“Bad service, food made me ill, will not be going back”
Review of Cobb Arms

Cobb Arms
Ranked #15 of 45 Lyme Regis B&B and Inns
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Bad service, food made me ill, will not be going back”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

4 friends and I met at the Cobb Arms on the evening of 23 October 2013. We had had a meal there in March 2013 and the whole experience had been very good, but something has now drastically changed.
There was no welcome whosever.
When we sat down at our table, no one came to take our order like they had done in the previous visit. A lad came over to say if we wanted food to order soon as the kitchen would be closing. We did say that last time we visited someone had come over and taken our order, (this didn't get a response) so that's why we were sat waiting. There was nothing wrote up or on the menus to say you had to order at the bar.
We asked to have the lad's order pad so we could write down our order, which we did - isn't there something wrong with this situation!
I would like to point out the place was very quiet.
Our food arrived and initial reactions was great, very nice, I had a pan fried mushrooms to start, followed by beef lasagne. The starter was cleared away quickly but the main courses plates just sat there.
The staff seemed more interested in their Halloween decorations than being attentive to the only customers they had. The plates were finally cleared, deserts weren't offered.
Just as we had come to the conclusion that even though the service was awful the food was good.
My stomach started to groan and let's just say everything that had just been eaten there came shooting out. I know this wasn't just my body/bug as I had eaten out the night before without an issue (please read my glowing review of the Eagle Tavern) and this had happened to quickly. I mentioned this to a staff member as we were paying, all he could mumble was "sorry about that" so from the tone he really couldn't care a jot, just got his calculator out! The 30 mile drive home and during the night wasn't pleasant.
I would avoid this place. The slogan on the wall says you are visiting the famous Cobb arms, famous for what exactly!!
If the owners are reading this, please ditch the young staff members who couldn't care less, a big pumpkin isn't going to pay the bills despite what they think. Please look at the food, food should process in the body for a lot longer than 30 mins.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Helen P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

A lovely place to stay. The room was cosy and quiet - we could look out at The Cobb from the window. A fabulous shower, and a really comfy bed was definitely what I needed after a stressful day at work and the drive down to Lyme.
The food was delicious, the staff were friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was welcoming and relaxed.
Breakfast was a feast!! Fruit and yoghurt, cereals, a full English and toast and jams were all on offer.
I will return before Christmas - an escape to somewhere as nice as this is a real tonic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Great all round place to stay in a beautiful location.Food tasted superb and was of good quality.Great value for money.Excellent service from friendly efficient staff.Breakfast equally as gorgeous!Lovely cozy rooms with everything you need and comfortable beds. Would definitely return and would highly recommend!!

Stayed October 2013
Somerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Have never before eaten fish that came with a piece of wire wedged inside. Staff need to check that food is safe before serving it to customers. We love visiting Lyme Regis but the Cobb Arms is spoiling the reputation of the place with its disregard for safe food.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Being a coeliac I was amazed to find a "pub" with such a choice of gluten-free meals. What a delight to be able to enjoy the food without the worry of wondering if it was alright for me. And the fish and chips - what can I say? Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I came here with my daughter on Saturday...she has celiacs & we were both VERY impressed with the extensive menu offered to people with this illness...she had the cod in batter & chips & thoroughly enoyed it...we both highly recommend the Cobb Arms to everyone especially those with celiacs...thank you for a lovely meal & GREAT service!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We went to Lyme Regis on a Sunday evening and decided to try the Cobb Arms for food. It was excellent. I had scallops in herby cream sauce and my partner had fish. Really good, very fast service and the beer is good too. Well worth a visit.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple