“Excellent B&B”
Review of St Martin's House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blandford Forum
St Martin's House
Ranked #11 of 22 Blandford Forum B&B and Inns
Reigate
“Excellent B&B”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This was an excellent B&B where we were made most comfortable & welcome. Our only small criticisms were a smell of cooking in the evening & on a cold night the central heating came on rather late. But it was a real pleasure to stay there and our double bed was exceptional. We would strongly recommend St Martin's House and would stay there again if the opportunity arose.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Caroline A, Owner at St Martin's House, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Richard

I really am so very sorry that the house was not warm enough for you. I do wish you had mentioned it at the time so that we could have made you properly comfortable. Our weather has certainly been up and down like a yoyo just lately and, although we do have the central heating programmed to come on and go off at set times, it is the work of a moment to over-ride those settings. If you should happen to be with us on a future occasion, do please say if you are not entirely comfortable.

My apologies, also, for the fact that you were able to notice the smells of cooking. I obviously didn’t have the extractor fan turned up high enough and will certainly bear it in mind in the future.

Thank you so much for reviewing your stay and I do hope that the above points did not detract too much from your enjoyment of your weekend.

With very best regards – Caroline Adamson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

A charming house, full of beautiful and interesting objects. Immaculately clean and spacious rooms, with comfy beds and morning birdsong. Breakfast with generous selection of homemade jams and marmalades were a real treat. The real star quality of this B & b was our hostess Caroline who was very warm and hospitable. Despite our late arrival, and numerous questions she was helpful and gracious and made us feel as if nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Caroline A, Owner at St Martin's House, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Nicole
What can I say but "thank you" for you very kind comments. It's hugely satisfying to think that, just possibly, people really do feel 'at home' when they come here. It was a very great pleasure having the four of you to stay with us and we hope we might have the pleasure again at some time.
Best wishes - Caroline
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is an excellent B&B in a good location - only a five-minute walk from the town centre but very peaceful at night. The rooms are spacious with good facilities, the bed was extremely comfortable, and the breakfast was worth the trip in itself! What sets this B&B apart from the rest, however, is the owner - Caroline went out of her way to make sure we had a great stay, even though we were only staying overnight for a job interview the next day. She even put decaf coffee in our room so we wouldn't be awake all night high on caffeine! There's safe, private parking right outside the front door (which is useful as parking in Blandford seems difficult), and Caroline has vast knowledge of the local area so you'll never be stuck for something to do or a place to eat. Overall the atmosphere she creates makes it feel more like you're staying with friends than in a B&B, and it was certainly the best place for us to relax before a stressful day!!

(By the way, the interview was a success so thanks again for a great stay!!)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DanielandClaire
Caroline A, Owner at St Martin's House, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Daniel & Claire

Many, many congratulations. I'm assuming you both got the jobs in which case I couldn't be more pleased for you. Well done!

And thank you very much indeed for your extremely kind comments. It was most generous of you and much appreciated.

Do come back and see us anytime.

Very best wishes – Caroline
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I can highly recommend this B&B. The rooms are excellent, clean and spacious, likewise the bathrooms. Breakfasts are delicious and Caroline goes out of her way to make her guests feel welcome and accommodate their needs. I have had to cancel a stay due to health reasons and again Caroline has been very gracious and helpful about this. The house is well placed, a short walk to the centre of Blandford and within reach of other places beyond Blandford by car or bus. It is quiet and I had a good rest while there.

Room Tip: Both her rooms are equally good
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sue

How extremely kind of you to review us, especially seeing as you were unable to come down this time. Thank you.

We look forward to seeing you again in November.

Dukinfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My partner and I have just stayed at St. Martins this weekend. I must say it was pleasurable. We were made very welcome. Our bedroom was very clean and spacious. My only issue was that the bed was a little too high. I am only small and had to climb onto the bed, but once in, it was very comfortable. The breakfast was very nice, cooked to what we asked. The assortment of jams and marmalades were lovely. Thank you for a lovely stay. We would come back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Caroline A, Owner at St Martin's House, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Debbie
I am so very sorry that you had something of a problem with the height of the brass bed. I only wish that you had mentioned it to me immediately as it would have been the work of a moment to put a little footstool in the room for you. I confess I hadn't registered that it might be on the high side for you, for which I apologise.
I'm so glad that, apart from that particular difficulty, you enjoyed your stay and I do hope that we will see you again sometime. (If you should prefer to stay in our other room with its standard divan beds, do let us know when booking.)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2012

St Martin's House was well placed for what I wanted to do - see my daughter putting on a play at BRYANSTON SCHOOL - in GREEK!
The lady of the house was ideally placed, since she had worked at the Tourist Information Office, and knew all the highways and by-ways.
The house was well placed, because it was within ten minutes of the town centre.
The facilities were fine. What impressed were the jars of home-made marmalade, etc, and the care taken over the presentation.
(Minor niggles about the noisy door have been ironed out by e-mail.)
What I most remember was the cartoon over the bathroom mirror - 'If I'd known I'd last as long as this, I'd have looked after myself better.'

Room Tip: I'd advise sleeping upstairs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mike
Thank you so much for your feedback. That our guests take the time and trouble to share their experience of staying with us is hugely appreciated and I do hope we will have the pleasure of your company again if your daughter is directing another production next year.
Best regards
Caroline Adamson
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is a very good B&B and good value. However, it only works if you have a car (there is off street parking). Blandford is a pleasant town with some attractions but, as a tourist, you would only stay here as a convenient base to visit other parts of Dorset. I was very well looked after. Caroline and Steve are very helpful with information about attractions, eating places, directions etc, but otherwise will leave you alone. the room was spacious and comfortable with two rather narrow single beds. Not a true 'ensuite', but your own dedicated bathroom across the passage. Probably one of the better breakfasts around, with a good choice of both 'hearty' and 'healthy' options.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Caroline A, Owner at St Martin's House, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Bill

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to review your stay with us. It was a great pleasure to meet you and we really hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your UK tour.

A propos the 3ft single beds, I only wish that you had mentioned after the first night that you found it to be a little on the small size for your needs. I would have been more than happy to convert the twin beds into a 6ft double. It takes but a matter of minutes and ensures that we have the flexibility to offer single, twin or double occupancy in that room.

You're quite right about the need for a car in our part of the world unless one is a very intrepid and determined traveller! Unfortunately rural parts of UK are seeing continuing reductions in public transport services, but we are lucky enought to still have reasonably regular bus services between Blandford, Poole, Salisbury and Weymouth - if one is prepared to take rather longer with one's travels! The bonus is, we still a wonderfully beautiful, unspoilt countryside. Not on the scale of your native New Zealand, I will admit, but we still love it very much.

Hope you decide to visit UK again sometime.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Blandford Forum
#1 of 3 in Wimborne Saint Giles
Hilltop Barn
Hilltop Barn
#1 of 3 in Winterborne Zelston

Been to St Martin's House? Share your experiences!