“Good value, friendly, local pub with local food” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Volunteer Inn
Ranked #23 of 80 Restaurants in Lyme Regis
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: The Volunteer Inn is a family-run, seventeenth century pub located in the heart of Lyme Regis in Dorset. One of the only remaining pubs on the high street, The Volunteer sells a range of local ales and ciders and has been a regular in the Good Beer Guide and a CAMRA member for over a decade. Although famous for it's ales, the Volunteer serves excellent food offering a daily changing menu. Please visit our website for more information.
London, United Kingdom
“Good value, friendly, local pub with local food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is a friendly local pub on the main street with fresh cooked , local food with a menu beyond the usual English pub food. We enjoyed starters - mussels ( they left out the cream on request - beware the West Country desire to kill you with cholestrol) , a turkish recipe of baked aubergine (some bits not thoroughly cooked) with mint and yogurt dressing then mains - hoggerts (sheep between 1-2 years old ) on chickpeas and grey mullet on brown lentils with roast tomatoes. Two course meal for two with wine = £52.00.

• Visited August 2012

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

The Volunteer is a real gem of Lyme Regis. We had a wonderful evening at this cosy little restaurant. We phoned ahead and mentioned that we were bringing children who have simple tastes when it comes to food and were reassured that the chef would be more than happy to cater for them. The food was fantastic. We began with the home cured sausage and loads of homemade bread. Our fish was cooked really well and the goat Koftas were delicious.Our 'fussy' children turned out not to be fussy at all and enjoyed tailor made suppers of home made burgers and 'jersey royals' (not chips) and pasta and tomato sauce ("with more of that yummy chorizo please"). All the food was home made and fresh and great value too. The service was great and speedy and we are all looking forward to a return visit.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
London
“Delightful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Had an evening meal a couple of nights ago. My first time eating at the Volunteer, although I've spent several pleasant evenings drinking there. The food was delightful. My beef was beautifully cooked and very tasty. My wife's fish dish and dessert were delicious. Service was great and it wasn't at all costly. If you're visiting Lyme, the Volunteer is well worth a visit.

Visited August 2012
Sheffield
“Average pub, uncompromising chef!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Having had a nice walk into Lyme Regis my family and I were looking forward to a meal at this pub, especially after the good reviews it has recieved on Trip Advisor. We decided to sit in the bar area as opposed to the slightly fancier seating area as we were in our muddy walking clothes, but later realised that the tiny size of the tables in the bar, although perfect for a round of drinks, would have made eating a bit impractical. Despite this, first impressions were generally good, as the front of house staff were friendly, and there was a good selection of drinks.
Having decided what we wanted from the slightly 'odd' menu (there was a strange mix of pub grub and some much fancier food- all of which was quite pricey) we decided on three well done roast beef dishes and a steak done medium rare. There was quite a long wait for the food, and when it came the steak went down very well (the chips were delicious!), but sadly the beef was still bright pink and bloody. We mentioned to another member of staff that we had ordered 'well done' beef and asked if the meat could be cooked more. This was all taken care of professionally and apologetically and we simply waited a bit longer.
When the food finally came back it looked a bit better, but on cutting the beef it was still VERY underdone. I had to take mine back because, whilst usually not very fussy about pink meat, being pregnant I have been advised not to eat anything but very well cooked food. The final straw was when the poor waitress had to come with a message from the chef saying it wouldn't be possible to cook the meat any more (I know well done meat isn't 'fashionable' but that just seems pathetic!). That was the cue to leave! We enjoyed fish and chips from the chippy instead! In all fairness we were given the option to choose another dish, but we didn't really want to eat food cooked by someone so uncooperative.
So overall, good first impressions but these were sadly ruined by the attitude of one member of staff. What a shame!

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank LibsDibs
toronto
“Hit and miss”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Specials board looked interesting so the missus and I nipped in for dinner. Placed the order and out came the bottle of wine with a very nice mackerel ceviche starter. We then waited... had a glass of wine and waited. Finished the bottle and waited.... Finally, out comes HID piping hot fish curry and my tepid crab linguine. Now I know the linguine must have been hot at some point as the pasta was so overcooked it had the texture of hoops out of a tin. Sadly, my meal lacked the basic flavouring of hoops out of a tin (as much as I remember from when I was ten) Without fuss, the waitress knocked a full £3 off my meal on collection of the dismal untouched pile still in my dish then informed that owing to their card machine being out of order, it would be cash payment only? Just wish they had burned some of those paper payment slips (yes, still available for use if the leccy has run out) under my dish and served a hot tasteless mass and got it half right.

• Visited July 2012