“Great break”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
The Royal Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“Great break”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a very enjoyable 2 night break at this hotel, we found the staff in all departments to be friendly and attentive, the meals in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast were of good quality and plentiful. We particularly liked the idea of having a large selection of good quality red white and rose wines at the same price£16.95 a bottle rather than the usual house plonk, all in all we would highly reccommend this hotel especially at the special royal promotion price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kdsc11
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Keith C

Thank you for completing a review of your two night stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was delighted to read your feedback about your time with us.

I will of course pass on all your positive comments to all the team involved in ensuring that your stay and in particular to those in the kitchen and restaurant where you obviously added you your experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel on many future occasions.

Mark Dridge MIH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Let me first say that overall we had a wonderful night away. The reception staff were very friendly and our room was ideal for us ( and our dog ). We enjoyed the pool and had it to ourselves. We parked the car and never used it again until we left. The breakfast was peaceful and very good quality. We sat in the bar and decided to stay by the fire and eat. This was the one shortcoming. I was very suprised that there was hardly anything for a vegetarian.I would suggest this is looked at as well as the attitude of the surly and characterless barman.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank lavendergirly
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear lavendergirly

Thank you for taking time to complete a review of your recent visit to The Royal Lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was so delighted to read you positive comments about your stay.

I was however disappointed to learn about your dissatisfaction both with the lack of vegetarian choice and with our team in The Inn. Though we currently do have a number of dishes on our menus which cater for vegetarians including a daily changing special on the blackboards of The Inn, I have asked that our chef look a little closer at these items to ensure they cover the wide variety of tastes of our guests. I have also asked our Restaurant Manager to address the shortcomings of team members, in order that no further incidents occur.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future to The Royal Lion Hotel.

Dorchester, UK
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had another very pleasant stay at the Royal Lion. We've stayed several times before and always come away happy - this time was no different. We eat in the bar and the restaurant and always found the food to be good. The staff were unerringly helpful and polite. The jacuzzi and (very small) steam room were fine but the pool was a little cooler than we would of liked. Also the games room and gym were out of action (due to refurbishment?) - but no great loss as we never use them. Thank you for a great weekend!

Room Tip: Choose a balcony room on the upper floor for a view over town towards Golden Cap,
Dear old_poundbury

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion. I was so pleased to learn how much you had enjoyed yet another visit.

I was glad that you found the food good and the staff helpful and polite. I will of course pass on your positive comments to all the team involved in ensuring you time with us was such a success. You will also be glad to hear that we are now nearing the end of our refurbishment works you refer to in your review and the patio, balcony rooms and corridors are looking great with their new carpets and decoration. With regards to the pool temperature it is set to 29 degrees, which is the recommended temperature for a leisure pool such as ours, however I have ask all the team to monitor the temperature through the day to ensure it is comfortable for all our guests.

Thank you once again for your time in completing your feedback and I very much look forward welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel once again in the near future.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was our third stay at this lovely old hotel. The staff are friendly and attentive, the food and service is excellent and there is a swimming pool, jacuzzi and games room (snooker & table tennis). If you are looking for a good quality hotel in Lyme Regis then this is the place. Our balcony room was located in the annexe and the view was fantastic. We were lucky enough to sit in bed with a cup of tea and watch the sunrise over the sea! On this occasion we went with a group of friends and were all made to feel very welcome. The only slight problem was our room wasn't serviced on our first morning but no sooner had we pointed this out, it was done. We couldn't fault the staff - they were all excellent! We are looking forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: The annexe rooms on the ground floor aren't as nice as the balcony rooms with a sea view. Some...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Goodgirl53

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was so pleased to read how much you had enjoyed you return visit.

I am glad you felt the staff, food and service were excellent, and described the hotel as good quality. I will of course pass on your comments to all the team involved in ensuring your time with us was so memorable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel on many happy future occasions.

Waconia, Minnesota
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had read the reviews on TripAdvisor for this hotel and were very excited to be able to get a room booked for a night. We read the descriptions of the rooms and then booked one, I had even contacted the hotel via email to makesure we had the room we wanted. I was assured no problem. We arrived about 7pm and found it next to impossible to find a place to park but finally did manage to park and make it into the hotel. The staff who greeted us were wonderful, very friendly etc.
He showed us to our room and we found it was a very ordinary room, did not seem traditional in any form at all. Bathroom was ultra modern and beds very old and not comfortable. The room had no soul, no character. But ok, one night we can deal.
Tried to make a reservation for the diningroom but were told they had no room. We were never notified that reservations were required. We travel alot all over Europe and the world and many hotels have notified us regarding dining reservations, asking if we would want them etc. So we ended up eating in the pub or inn or whatever they called it. Service was horrendeous and unfriendly, however, I had fish and chips and this was the best fish I had in England!
So leaving the next day was not a bad thing for us. We had such high expectations for this hotel. In the hotels we stayed at in England this is by far my least favorite! It has great potential. Hoping it was just an off day but too late for us, we will not be back.

