“An excellent couple of days”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lyme Regis
The Royal Lion Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lyme Regis
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
“An excellent couple of days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights with friends on 29/30 Oct 12 and we all enjoyed our stay very much. All staff were professional, friendly and helpful; always with a smile. The food was excellent with a very interesting menu that changed on each day (hang on to that chef). The hotel is clean and comfortable and we will be staying there again.
Peter and Annie L

Room Tip: We had a superior room (32) on the first floor with a balcony and sea view. The sunrise was amazing...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, I was most delighted to learn how much you had enjoyed your time with us.

I was so pleased you felt all staff were professional, friendly and helpful and always with a smile. I was also glad that you felt the food was excellent, I can assure you I am doing my upmost to ensure the chef stays with us. Finally that the hotel is clean and comfortable and that you would stay again. I will of course pass on your comments to all the members of the team who made a contribution to ensuring your stay was so memorable.

Thank you once again taking the time to give me your positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you once again to The Royal Lion Hotel.

Mark Dridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Hertford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

We have stayed 4 times in 21 years and have not found much difference since we started. The restaurant was superb and the whole restaurant team efficient, pleasant and helpful. Food was lovely. We had none of the breakfast problems described by some guests; we came down reasonably early so don't know what service was like if you slept in.
The room - 12 - was fine, although not very big. No complaints about size or comfort but can't see why it is classified as a higher rate than other "standard" rooms (£20 per night more), as it was quite small and did not have a view or anything. Are standard rooms really smaller than this? Having said that, there was no problem with the room at all, just can't see why the extra price was justified.
The hotel has a lovely feel to it and is in an excellent location. We chose to come back (last time 5 years ago) because it always has a nice atmosphere and has never disappointed. And yes, we would come back again.

Room Tip: Check out what you are getting for "traditional room", as opposed to standard. We stayed i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Royal Lion Hotel, I was pleased to learn how much you had enjoyed your time with us.

I was so delighted you felt all the resturant team were effcient, pleasant and helpful, and that you thought the food was lovely. I will of course pass on your comments to all the members of the team who made a contribution to ensuring your stay was so memorable.

With regards to room 12 and its classification within our whole bed stock, I appreciate your comments, I will certainly discuss this with my team in light of your review and take any appropriate action we feel necessary.

Thank you once again taking the time to give me your feedback and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome both of you back to The Royal Lion Hotel in the not too distant future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We spent this last weekend 13/14th October) at the Royal Lion and were lucky enough to have three days of golden sunshine and blue skies, an unexpected bonus.

The position of the hotel is wonderful, 2 minutes walk from the start of the promenade and handy for all the shops and pubs around.

It is a good mix of the very old - an atmospheric bar where you could imagine the highwaymen of days gone by swigging 'a pint of your finest Landlord' and very modern rooms in the 'new' block. Our room was lovely with contemporary furnishings and a small balcony with a view of the sea and down the coast towards Charmouth and Golden Cap.

Breakfast was lovely with attentive service, no need to ask for more toast as it just kept coming! Tasty bacon and sausage and all the accompaniments you could expect. I upgraded to smoked salmon and scrambled egg on the second day and that was scrummy.

Our trip was primarily to visit an elderly aunt nearby who can no longer put us up so at 290.00 for two nights for 2 I'm not sure we would be able to justify staying there frequently but if you're totally on holiday, I can recommend it

Room Tip: Room 35 - in the newer block at the end so not much noise from neighbours and a lovely view from the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

I was so pleased you felt that the hotel facilities, service and food where of such a good standard. I will of course pass on your comments to all the members of the team who made a contribution to ensuring your stay was so memorable.

Thank you once again taking the time to give me your positive feedback and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome both of you back to The Royal Lion Hotel in the not too distant future.

Guildford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at the Royal Lion Hotel in Lyme Regis Saturday 29th September in Room 6. I chose the hotel because of its location and historical significance and at £75 I was expecting to be a little bit impressed. Room 6 was a very small room at the very back of the hotel away the historical part of the bulding. It was on the ground floor with very little light and the bathroom was very cramped and uncomfortable. I feel that, as a solo traveller, there are many B&Bs in Lyme Regis that give you much better surroundings and charge less (and are friendlier). I was also treated very rudely by a barman for having the 'cheek' to order a latte at the bar 15 minutes after closing time. Even when I explained I was a resident he just looked at me coldly and said "bar's closed". This is far removed from the comment on the back of the hotel brochure which declares "You won't get a better welcome". The barman's nastiness coloured my whole expererience of staying at the hotel. I will not be going back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Martin R
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of you recent visit, the comments from which help us to identify where we may improve the standard of our service to our guests at The Royal Lion Hotel. I was disappointed to learn of your poor experience during your time with us.

