“Fishing with Harry”

Harry May Boat Trips
Ranked #2 of 7 Tours in Lyme Regis
More attraction details
Owner description: One hour mackerel fishing trips leave Lyme Regis harbour all day long.Adults £10 Children £8.Come and catch your supper whilst cruising along the Jurassic Coast.Also available are three hour deep sea fishing trips from 830 to 1130am,£25 ahead including rod and bait.
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fishing with Harry”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Had to write a review after booking Harry to take myself and my four year old son mackerel fishing this April when we visited Lyme.Harry was very helpful and we booked the trip and met Harry at the harbour without any problems. He was ready and waiting for us at the appointed time and we shared our trip with two ladies who were sightseeing. Harry was great with my son and patiently showed him how to hold the line to see whether we had caught a fish. Jack, my son did catch a fish after a fashion with the help of Harry !
We were given lots of helpful information about the coastline and Lyme and where we we could go fossil hunting.
However the best part of our hour with Harry was seeing Dolphins. Jack loves dolphins, sharks and whales. I hadn't expected to see any so hadn't said anything to Jack so he was totally overwhelmed that they appeared and that he spotted them first !
We saw about 10 dolphins altogether and Harry kindly stayed out past our hour to make sure we had the all the time we could with them before they moved on.
A truly brilliant morning and a big thank you to Harry for taking us out on his boat and taking care of us. We have already decided to visit Lyme again and will definately be giving Harry a ring to take us out with him for another adventure.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Chris C
MarieF76, Owner at Harry May Boat Trips, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hi Chris and Jack
Well thank you for that revue Chris, that was a trip to remember, dolphins in April on a cold rather bleak day!!
We happened to be in exactly the right place at the right time and no matter how many times I see dolphins I am always moved! Nobody but nobody could fail not to be effected by the sight of these very large Bottle Nosed Dolphins, some adults weigh as much as 750lbs. I've learnt how to get them to come to the boat, swimming alongside at the same speed as the boat just a few feet away.
So Chris you mentioned in your revue that Jack caught a mackerel ' after a fashion ' ! Well anyone wondering how you catch a mackerel in this way i can enlighten you. Jack was very very keen on catching a mackerel, in fact he didn't talk about much else. The fish were scarce after all the freezing cold weather we have had this year so while his dad got Jack's attention I put a very dead mackerel that was a leftover from an earlier deep sea trip that had spent the winter in my freezer on Jack's line and carefully let it back out again.
Jack returned and after being encouraged to pull his line in' discovered ' his fish . It was at the moment I helped him pull it in that Jack started a major love affair with his very own dead and rather soft mackerel ! He held on to it till the dolphins appeared.
As he left the boat I heard him tell his dad that he wanted to eat it...........something his dad must have somehow talked him out of.
Well done Chris, thank you for that story, we actually caught the first mackerel of the season on a mackerel line today, May 1st, very very late for the first fish.

Poole, United Kingdom
“Thanks Harry!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I wanted to personally thank Harry for changing my husband's life. Since his regular fishing trips with Harry he has found a real interest in fishing,he comes back with a massive smile and a massive catch!!! We have had to buy a freezer for the garage just to house all the fish that he catches!
For wives looking to get their husbands a fantastic present, contact Harry as I did, you won't regret it...

Visited January 2013
MarieF76, Owner at Harry May Boat Trips, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Well Trish who would have thought your man could have got so involved when you sent him on a Hugh Fearnley catch and cook trip ? What a surprise he turned out to be, who would have thought it ? What a fine chap, i know his buddies that he's met on the boat over the years think the world of him cause he's that sort of bloke.
John, your spiritual home of Lyme Regis awaits you on the very next calm day when you return for another days fishing.
See you soon
Harry
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“september 2012”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

wife hassled me to go on harrys boat whilst on holiday. well i am sure glad i did . i was quite happy just beach casting but that trip was great. Harry wasnt sure i would turn up that morning to make his numbers up but seemed genuine pleased that i was there. not a lot was being caught that morning a 18lb bull huss was caught and put back. but Harry moved from spot to spot to make all ended up with some mackeral. Harry never looked at his watch once what a skipper.

See you in september Harry. Glen ( the big geordie )

Visited September 2012
1 Thank glen m
London, United Kingdom
“" into the whiting"”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We booked up a trip on Marie F for the 3rd January with Harry, we arrived at The Cob for 9 o'clock and soon set off the for the 5 mile trip, once we had dropped anchor the fishing was fast and furious, a fish or 2 or 3 resulted in each drop, Pouting showing early then some excellant channel whiting and the odd dog fish even a seal decided to show interest in my catch which resulted in a mamouth battle which there was only one winner! his mate even turned up an hour later to show his face.
With a boat full of good whiting we headed home, fish gutted we headed back to our hotel with a bag full off fish and a big smiles.What a Day, thanks Harry and friend, hope to return.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank adam p
SOUTH SHIELDS
“One of the best fishing days ever”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I went fishing with Harry on Saturday for a deep sea trip, Harry took my angling friends and i to a special spot where he stated ther would be Channel Whiting. Sure enough as soon as the Marie F was anchored, we droped our lines and within seconds we were pulling up Whiting and lots of them, the smaller ones we put back as all good anglers do. what an amazing day the 9th of December 2012 will remain in my memory for some time to come, Thanks Harry im looking forward to the next trip.

Visited October 2012
MarieF76, Owner at Harry May Boat Trips, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Well John thank you very much for that review, it was a day to remember, the kind of day all anglers and boatmen hope for, perfect flat calm conditions, bright sunshine, great company and loads of fish.
We have had a pretty awful autumn, too much wind and heavy seas and ,of course, far too many cancelled trips but it all came together on that day and the Channel Whiting were thick on the ground. Channel Whiting fishing is my favourite kind of fishing because of days like that one, when its right its perfect !
Lets see what happens next time !
Best wishes