1 Thank csbsn2002
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear csbsn2002

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your visit to The Royal Lion Hotel. I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your time with us.

First let me immediately apologise, on this occasion we have neither met your expectations nor the high standards of hospitality we set ourselves at The Royal Lion Hotel. I have since receiving your feedback looked a little closer at your booking and I note that your reservation was made via our partner’s booking.com. You subsequently contacted us to clarify the type of room your had booked, however I can see from the correspondence that although we moved you into the traditional part of the building, we incorrectly placed you into a more recently refurbished room, which it would appear did not meet your expectations.

With regards to your dining experience, firstly I must apologise that you were not notified that a reservation was required. Although our confirmation letter for direct bookings do state that a reservation for The Oak Room is necessary, our page on booking.com does not cover this as their confirmations are of a standard format. I will contact them directly and ask them to make an amendment so issues such as these do not arise again. In addition I have discussed the poor service you received in The Inn with the team and have taken steps to ensure such lapses in standards do not occur in the future.

I was pleased to read your initial welcome and that our traditional haddock & chips did meet with your approval; however I was sorry to learn that you would not choose to stay with us again. I believe that your experience does not represent our usual standard and that a number of lessons will be learnt from your feedback.

Thank you once again for taking the time to comment on your stay, as it is my belief and that of the whole team that only from gaining a guests prospective can we continue to build upon our reputation for warm hospitality.

Yeovil
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My Husband and myself stayed for a few days for a birthday break. The room was very good with a lovely view over the sea. The food was excellent. We really enjoyed the swimming pool and jacuzzi. Most of all we were very impressed with the efficiency and friendliness of all the staff we came across! Thank you for making it a delight to stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J D
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear J D

Thank you for choosing to write a review about your recent visit to The Royal Lion Hotel. I was so please to read how much you had enjoyed your stay with us.

Your comments about your room, our food, and leisure facilities were really nice to hear, however I was even more pleased that you felt the team were both efficient and friendly. I will of course pass on your comments to the members of the team who ensured your stay was delightful.

I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Maldives
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I took hubby here for his birthday, We love Lyme Regis and don't live far away so usually come for the day, but wanted to spend a night and really explore. I chose the Royal Lion because it is 400 years old and promised lots of period features, and because it has a pool. It's nicely situated too - right in the middle of things and within spitting distance of the seafront. I chose a balcony room, we were in number 32. The view made the £130 for B&B worth it. The room itself is in the 'new' (late 1980's early 90's i think) part of the hotel which is a bit naff and desperately needs updating, no-one paints anything peach anymore! However, the room was nice, the bed comfy - iPod docking on the TV, bath and shower, Hairdryer etc - all very good. The shelf in the bathroom is not longer attached so if you lean on it, it comes off, and the room whiffed of drains a couple of times. I repeat though - the views are spectacular. We ate lunch and dinner in the hotel, and the lunch was delicious - very cheesy croque monsieur, yum, The dinner was in the dining room and the starter, amuse bouche and pudding were spectacular - the main's were a little dissapointing - perhaps we chose badly, It's expensive, and the dining room was empty so the ambience was a little off - music was on so low you could hear yourself breathing - but it's off season, it's going to be quiet, Nice wine selection, No Prosecco but a decent french alternative. Breakfast the next day was faultless - delicious and a good selection.
The pool and spa bath were lush - again - circa 1986 and in the 'new' part, but lovely all the same. Shame the sauna wasnt working, but it's not mentioned on the website so we weren't expecting one,
The outstanding features of this hotel are it's cosy ancientness and it's incredible staff. We were looked after so well, they were so attentive and we were treated like royalty. Thankyou Rachel (reception), Susie (bar) and our waitress for making our stay so special.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are 'modern' but views are spectacular, patio rooms also have views (if you lo...
1 Thank SaraLB70
Dear Fildes6770

Thank you for completing a review of your stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay.

We value all constructive feedback, and the points you have raised will be discussed in the coming day in order to improve our guest experience and ensure we continue to build on our reputation for warm hospitality and traditional service. I will of course pass on your comments to Rachel, Susie and all the team who ensured you were so well looked after during your time with us.

I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Royal Lion Hotel, once again in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#1 of 45 in Lyme Regis
Cobb Arms
Cobb Arms
#16 of 45 in Lyme Regis

Been to The Royal Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!