“Favourite tea room”

Penny Black
Ranked #2 of 83 Restaurants in Lyme Regis
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Vintage inspired cafe serving teas, coffees, homemade lunches, scones, cakes and shakes! Relax with a cold drink in our sun-trap courtyard or sit inside foot tapping to rock'n roll! Our new American Diner bar is perfect for the kids to have their milkshakes. Dogs are welcome.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Small but good tea room, I like the decor, the music, the people and above all the food, simple but good. The crab wrap is one of my all time nice things to eat. My 10 year old adores it, and the cakes look wonderful, though we never have any room left after mains! The only problem is it is tiny, though in the summer they have a wonderful courtyard garden to expand into.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Arrived in Lyme and headed straight for Hattie's lovely cafe at the back of the post office. It's a find. Quirky and fun, fab food and massive cakes. Big pots of tea with refills. Just great. A lovely family business, Hattie's mum and dad, Andy and Louise also run a B and B in Lyme called Rooftops. A lovely house with the best views, breakfasts and hospitality in Lyme.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Food excellent, homemade and well presented. Customer service friendly and professional. Appears to be well frequented by visitors and locals alike.

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I finally got to go to The Penny Black and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. I had a frittata which came with a lovely fresh side salad and warm French stick washed down with an iced caramel coffee, my 2 yr old son had a milk shake that can only be described as the best banana milkshake I've ever tasted, real bananas and creamy and my daughter and friend had wraps which she described as the best she had ever eaten. The service was friendly and we sat outside in a lovely little yard which I bet is a beautiful sun trap in the summer. So don't take any notice of the previous reviewer! I'm a local, I didn't have soup or a sandwich and I know this area like the back of my hand and take it from me this is one of the best places to get a lunch, it's clean, tidy, home cooked, healthy and in a unique setting. Will go again soon when I next take a walk in Lyme

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'm really surprised at the reviews for this place. Four of us went for lunch, we had different things and only one of us thought it any good. Locals looked like they were sticking to soup and sandwiches so maybe that's the way to go - tartlets and toasty were poor although they were served with a small/nice enough side salad.