“Very stylish but very small”

and 1 more site!
Westwood Guest House
Ranked #2 of 45 Lyme Regis B&B and Inns
england
“Very stylish but very small”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We booked the Amber Room which was very clean and stylish but also very small. The balcony had lovely views but was far from private as we discovered the first morning! As it was very hot and there were no fans in the room (there wouldn’t have been the space anyway) we left the double doors open with the net curtain in place. We were very disconcerted at 8.30 the next morning to see/hear people walking back and forth on the balcony past the open doors to our room, about 4ft from our bed, serving breakfast to the next door room which shared our balcony.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Yorkshire
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We arrived at the Westwood BB to find another couple leaving as they found their room too small. This did worry us at first but when we were shown our room, which was the Crystal room, we thought, size wise, it was adequate. Our bathroom was lovely, more of a wet room really, and was spotlessly clean, as was our room. We had our own private terrace but it was very disconcerting to find that it was near the gate to the guest house so was not private at all and it allowed the other guests to look into our room if the patio doors were open!! It was also near to the road so was very noisy and the only view we had was a hedge unless we stood up! Disappointing really. Lavinia, the owner, was helpful and once we got to know her a little better and she us, was friendly and approachable. The Westwood is at the top of a hill so the views are spectacular (standing up in the case of our terrace), but from the breakfast room they are spectacular. However, what a major climb it is from the harbour and town of Lyme Regis back to the b & b after a day out!!! Parking is a major issue and you have to leave your keys with the owner so she can move cars around if you are parked in front of any others. It's a very tight car park but there is work going on to increase its size. Breakfast was an absolute delight, marvellous food, lots of choice and of a very high quality and was served by Lavinia herself and a very helpful young lady.

All in all I can say it was an enjoyable stay but would I return ......... I don't know.

Nottingham
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at Westwood late am, check in wasn't until 2pm but I had advised the landlady via email and she said this wasn't a problem.

As we pulled up we were very happy with the building, it was lovely looking and stands very well at the top of a hill, brilliant, we thought.

I reversed parked our 4x4 onto the drive whilst my girlfriend watched as it was quite tight.

As soon as I had parked up I heard a voice, it was a lady stood on the overlooking decking. She said in a somewhat rude manner " your not leaving that there" to which I replied "umm would you like me to move it" I then was told "well think about the other vehicles getting in and out".

Now this reads a pretty much acceptable however I was in slight disbelief at the rude and patronising tone.

After I reversed our car as close to the wall as I could we made our way up to the front door.

We were lead to our room by the landlady who introduced herself as Lavina.

My partner and I were both in shock about how we had been spoken to, we decided to forget about it and get on with our trip.

We returned later in the evening to settle down. The room was cosy and the bed was very comfortable. I set my alarm for 08:30 so we could go down for breakfast.

I shouldn't have bothered, we were woken at 06:30 by builders working on the rear of the property. Shocked and annoyed we lay on the bed, this was supposed to be a relaxing trip away.

Anyway we went down for breakfast, the waitress said we could sit outside to eat so we headed towards the tables outside... the next thing "No no they don't belong to you", Lavinia again. Feeling a bit silly in front of other guests we were taken to another table at the front of the house.

Anyway we headed out and enjoyed the day, we returned again in the evening and settled down for bed. We weren't woken by the builders on our second morning, but u could hear them working outside.

I will say that this house is fantastic, in a fantastic location but we just felt a bit on edge whilst walking around.. whether we were allowed in certain areas or not etc.

Lavinia kind of ruined our stay from the start which is such a shame as it is a lovely place. She didn't even inform us about building work or apologise if we had been disturbed.

Dont get me wrong, if work needs to be done it needs to be done. And if we were in a side room we wouldn't have even noticed it. It just would have been nice to have at least had some warning (or for the builders not to start at 06:00)

I did check on trip advisor prior to our stay and saw a handful of bad reviews.

I read these poor reviews whilst we were there and can completely understand why other guests said what they did..

I'm sorry but the welcome and the builders really ruined our trip. I would recommend Lyme but not Westwood.

• Stayed July 2013
Lavinia_LymeRegis, Owner at Westwood Guest House, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
This is a very unfortunate and regrettable series of events, some of which I apologise for and others I feel I must explain. Firstly, it is unfortunate that my car parking arrangements are not what I’d wish for (at least there is parking which is generally quite limited in Lyme Regis) so parking needs to be flexible so I can ensure there is space for each of my guests. I do apologise if you felt my reaction came across as abrupt, this was not my intention at all.