Let me immediately apologise, on this occasion we neither met your expectations nor the high standards we set ourselves at The Royal Lion Hotel. Firstly please allow me to assure you I take the reputation of the hotel very seriously; I understand the value of guest feedback and therefore ensure issues raised are addressed as a matter of importance.

Firstly I was surprised to read your feedback regarding your room, this room is in the more contemporary part of the hotel, however I believe it has no less charm than one of our traditional rooms. It is one of our smaller rooms, however it does have a 4 foot double bed, and is generally only sold for single occupancy and I therefore feel certainly does warrant the current tariff.

Since receiving your feedback I have also investigated the incident which you describe within your review, it is my understanding that “last orders” had been called in the usual manor, and due to certain circumstances that evening, the member of the team had became nervous, and perhaps did not portray himself in the best light. I have obviously spoken to this team member and made it very clear that any type of rude behaviour is unacceptable on any occasion.

Once again I sorry that this one incident spoilt your weekend, and therefore tainted your whole experience of The Royal Lion Hotel and thank you for your feedback.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

On another wet August UK Saturday we were trudging the streets and seafront of Lyme Regis.
A huge rain cloud had sent everyone scurring for cover and somewhere to eat. We chanced upon the Royal and while not our usual looking "port of call" we dived in and found a nice table in a warm cosy lounge. We ordered simple bar snacks (baggetts and chips) and a pint of the excellent Otter Bitter and a glass of rose for the boss.
Food came out in good time and was very good. In fact it was a very pleasant way of spending a short break. Good friendly service, good quality F&D and not too expensive. In fact if we were ever return to LR again (which would not be in August) we would consider staying here and perhaps search out the French Lieutenants Woman!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paul_doubler
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback about your recent experience of The Royal Lion Hotel. I was very pleased to learn that you had found everything to your satisfaction.

I was pleased to read you felt that the food was very good, and it was a very pleasant way to spend your time on a wet August afternoon. I will of course pass on your comments to all the team involved in ensuring your visit was enjoyable.

I look forward to welcoming you back once again to The Royal Lion Hotel, when next you visit Lyme Regis.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Great location, just a few minutes walk down to the sea and the promenade down towards The Cobb.
Lovely balcony room with a view over the rooftops to the sea and coastline to the East. Balcony is not covered, so no good if it's raining - luckily we had beautiful weather and made full use of it.
Bathroom small with nice fittings and tiles but poor finish in some areas. Shower not great and bath is really tiny but there was plenty of VERY hot water (take care - you could easily scald yourself). Nice and clean with soap, shampoo/shower gel provided but no conditioner or hand/body lotion.
Bed very comfortable with lovely pillows and pretty bed linen. Slept very well (apart from noisy seagulls waking us at 6:00 every morning)! Furnishing not of the highest quality, although nicely laid out and plenty of storage (no fridge or minibar though). Our floorboards were very creaky - didn't bother us but don't know about the people in the room below!
We were usually out all day, so don't know what time room was made up but it was always clean and tidy when we returned. Only complaint is that the teapot wasn't emptied and the hospitality tray wasn't always fully replenished - didn't always leave two of everything, even after I left a note asking them to do so.
The older part of the building, including the bar and lounge, was lovely, but the newer additions lacked the same charm - the panelled dining room was a poor imitation and a bit characterless; nice table linen and fresh flowers though.
The games room (just snooker and table tennis) seemed like a bit of a dumping ground, with mismatched furniture which looked like it had found its way there from other parts of the hotel. It was so hot and airless in there that we couldn't bear it for more than a couple of games, which was a shame. We never saw anyone playing table tennis - perhaps a pool table would be more popular? Probably so hot because there were no windows and it was next to the indoor pool (which we didn't use although it looked nice, if a bit small).
Wi-fi connection was a bit hit and miss! Couldn't get on-line at all at first - the small lounge behind the Reception area seems to be the best place. Once we were connected though, it seemed OK and we managed to get a good signal in our room. Reliable wi-fi in all bedrooms would be an improvement.
Staff at breakfast were very smart, friendly and efficient although we did have quite a long wait on one morning when they were very busy. Buffet had a good selection of juices and the usual fruit, yoghurts and cereals etc. Tried various permutations of the full English - fried and poached eggs were overdone a couple of times but the scrambled egg was lovely. Toast wasn't always very well cooked (barely warm on one occasion), the porridge was really watery and the black pudding tasted like sage and onion stuffing! On the whole though, the breakfasts were enjoyable and the service was pleasant. Nice hot plates.
Didn't try the bar meals or dine in the hotel as it was a bit pricey, but understand that it has a very good reputation (in hindsight, we might have done better with the dinner, bed and breakfast package, as we weren't hugely impressed with offerings elsewhere in Lyme Regis).
Private car park was a real bonus and, although it was very busy, we always managed to find a space (don't forget to get a token for the barrier from Reception when you go out).
I would recommend The Royal Lion, but if we ever return, I'd go for a package. We paid the full B & B rate for five nights (Monday to Friday) and thought it was a bit expensive for what we got compared to other similar places that we've been to.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at The Royal Lion Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent visit to The Royal Lion Hotel, the comments from which will help us to further identify where we may improve the standard of our service to our guests, and were we may add to our offering to enhance our guests’ stay.

