priced, but there are many specials and alternatives too. To merely call them fish and chips or sausage and mash is insulting to the excellent kitchen brigade. The fish in crisp batter just melted and was served astride a generous portion of pea puree along with a delicate bucket of chips. The sausages were succulent venison on perfect mashed potato. Having been hard on The Museum in the past I am pleased to again be so complimentary. The people of Farnham are very lucky indeed.

• Visited November 2012
“Lost the plot”
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

We've been frequenting The Museum for some 6 years now and are sad to report it has been on a seemingly never ending downward trajectory. Thursday lunchtime saw the place all but deserted. My dining partner and I ordered a pints of Marston's Pedigree which can only be described as rank and the local Handley brew which was not much better - we didn't finish them. Our main courses were well presented but calves liver was inedible and full of tubes and nasty rubber stuff. Vegetables were horribly over salted. Service was friendly and welcoming. Something is seriously wrong here. Can it get any worse?

1 Thank D S
Poole, United Kingdom
“Superb”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The resurrection of The Museum is finally confirmed. I have been less than kind to this property in the past but tonight's experience was warnly complimented by all. The service was slick, competent and friendly. The food was outstanding and the overall dinner good value for money. How often does one look at a menu and find that it is difficult to choose as there are so many tantalising dishes on offer. I couldn't resist the Wookey Hole cheddar cheese souffle that was cooked to perfection in its own miniature copper saucepan - outstanding. The gravy with the sausage and mash was deliciously sweet - and I am known for not normally liking jus lie. All in all this was a superb experience in the newly redecorated "Shed."

• Visited October 2012