“Never had worse Fish & Chips”
Review of Cobb Gate Fish Bar

Cobb Gate Fish Bar
Ranked #64 of 83 Restaurants in Lyme Regis
Cuisines: British
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Portion of fish not much bigger than fish finger, chips obviously double cooked as dark brown and still cold!! So bad I won't even feed it to the seagulls!!

4  Thank subforester

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I cannot believe this chip shop is so bad! Chips are rationed and the fish is so poorly cooked. Just go a Walk to the other end of the parade or step back into coombe st to find a far better meal.

4  Thank Daveysprocket2
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Having looked for a fish and chip shop in Lyme Regis we eventually tried Cobb Gate Fish Bar which is situated right in the Center next to the sea.

We were welcomed by a young man, pretty rough looking and definitely not the customer service type. It was at this point I knew this wasn't going to be the greatest culinary experience, but the food from here was the worst I've ever had from a chippy.
Fortunately I had the foresight to avoid the fish and ordered a saveloy and chips and a battered sausage and chips.

Chips were just about passable, main problem being fried at too low heat in rubbish quality oil. The saveloy was rock hard and had probably 50% rusk in it.

To top it off when I saw the "spray" on vinegar and reluctance to add enough to taste, the realisation that I'd just wasted £7.20 became apparent.

One last note to the boy and girl for the most unpleasant and indiffent service I've ever received. If you are the owner you should be ashamed!

5  Thank richieclarkie
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

It was a cold wet night, and this chippy shone out like an oasis at the bottom of the hill. Unfamiliar with the area, and having driven around for about an hour looking for some seaside fish and chips, I thought we'd cracked it. I wish I'd looked on here before I went in!

Small cod and chips and chicken nuggets and chips came to nearly £12. Cans of Pepsi and Tango were £1.10 each.

I live near London, and they're city prices. Not sleepy seaside town out of season prices. The other thing is in London, we get double the amount of food for the same money.

The fish was smaller than the tray that held the chips and was pitifully thin. The chips were a meagre portion, dry and strangely tough. Portions were tiny, and quite overcooked - disappointing as the food was cooked to order. Not a pleasant eating experience.

I give a rating of 2 for food only because my wife enjoyed the chicken nuggets.

There were empty tables at this shop that were all covered in salt, vinegar and food scraps. Unforgivable when the shop was empty and three staff were behind the counter doing nothing.

Staff were very curt in the way they spoke to both customers and to each other. The atmosphere was that of a sibling falling out, very short and sharp and everything a bit too much effort. They didn't want to be there, and after a while, neither did I.

As I paid, the girl said to me "cod chicken nuggets", I said yes. She said it again, I said I'm not sure what you're asking me now. She said it again, I reiterated the order she had taken from me 60 seconds ago and she just sighed, waved her arms and took my money. I still don't understand what happened!

Overall I'd say unless you like paying over the odds for over cooked food, give this one a miss.

3  Thank ChrisWGC
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We visited today 9/08/12. We bought 2 x sausage and chips twice...£8.80!!!!!!!!! I could live with that if the guy serving was polite/helpful...he wasnt! and if the food was good...2 very cheap and nasty sausages with semi warm squidgy chips which he thouroughly plastered with salt. No wonder the place was empty when ALL thr competion along the front had queues....we should have known...and now you do....dont bother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5  Thank steve b