The Royal Lion Hotel
Agoda.com
The George Inn(Chardstock)
$94
  • Restaurant
All reviewsswimming poolbalcony roomsnooker tableoak room restaurantcar parkcoaching innking edwardgames roomtraditional hotelblack puddinglog firehotel barhigh streetbroad streetlovely hotelold buildingfamily room
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Well, as part of my Christmas present of a cookery course at River Cottage, we had two nights stay here. It's a nice enough place, but i've been to much, much better, and not for £130 a night(plus £8 p.n. for our Schnauser!) in March! The room(4) was fine, and very warm, the bed too. There was noticable mould above the bath, and the door leading to the patio, had a massive gap, top left which let in a very strong wind at times. Staff are friendly and helpful, the pianist at dinner, a nice touch too, although his demeanour was rather bizarre. Food was good, and breakfast good and varied. All this leads me back to the price, now, Lyme Regis is nice enough, but it's not St. Ives, and the Lion is hardly the Tregenna Castle, which is cheaper. Having also just returned from Barcelona, where we stayed for three nights just off Las Ramblas, 5 mins from the beach for the same price including flights, as 2 nights at the Lion. I just don't understand how people continually pay these ridiculous prices, when the world offers so much more.

Room Tip: Avoid room 4, unless the door has been fixed.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Davem001

Thank you for your trip advisor review of The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was pleased to learn that you found so many of the aspects of your stay so pleasant, the team both friendly and helpful and the food good, with a variety of choice.

Let me immediately apologise for the slight shortcomings in your room, I can assure you as a result of your review I have already taken steps to ensure these issues are rectified without delay.

I was disappointed and a little surprised however to have received your more negative feedback with regards to the hotel pricing in Lyme Regis. I am sure you understand I can only speak for The Royal Lion Hotel, and I am often told by guests how they feel The Royal Lion Hotel is in fact excellent value. In particular our Royal Breaks, which during the period you stayed offer a three course dinner in our Oak Room Restaurant, full English breakfast and either traditional or contemporary accommodation, for as little as £63.00 per person per night for a two night stay. I certainly do not feel our pricing is in any way “ridiculous”, and we are in fact competitively priced for the facilities we offer in the local market.

I am always glad to receive all feedback, both positive and negative as it is my belief that it is only by listening to comments from our guests, that we can ensure we maintain and build upon our good reputation.

Mark Dridge MIH

Reviewed March 23, 2014

A warm welcome awaited us on arrival and we were soon settled in to room 31. A lovely view over the rooftops to the sea. A surprise not to have a duvet and the blanket on the bed was more than sufficient. Comfortable bed, great shower and everything on offer including cotton wool and a teapot! A good bed, shower and tea making facilites are top of our list these days :-) Anthony, Michael, Darina, Kristina, Laura and others ensured we had a good start to the day. Almost everything you could ever want for breakfast was either on show or available to order. For dinner you are required to book a time which means the kitchen and staff are never overtaxed and food comes in a timely manner. Cauliflower and mustard seed soup was divine as was the Dorset Blue Viney cheesecake. Excellent Sea Bream, vegetables cooked to perfection (no overcooking in this kitchen!) The menu was varied and delicious. They may not have a Michelin star but they were stars in our eyes. We parked the car on arrival and walked everywhere which was bliss. The sun shone, the beach beckoned and all was well in our world. Some fantastic independent shops are to be found in Lyme, with great service. Although the only negative thing we have to say is about stale baguettes, from a deli opposite the hotel. We will return

Room Tip: Rooms 31 to 35 or 36 have a lovely view and a small balcony overlooking the town and sea
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lesley H
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Lesley H

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us.

Your feedback about the facilities of your balcony room were most appreciated, and I am pleased we ticked all the boxes for you. I have passed on your thanks to Anthony, Michael, Darina, Kristina, Laura and all the team involved in ensuring your time with us was such a success. In addition I have spoken to our chef to make him aware of your comments about the food during your stay, and he was delighted to read your feedback.

I look forward to being able to welcome you to the hotel, for your return visit, in the not too distant future.

Mark Dridge MIH

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Myself and my husband stayed here for a long weekend. The check in was quick and efficient and we were taken to our room and given a run through. We stayed in room 32, overlooking the sea and the first morning the sunrise was just beautiful. The rooms are well decorated and have hairdryer, coffee and tea and kettle, television but no iron. The location of the hotel is right on the high street just minutes from the sea and a lovely walk along the promenade to The Cobb. The food we had in the restaurant was cooked lovely and the steak just as i had asked. There was a piano player there on the Friday evening and created a lovely atmosphere. There were several seating areas to choose from and many games around to play and a puzzle on the go in the hall. The pool looked lovely and well maintained.We had two breakfasts there and couldn't fault them. Sadly i had some bad news from home on the Saturday and i couldn't face an evening meal but my husband ordered room service and was pleased.Staff are very helpful and friendly my only sour comment would be that the gentleman taking the orders in the restaurant was a little serious and regimented in his order taking.
I loved this place and would like to stop longer next time.
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Sea view room well worth it!
1  Thank jackie016
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear jackie016

Thank you for taking the time to complete a tripadvisor review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was delighted to learn that you would highly recommend the hotel as a result of your visit.

I was pleased to read that your balcony room offered all that you expected and our restaurant team created the right atmosphere for you on the first evening from the excellently cooked dinner right through to the tinkling of the ivory from our resident pianist. I will of course pass on all your delightful feedback to the team involved in ensuring your time at The Royal Lion Hotel was so special.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel, hopefully for a more extended stay, when next you visit Lyme Regis.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had a lovely stay in The Royal Lion and were pleased to find a hotel that had some Pet Friendly rooms that were of a good standard. The service was excellent, and we particularly enjoyed the breakfast.

1  Thank Sally H

Dear Sally H

Thank you for your review of The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to learn you enjoyed your visit, found that your room met your expectations and that the service from the hotel team was excellent.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Lion Hotel, once again in the near future.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed in room 35 over looking the sea and with a balcony.Everything was perfect .from the time we stepped into the hotel to the time we left . Nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff. The room was spacious and clean. The bar area was very cosy .The restaurant was out of this world as was the food at breakfast and in the evening .The weather didn't dampen our spirits and we have already booked to go again for new years eve

1  Thank valtrussler
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear valtrussler

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to read your positive comments about your experience.

I was pleased to learn that you felt everything was perfect, that also the team excelled themselves in ensure your every requirement was met, and that you did not allow the weather dampen you’re your time with us. Finally I was delighted to see that you have chosen to join to celebrate New Year.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel at New Year, if not before.