“Stunning sea views”

Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We have just come back from our 5th visit to this wonderful hotel. Breath taking location, delicious food and friendly staff. Lovely room with very comfortable bed. Weather was perfect this time too. We hope to visit again before too long.

1  Thank Adrienneadele

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed with my wife last week as this lovely hotel. Position overlooking The Cobb could not be better. Views from room ( No 27) great. The hotel is well presented and the staff from reception through to the waiters were very polite, friendly as well as being professional. The dinner in the restaurant was enjoyable and the breakfast was excellent, both from the buffet and menu choice for a hot meal.
The only negative was timing of meal on the second night. Having booked a table for 7.30PM and arriving at 7.10PM for a pre dinner drink, we were not taken to our table until 7.50PM and our first course did not arrive until 8.25PM. Main course then arrived as soon as first course cleared ( more attention needs to be paid to timings). However, having pointed out the problem to the head waiter we found that on checkout our wine had been deleted from the bill. Nice touch.
Would definitely stay at the hotel again, if in the area.

Room Tip: Try and book sea facing room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I now travel alone to this hotel, in short bursts. I have stopped looking for elsewhere to stay, simply because I am never made to feel as an awkward extra. I only have to ask and the service is provided. Ispent my birthday here, totally alone, but I was not lonely. The staff were helpful, welcoming and the restaurant even provided me with a beautiful dinner on the night of my birthday. I will be returning in July, and hope the intervening time will pass swiftly.

1  Thank deirdre k
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We loved this small gem of a hotel in a 1735 building in a shore town in Dorset, England. Beautiful, well maintained and furnished room (#24) with lovely water views. Our friends in #23 had a similar view, but I preferred our color scheme. Thoughtful touches abound (robes, electric kettle with cocoa, coffee, and tea, cookies; welcome chocolate in the shape of a fossil (since it's on the Jurassic Coast), turndown service, next day's weather forecast, guide to local walks and shops in town). Very ecologically conscious. Good food, locally sourced, and large wine list. We arrived before our room had been cleaned; while we waited, they brought our luggage to the room and refused a tip, and gave us coffee/tea in the living room, which has a small library available to guests. Marble bathroom with excellent plumbing. The hotel sits on a lovely garden with these gorgeous views, and borders a park which leads to the beach. The only negative is the lack of an elevator, but I would love to return here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Barbara B
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We visited here at the weekend for my Mum's 70th Birthday for Sunday lunch. We sat in the Conservatory which has lovely views of Lyme Regis harbour. We were made to feel very welcome and the staff were all very friendly. The food was good, although there was quite a long wait (2.5 hours) between our main course and pud ... and the coffees were served a little prematurely (before dessert). Fortunately our children just about managed to cope with the wait because they were able to escape outside to play croquet on the law (but had it been an inclement day, it may have been a different story!)

Thank you for making it a memorable day for my mum - we all enjoyed ourselves very much!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravellingWillbury14
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife booked the Alexandra as a celebratory surprise for my 65th birthday and we are pleased to report that her choice was first rate. The ethos of the hotel is excellent with great attention to detail from the minute you arrive. All members of staff were friendly, most helpful and professional; the setting is beautiful and we had the added bonus of a wonderful sea view. We will certainly recommend the hotel to our friends and family. The food in the restaurant is excellent, including a good, hearty breakfast selection; restaurant and bar staff are kind and friendly and they carry out their duties with good humour. Thank you for making our 'special' occasion so enjoyable.

2  Thank Stanley74
Reviewed April 16, 2013

It's a shame there's not an option for 3.5 stars, because that's what I'd like to give the Alexandra.

A family group of 9 of us spent a weekend here, and overall we had a nice weekend, despite the awful weather.

Things We Liked:

• Great location, close to town, beach and the Cobb.
• Stunning views.
• Nicely appointed bedrooms.
• Cosy public rooms, stylish and well decorated.
• Tasty breakfast, wide choice of cooked dishes.
• Beautiful garden, with croquet and a trampoline for the children.
• Very tasty cocktails.
• The French Maitre D’ in the restaurant was charming.

Things We Didn’t Like

• £1,000 non-refundable deposit for a booking for four rooms, 9 months in advance. (I wasn’t paying for the weekend but had I been, I wouldn’t have accepted this outrageous demand, and would have gone elsewhere.)

• Food at dinner varied from well under par to very good, mostly erring towards the former. Portions were comically large, which didn’t help create the image of ‘fine dining’ which they clearly aspire to.

• Restaurant staff, whilst all really pleasant and willing, desperately need some training. Soup spoons and steak knives, which should have been laid beforehand, were not, and had to be asked for after the arrival of the food. When you’re paying over £30 for a bottle of wine, you don’t expect a fresh bottle to be tipped into glasses still containing wine from the previous bottle, or to have to ask for a cooler for white wine. Glasses were also overfilled, hence having to drink white wine warm, one of my pet hates.

Overall, a pleasant weekend away, in a nicely located hotel.

Would I go back? Yes, but I wouldn’t eat there in the evening.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Branscombe
The Bull Hotel
The Bull Hotel
#1 of 10 in Bridport

Been to Alexandra Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!