The problem with the builders concerns the repair of my car park wall, there is no major building work being undertaken. Unfortunately and very regrettably, because of the very hot weather they thought they'd start early to avoid the heat. I had no idea they were going to start work this early and as soon as I realised what had happened, told them this was not acceptable and 9am was their start time and any noisy work would have to be carried out later in the day. I can appreciate how annoying this must have been and again, I do apologise.

My 16year old waitress was on her 2nd day – and this was my fault of course because I hadn’t told her that only the guests in the rooms with the balcony could sit out there for their breakfast. I apologised to these guests and told them if they would like to sit outside I had another table at the front of the house and showed them to it, they seemed very happy to have breakfast there, again my apologies if they were made to feel silly.

What is astonishing is that I knew nothing about any of this until I read this review – when asked if they had enjoyed their stay. I ask everyone as a matter of course, and they told me they had had a lovely time. I wonder why nothing was mentioned about being woken so early? suffering in silence not knowing if it was going to happen the next morning? Wouldn't’ it have been better to have told me at the time? this would have enabled me to explain about the builder and waitress and apologise for this and allow me to offer to put this right in some way - financially at least.

I have in fact written to these guests privately with the intention of rectifying the situation.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I cannot recommend this B&B highly enough, I don't usually write reviews but found this by using Tripadvisor so wanted to share my experience with others. This is a very luxurious B&B, the accommodation is excellent, we stayed in the Garden Room, which has its own entrance, separate lounge, a kitchen area (not that we used it) and the most amazing bathroom! Lavinia is an excellent host, attentive and friendly from the moment of booking, always on hand with help and advise but not intrusive. The breakfast room has great views of the sea and the breakfasts are delicious, made to order and set you up for the day. The guest house is situated on a hillside, hence the wonderful views but it is an easy walk into town and the sea front and good exercise on the return! We loved Lyme Regis and the Westwood Guest House and will return!

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Westwood Guest House is absolutely delightful, a perfect base for exploring Lyme Regis and the Jurassic Coast. We stayed in the Crystal Room, which was spacious and beautifully appointed, with a gloriously comfortable bed. Lavinia is a charming hostess and her made-to-order breakfasts are delicious. The beautiful breakfast room and terrace offer great views to the sea, and our two-day stay was simply not enough - we can't wait to return!

Very highly recommended, and excellent value.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Arrived in Lyme Regis on Monday and everything went very smoothly. The trip here was meant as an 18th birthday present for me and my girlfriend with the primary reason for coming being fossil hunting.

The rooms were modern, fully furnished and very pleasant, if a little small.

On the second day (Tuesday) there was a significant amount of rain and as anyone who has visited Charmouth will know it can be very muddy. So later when we got back to the B&b we both had a shower, then to our horror when we checked out on Thursday, the hostess was extremely rude and simply nasty. She pointed out the mud on the towel and even threatened to send a bill, then when we asked if we could leave our luggage there she gave a very sarcastic response of "normally I would let people but because of the way you've been". I am totally disgusted after paying £315 that this abrupt and aggressive hostess has the cheek to moan about mud on a towel.

In summary Lyme Regis is a beautiful town with much to do but I strongly advise people to stay well away from this B&b. Do not get fooled by the number of 5star reviews she made our stay feel very uncomfortable. Never again!

• Stayed July 2013
Lavinia_LymeRegis, Owner at Westwood Guest House, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
If you deliberately damage my belongings and disrespect my property, I think I am entitled to be cross! This was nothing to do with the weather or the rain - these people went to the beach and collected fossils, then came back to their room washed and dried the fossils with my brand new towels. I was horrified... there was no remorse or apology, they also weren’t too happy that they had to be asked to vacate their room, they were still lying on the bed, at 11:15, when check out is 11am, it is possibly because they were young and not used to staying in high standard accommodation that they thought all of this was acceptable. I won’t go into details about the mess, rubbish, pizza boxes and toilet rolls - not in the waste bin but strewn across the floor .

I pride myself on flawless bed linen and towels and these 2 new white luxury towels - 1 bath sheet and 1 bath towel are impossible to use again and even after this, they have insinuated that they would be charged, they were not. They also fail to mention here, I did give them a front door key and did allow them to leave their luggage from 11:30am to 8pm.

So yes, if you deliberately damage my belongings and treat my property with a total lack of disrespect... be warned!!
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This is by far the best Guest House we have stayed in. The location is perfect with the onsite parking. The room was spacious and spotless.
The service received was warm and friendly and the breakfast was very well cooked.
We will certainly stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013