“Fab cafe”

Penny Black
Ranked #5 of 80 Restaurants in Lyme Regis
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Cash Only, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Vintage inspired cafe serving teas, coffees, homemade lunches, scones, cakes and shakes! Relax with a cold drink in our sun-trap courtyard or sit inside foot tapping to rock'n roll! Our new American Diner bar is perfect for the kids to have their milkshakes. Dogs are welcome.
dudley
“Fab cafe”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Arrived in Lyme and headed straight for Hattie's lovely cafe at the back of the post office. It's a find. Quirky and fun, fab food and massive cakes. Big pots of tea with refills. Just great. A lovely family business, Hattie's mum and dad, Andy and Louise also run a B and B in Lyme called Rooftops. A lovely house with the best views, breakfasts and hospitality in Lyme.

• Visited November 2012

“Tucked away but worth tracking down.”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Food excellent, homemade and well presented. Customer service friendly and professional. Appears to be well frequented by visitors and locals alike.

“Little hidden gem”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I finally got to go to The Penny Black and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. I had a frittata which came with a lovely fresh side salad and warm French stick washed down with an iced caramel coffee, my 2 yr old son had a milk shake that can only be described as the best banana milkshake I've ever tasted, real bananas and creamy and my daughter and friend had wraps which she described as the best she had ever eaten. The service was friendly and we sat outside in a lovely little yard which I bet is a beautiful sun trap in the summer. So don't take any notice of the previous reviewer! I'm a local, I didn't have soup or a sandwich and I know this area like the back of my hand and take it from me this is one of the best places to get a lunch, it's clean, tidy, home cooked, healthy and in a unique setting. Will go again soon when I next take a walk in Lyme

Winchester
“Decidedly average”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'm really surprised at the reviews for this place. Four of us went for lunch, we had different things and only one of us thought it any good. Locals looked like they were sticking to soup and sandwiches so maybe that's the way to go - tartlets and toasty were poor although they were served with a small/nice enough side salad.

• Visited October 2012
Langley, Washington
“PENNY BLACK CAFE, BROAD ST, LYME REGIS, DORSET, UK”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I visited the Penny Black cafe around the back of the Post Office in Broad St., Lyme Regis, Dorset, UK, multiple times during my recent three week stay, taking many friends and relatives there with me. The food was always fresh and prepared according to each customer's request. The soups and sandwiches were amazing and the homemade cakes were incredible. I noticed how the staff "bend over backwards" to accommodate their customers' preferences and they displayed excellent old-fashioned service and, even rarer these days, wonderful hospitality. I was treated like a valued local, even though I was only a visitor. The cleanliness and ambience was also second to none and the outside courtyard is delightful. Well done, Penny Black, your cafe is "top notch" in every way and well worth repeated visits. I noticed also that Andy and Louise Crockett run a B&B called Roof Tops in Lyme Regis which I would think would be well worth consideration from good folks such as these, if you need a place to stay.

• Visited September 2012