At The Royal Lion Hotel we understand the value of all guest feedback. The management team and I discuss all trip advisor reviews and guest feedback in order to ensure that the appropriate action is undertaken. Service related comments and suggestions, for improvement to our service, are always discussed with the staff concerned and where practicable, put into action immediately. Feedback or suggestions other than this are noted and considered for future implementation and improvement.

Once again we thank you for your comments and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Royal Lion Hotel, in the near future.

West Malling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

On a short road trip to the West Country our first overnight stay was in Lyme Regis. We found the Royal Lion Hotel to be perfectly located, with free parking to the rear. The room was cosy but in need of a little updating, with all the usual facilities you would expect. The hotel exudes a classy atmosphere that belies it's reasonable room rates, bed and breakfast for a double standard room was £115, on booking the receptionist tried to tempt us to go for a slightly more expensive luxury option. The staff were friendly and helpful, but the way to the room was complicated with various flights of stairs and doors (bear that in mind if you have a lot of luggage!) somehow we managed to find our way in and out without getting lost. The lounge areas were classic, wood panelling and leather furniture and antique fittings, but the bar was quite basic, with uncomfortable seating and plain wooden tables reminiscent of a public bar in the 1970s. The bed was hard and suffered the usual hotel problem of huge heavy bed spread pulled tight over blankets and sheets tucked in so tightly that it's impossible to actually get into bed without energetically tugging at the sheets, which then un-tucks the sheet on the mattress, your feet squashed sideways unless you loosen the whole thing. Have they never heard of continental quilts? Inevitably the shower was very small, with mould in the grout. On turning it on it ran successfully for several minutes, but stone cold. On turning it off it dribbled but then became warm, refusing to turn either on or off. From sheer frustration I tried to turn it on a little harder (not always a good idea) and eventually managed to get a half reasonable shower, well it would have been half reasonable without repeatedly banging my elbows on the sides. Breakfast was first rate, with attentive staff and beautiful surroundings, the food still cooking on the piping hot plate. This hotel is perfectly positioned for a holiday in the beautiful location of Lyme Regis. We will certainly be back.

Room Tip: May be worth going for the more luxurious option, we had a standard and it was pretty standard. (Roo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay at The Royal lion Hotel, Lyme Regis. I was pleased to read your comments regarding your experience.

I believe that guest feedback is vital to the success of The Royal Lion Hotel. The management team and I discuss all reviews to ensure that the appropriate action is undertaken. I note your observations with regards to The Royal Lion Inn, resembling a public bar in the 1970’s, and about your negative feelings about your room and will certainly consider these points for future implementation and improvement.

Thank you again for your opinion, I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back once again to The Royal Lion Hotel, in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyme Regis
#1 of 1 in Axminster
Dorset House
Dorset House
#1 of 47 in Lyme Regis

Been to The Royal Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!