“Good Hotel in Lyme Regis”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
The Royal Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
Sheffield
“Good Hotel in Lyme Regis”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Had a three night stay here and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our room was comfortable and spacious and clean. Breakfasts were fine although the atmosphere was perhaps a little stuffy in the upper room. Overall interesting place to stay and the staff were very helpful with suggestions of other places to visit in the area e.g. Beer. We did not have dinner in the hotel so cannot comment on that. Would stay again if visiting L.R.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Florriebunda
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Florriebunda

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was pleased to learn that you had thoroughly enjoyed your time with us.

Your comments about the comfort and spacious nature of your room, and how clean you found it were much appreciated. I will of course pass on your feedback to all those involved in ensuring your stay was so enjoyable.

I do hope we will get an opportunity to welcome you once again when next you visit Lyme Regis.

Mark Dridge MIH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hotel and staff were great but please sort out your wifi. Both nights I stayed I was told that the wifi was not compatible with Apple - one of the bar staff told me it was because "we don't have 3G in this country". Yes the area is the Jurassic Coast and yes you were celebrating your Fossil Fair and no I'm not a time traveller from the future. This is the 21st century - how can you not have working wifi? My PC and iPad both found the routers in the bar and lounge area but neither seemed to be connected to the outside world despite being turned off and turned on again twice.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tony J
Dear Tony J

Thank you for your trip adviser review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was a little disappointed to read your comments about our WiFi on the ground floor of the hotel.

Firstly let me immediately apologise, with regards to the WiFi we clearly neither met your expectations nor the high standards of guest care we set ourselves at The Royal Lion Hotel. I am particularly disappointed to read your review as we have recently spent a great deal of time and effort to ensure we improve our coverage over the ground floor of the hotel. I will be contacting our technician and asking him to revisit the work he has done in order to ensure proper coverage at all times. In addition as I am sure you are aware the local area can be a little patchy when it comes to internet coverage and I am working hard with the local community in order improve this and therefore improve our offering.

I am saddened that this marred an enjoyable weekend at the Fossil Fair and can only hope you will be kind enough to give us another opportunity when you next return to Lyme Regis.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Hitchin
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We had evening meals in the bar a couple of times in our week's visit to Lyme. The food was simple and well cooked - fish and chips (really good chips!), liver bacon and mash etc. - the veg was nice and fresh. Standard pub fare, but good if that's what you fancy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was our first visit to Lyme Regis. We stayed 2 nights in a superior balcony room. Amazing view over the rooftops to the sea, good decor, very clean. We used the Inn to eat on our first night and had good quality 'pub grub', and good local beer. Breakfast was fab, good choice of cooked food as well as continental. From check in to check out found the staff to be friendly, efficient and helpful - I think it was the most hassle free check in I've ever had!
Bonuses here are the location, parking and pool facilities; it was great to have a swim and jacuzzi after a strenuous hilly walk. We would certainly stay here again if we returned to Lyme.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank speccybeccy
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Speccybeccy

Thank you for completing a review on your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, I was delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your two days with us.

Your comments about the balcony room in which you stayed being both clean and the décor being up to standard were most appreciated. We have invested a great deal into these rooms in the last eighteen months, with new carpeting; redecoration and ensuring their facilities meet our guest’s expectations.

I was also pleased to read that the food you chose from The Inn and at breakfast offered good quality and choice. Finally I was so glad that the team performed well, were friendly and helpful, I will of course pass on your positive feedback to all those involved in ensuring you time with us was such a success.

I look forward to welcoming once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I visited this hotel in February with my partner and I have only good things to say!
The staff were very warm and welcome and introduced us to our lovely room overlooking the road leading down to the beach.
The food in the dining room was spectacular and the waiters were very attentive with complementary starters and bread.
The location of the hotel is brilliant as it is only a pleasant stroll down to the beach and there are plenty of shops to stroll about.
My only regret is not booking this for more than one night! The staff however allowed us to keep our car in the their car park and we didn't leave to the following night!
Overall, lovely hotel and a lovely location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Siobhan888
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Siobhan888

Thank you for your very positive review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel in February this year. I was delighted to learn how much you had enjoyed your experience.

I have already passed on your comments regarding your room, our food and about how very warm and welcoming you found the team to be, to all those involved in ensuring your time with was so pleasant.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Lion Hotel once again in the not too distant future.

Bristol
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We like Lyme Regis. It is a friendly, pleasant town with nice views and it is very dog friendly (even the Costa Coffee here lets dogs inside) and we try to get two or three breaks here a year with our Border Terrier. We normally book an apartment or cottage but this time we tried the dog friendly Royal Lion.

Big plus point is free parking at the rear of the hotel which is very useful in Lyme Regis. The room we had was a patio room and ideal for dogs. Now my one and only negative. We had room 1 which is next to the games room with table tennis and snooker table. It echos and if there are noisy children using it as a playground you really do not want to be in room 1. Even the noise of someone playing table tennis can be annoying. To be fair when I complained the noise stopped and we received a gratis coffee and brandy each on the evening.

That said the room was fine, comfortable and clean. There is also an excellent small swimming pool in the hotel, which is surprising as the hotel doesn't look big enough but is quite Tardis-like.

We ate in the bar one evening with our dog. Very nice bar food. We also had one meal in their main dining room (no dogs and that's fine) which was very good. Good service, food and ambiance.

Breakfast was as good as I have had in a hotel and most have had higher star ratings that the Royal Lion. Nice cold buffet and a good choice of hot food, freshly cooked and brought to the table. I did read a review on here saying the portions were to small. I do not understand this. What I wanted I asked for and received.

In summary the staff were pleasant and helpful. The hotel facilities were very good. The food was on a par with many higher graded hotels. We shall certainly return but not in room 1.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Philip_A
Dear Phillip_A

Thank you for completing a review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was delighted to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay.

I was disappointed however to learn that the noise from our games room had slightly marred you experience. You were good enough to inform us of this issue at the time, and I can assure you that the team and I have since kept a closer eye on the games room to try to limit the noise, and the maintenance team will continue to investigate ways to safeguard against any disturbance in this room in the future.

I have passed on your comments about were the quality of our facilities and the food, and how pleasant and helpful you found the team to all those who worked so hard to ensure your stay was a positive one.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel on many future occasions.

London
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Not too sure what you have to do these days to get 4 stars?

What a lovely hotel...we stayed two nights in the King Edward room...which was a large comfortable room overlooking the main road....which is not a real problem as it is quiet.

We were met by a really cheerful young chap on reception who sorted it all out for us.

We had a drink and a snack there which was excellent.

They have an indoor pool, full size snooker table, table tennis, a library ...lots of comfy rooms to crash out in after an excellent liquid dinner at Mark Hix's place at the top of the road.

Full and top quality fat boy's breakfast in the morning....not too sure about the intrusive and loud marching band music (including the William Tell overture??) first thing in the morning !

Overall, a 4 star experience....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Freddy22

Thank you for taking the time to complete a tripadvisor review of your recent visit to The Royal Lion Hotel. I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us.

Your comments about the breakfast, drinks and snacks, and your room The King Edward were all most appreciated. I have already shared your feedback with all the team involved in ensuring your time with us was such a good experience. I have asked our restaurant manager to review the music for breakfast as perhaps it was a little vigorous for our leisurely breakfast.

I look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit us at The Royal Lion Hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#1 of 45 in Lyme Regis
Cobb Arms
Cobb Arms
#16 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to The Royal Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!