“Excellent stay, in the middle of a storm!”

Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed for two nights in February whilst we attended a cookery course at River Cottage which is just a short drive away.

We had a lovely bedroom, stunning view and bed very comfortable albeit the room was very small and the bathroom nothing more than TINY. at £260 a night, we were hoping for something more spacious.

Staff were all very helpful and polite, afternoon tea was very nice too.

Dinner menu was limited and the quality could have been better, think the restaurant is trying to be something that would have been highly rated in the late 1990's ...its quite an old fashioned style and old fashioned service where there rest of the hotel is modern classic.

That said, we would return, this time hopefully when the sun is shining and we are not in the middle of the worse storm the UK has ever seen!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Dear 170606

Thank you for writing your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and can appreciate your comments with regard to our restaurant service and menus. It is always a matter of personal opinion but I can assure you that we consider all comments made by our guests when reflecting upon our style of service and menu choice. I am however encouraged by your desire for a repeat visit and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed at this beautiful hotel for one night this week.... The staff were so friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The accomodation was faultless in every way and the views were stunning from our first floor double bedroom. It is a bit pricey but if you want to push the boat out then this trully is the place to come...

1  Thank martin s
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear martin s

Thank you for your review, I am so encouraged by your positive comments because I know how much effort all my staff give to make every one of our guests feel welcome and at home at the Alexandra. Whether it is simply for a passing coffee with family and friends, or for a stay in one of our guest bedrooms, we are very happy to greet all who visit our beautiful hotel.

Sean smith

Reviewed February 27, 2014

We booked last minute and were given a lovely room with sea view. We were able to watch waves splashing over the Cobb from our bed. The complimentary tea and walnut and choc chip biscuits delicious also luxury bathroom products. We ate one of the best meals ever in their restaurant and the service was professional and friendly. Will definitely go back!

Room Tip: Upper with sea view !
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Geminids

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Alexandra, I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Yes our biscuits are very nice and always go down well with our guests as a complement to the Tea and Coffee in the rooms.

Sean smith

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were here admidst the storm on Valentine's and saw the waves crashing against the Cobb. But the warm service and food kept us warmed, and ready to welcome the Sun the very next day. Well recommended!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank mwshirt10
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear mwshirt10

Thank you for writing a review on the Alexandra, I am so pleased to read that you chose to celebrate Valentine's day with us and that the bad weather did not spoil the weekend for you. The Cobb did indeed provide an amazing spectacle to observe from the grounds of the hotel and I am delighted that you found our service and welcome at the Alexandra to be warm and excellent. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Have to agree with LBS50_10.
We stayed two nights 14th and 15th February.
Room was good with an excellent view of the garden and Lyme Bay, especially spectacular given the gales we had in the UK that weekend.
With the exception of the head waiter, who made us feel like second class citizen's we found the staff excellent.
Aside from him, biggest disappointment was an uninspiring menu. It was the same menu both nights and looking at the menu for the day we left it was the same again..not really good enough at these prices.
I'd recommend staying at the hotel BUT just room and breakfast and book a table, in advance at Hix and walk the 6/7 minutes across the gardens..well worth the stroll.

Room Tip: B&B only, Room 12 had a great view.
1  Thank Baunton1
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Baunton

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the beautiful scenery from the bedroom during your stay despite the bad weather. I would agree the view of the sea and its huge waves crashing over the Cobb was indeed spectacular.
I am very sorry that one of our waiting staff has appeared to upset you. This certainly is not the norm as we pride ourselves in the delivery of excellent service in our Restaurant as has been mentioned countless times by other guests in previous reviews. I wonder in what way did he make you feel second class? I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter in more detail with you if you would be so kind as to contact me at the hotel, since I am sure you can understand my concern when reading such a comment.
With regard to our menus I feel that I must mention that although it is true our themed Valentine Menu was allowed to continue on Saturday night for those guests who may have missed the opportunity to celebrate on the 14th. We did also provide an additional three course TDH menu alongside the Valentine on both nights and it did actually change from Friday to Saturday as is the case every day at the Alexandra. You mention on check out the next morning that it had remained the same however with respect, our Head Chef writes a fresh dinner menu after breakfast each day. The one in question had still to be changed at the time of your departure but certainly was different by the time of service.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

My aunts had bought us two vouchers for afternoon tea at the Alexandra as a thank you present. We finally cashed these in on a very wet Thursday. The tea was really splendid and served in the conservatory. Lovely sandwiches, warm home made scones, cakes and warm brownies to die for. Good value and we will be taking friends as a special birthday treat. Recommend vouchers as presents!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Ktpcat

Thank you for your review, I am so pleased to read that afternoon tea at our hotel was able to cheer up a wet and dull day for you. Yes our Alexandra Vouchers are very popular and make an ideal gift for someone special in your life. It is wonderful that your Aunt chose to give them as a present and we look forward to seeing you again hopefully on a more sunny day so that you make take advantage of our lovely gardens. We cut the grass on our lawn for the first time this year today and the Daffodils are already coming into bloom.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I wanted to give a 4-5 star review but left feeling this hotel needs a bit of a wake-up. The location is stunning but this is not everything. Prices are high but attention to detail and customer care are a little lacking. Could be much better.

Plus points- very clean; relaxed atmosphere; food was very good and restaurant staff excellent.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LBS50_10
alexandrateam, General Manager at Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear LBS50_10

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased to read your positive comments in regard to our Hotel, the cleanliness, the quality of the food and the excellent service in the Restaurant. I must admit to being somewhat confused however when you refer to other points that are lacking? Unfortunately you do not mention these in further detail and I wonder would you mind contacting me so that we may discuss those issues where you have some concern. When made fully aware I may then be allowed to take positive action if required to do so.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
0 mi away
Lyme Townhouse
Lyme Townhouse
#12 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!