“Not a pleasant experience in this B&B”

Westwood Guest House
Ranked #3 of 45 Lyme Regis B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2008

When I booked the B&B over the phone with Lavinia she was very nice and helpful, she also emailed infos regarding the places to eat etc. However, once we got there, she was not so helpful any more. I was unhappy the position of the room which was on the ground floor-next to the entrance door, which was quite noisy. I asked her if we can change the room, to which she agreed, only to call me hour later telling me that she cannot give me the room on the first floor-since it was already booked, even though we have already moved our stuff into the room on the first floor?!
Room was nice & new with lovely bathroom. Dump on one side of the wall-not so pleasant!
The worst thing was breakfast. I need to ask for bread to start breakfast-since they won't serve bread before you order cook breakfast, but since I like my jam on toast, I have to ask specifically to get bread-the breakfast girl gave me such a look(Oliver Twist one). When ask to provide us with some orange juice, which was run-out, the girl refilled it to the level enough for two shot glasses (~100ml) in a large jug! Next morning Lavinia was serving breakfast alone for 12 guest at the same time, since breakfast run only for an hour 8.30-9.30. I understand it's lots to do (which is the nature of the B&b business) and the breakfast girl apparently canceled last minute-she was very stressed and abrupt. When I asked if I could get worm milk for my cereal (since I digest it much easier this way), and was skipping a cook breakfast that morning, her reply was-'MAYBE' + Can you see I'm very busy this morning?! I have to say I was shocked after her response. I got the milk in 5 min-but lost the appetite in the meantime. The quality of the breakfast is very low-and they cut the corners where ever they can-I understand that credit crunch is crunching,everyone really, but this is the one of the most expensive B&B in town! Also the place was cold! The heating was working for few times a day- I was cold on several occasion!
The location of B&B is great, but the owner appear no to have B&B hostess manners.
I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2008
2  Thank cutukandjelka788

Reviewed October 27, 2008

We have just returned from a very pleasant weekend. The B & B was very comfortable and Lavinia, the owner made us feel very welcome in her guest house. It had all the home comforts, along with a beautiful view over looking Lyme Bay. It is about a 10 minute walk from the sea front, although it is a killer hill walking back - but that helped us walk off the cream teas! I would definitely stay at the Westwood Guest house again. Thank you for making us so welcome - and what a lovely breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2008

I booked Westwood guest house based on tripadvisor reviews. We were attending an event at River Cottage, and the location was perfect for making a weekend by the sea out of it. Lavinia would only take two-night advance bookings, but in the end I'm glad we stayed the extra night.

After having broken down on our journey, we arrived much later than anticipated but Lavinia was extremely accommodating. We had dinner reservations in Axminster which we were running very late for, and I was worried that we'd be further set back with the checking-in process and associated pleasantries, but Lavinia clicked immediately that we were in a rush and was extremely efficient in showing us our room and assuring us that it was no problem that we had to dash straight back out. She had even suggested that we'd have been fine had we have gone straight to the restaurant and checked in after, which would have been close to midnight.

As others have said, the room was spotless, comfortable and tasteful.

In considering the negaitve elements other reviewers have highlighted, I would respond by saying it's probably more about the kind of guest you are. if you're not a confident hill-starter the parking could be considered a problem, but really, if thats an issue for you you shouldn't be on the road. Others have suggested Lavinia may come across as brusque . I can only imagine that would be the observation of people who love to be schmoozed and sucked up to on their travels. Her manner is warm and efficient, but never overbearing. The breakfasts are a very good standard and the home made fruit salad lovely. The breakfast room itself is exceptional, with the pleasant addition of soft tasteful music. As others have said, the property is on a hill but this is Lyme Regis and were the property not on a hill, the views would not be so spectacular. We had an upstairs room, and after seeing the downstairs rooms with terrace, I felt we were not especially missing out on anything.

Perhaps more senior individuals who can't drive very well and enjoy being patronised should find somewhere else to stay, but we will certainly be back.

Taxis to River Cottage were £5-£10

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the West wood Guest House.
From the moment I arrived Lavinia make me feel most welcome.
The house has beautiful views over looking pictuersque Lyme bay. The house is tastefully decorated with added personal touches .The rooms are beautifully decorated and sumptuous. The ground floor rooms have terraces with a sea view.The beds are extra comfy too ! It was hard to get out of bed !
The breakfasts are delicious, some of the products are from local suppliers, the dining room light and airy.
Lavinia and her staff were most friendly helpful and curteous.
Her warm hospitality made me feel quite at home.
I will definately be staying there again

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We stayed for 2 nights and were delighted with the standard of the accomodation.
Our room, whilst not huge, was quite sufficient, spotlessly clean and with some great touches; fridge (with fresh milk for your tea/coffee), hairdryer, iron and ironing board - clearly a lot of thought has gone into a travellers needs.
The guest house itself is beautifully converted and decorated and if you are staying longer (or in good weather) probably worth paying a little more for a room with access to the decking.
Lavinia was very helpful when we asked for recommendations on places to eat, and her suggestions were excellent.
Our only gripe was that at times we found her quite brusque.
It is a walk up the hill from Lyme Regis town but nothing that could not be eased by popping into one of the numerous lovely shops for a fortifying Dorset pasty, cake or fudge....

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2008

We stayed at the Westwood Guest House recently for three days. First of all the room was a good size and pleasantly decorated. The bed was very comfy and the ensuite was a decent size with a lovely shower. The LCD TV, whilst not huge, is big enough for the room. From the window we had a lovely view of Lyme Bay with the cliffs of the Jurassic coast in the distance. The house itself, hallways and dining room/conservatory are all decorated to a high standard.

The breakfast was delicious and the fruit salad with cream was apparently very good too. Everyone seemed to be eating it.

Parking wasn't a problem for us. If you're blocking someone in just leave the keys with Lavinia and she'll see to it.

The Wireless Broadband was easy to access.

Finally the walk back from Lyme Regis. To be honest it's nowhere near as bad as people make out. There are two ways back. Gently along by the stream and up the steep woodmead road or towards woolies and then on to the health centre, this route has a more gradual climb.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2008

what a lovely bed and breakfast, rooms clean, airy, really comfortable beds, crisp clean sheets. Attention to detail was excellent ! the breakfast was served in the conservatory with lovely views over lyme regis, and the food was great.. nothing was to much trouble. this is by far one of the best b and bs we have stayed in and we will definitely return, Dont worry about the parking lavinia will help with the parking, we did not need to move our car for the entire stay as lavinia took care of everything.
cannot think of anything negative, we had an enjoyable, relaxing stay here and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
#2 of 45 in Lyme Regis
Kersbrook Guest Accommodation
Kersbrook Guest Accommodation
#24 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to Westwood Guest House? Share your experiences!