All reviewscream teawildflower restaurantdartmoor poniesafternoon teawedding receptionbalcony roomwaiting staffbeautiful settingmain courselazy sundayvalley suitebuffet stylethis lovely hotelan overnight staywedding venueboth nightsnight break
Reviewed November 27, 2017 via mobile

Pleasant friendly staff.
Room dated but bathroom was modern.
Tried to order room service at 9.19pm but they would only serve sandwiches as it stopped at 9.15. Slightly mean I thought, rules are meant to be broken for just a few minutes I would think.

Comfy bed, nice outlook.
Breakfast all self service, even the tea and coffee and in small tea cups .
Limited hot choices as was only self service, so no poached or boiked eggs.

Would return but it would have to be a very good deal.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled with family
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2017

Dear Galleywench100,

Many thanks for your honest and open review following your stay with us recently. I do apologise for the inconvenience regarding the room service, the finish time for the full menu is 9pm and on that evening we had shut down all the cooking equipment by then. When we do offer a buffet breakfast it is normal practice for us still to have the menus available and to offer the variety you expected and I will be making sure we do maintain this standard.

It was good to see that you did find the bedroom comfy and pleasant.

Please do keep an eye on our website for our offers, I hope we will publish something that will be good enough to tempt you back so we can show you how good we normally are.

Thank you again.

Reviewed November 26, 2017 via mobile

We went for afternoon tea to celebrate my dads birthday as a family of 6. The table was laid beautifully, however there was quite a delay in getting our tea and scones. It seemed quite quiet so was unsure why things took so long. However the tea, sandwiches, scones and cakes were beautiful and very tasty. There was a generous amount of food and we were all satisfied. We were all really happy with the food and atmosphere and the only reason I am giving this place 4 stars is because we felt the service was slow.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled with family

Dear Charlotte P,

Thank you very much for your kind review following your visit for afternoon tea, it was good to see that my team made the table look so good for you all and that the tea itself was well received.

I do apologise for the delay in bringing this to you once you arrived, while we do wait until you are settled before we make the tea itself and warm the scones this should not take long enough to be noticeable. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, we will make sure we learn from this and keep our normal service levels consistently.

Once again thank you and we hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2017 via mobile

We have just returned from a night at the Moorland Garden Hotel and have mixed feelings about our stay.

We had planned a night away to celebrate our wedding anniversary and were looking forward to getting away for a quiet, romantic night. Unfortunately, we left very disappointed by our stay.

The hotel is in a lovely location and the staff are friendly and welcoming. We had booked a balcony room and were very impressed with the room. The first issue was that the heating was not great with neither radiator warming beyond the bottom so the room and bathroom were a little chilly. This was soon remedied by a trip to Reception who provided a small fan heater which did the trick.

The highlight of the stay was our dinner. The restaurant was lovely, great service and delicious food.

Returning from dinner to enjoy a relaxing evening in our room, we were greeted by loud music. A second trip to Reception, where it was explained that there was a comedy show in the function room under our room and that the PA system was a little echoey. As it was due to end by 10:30 we returned to our room. By this time the comedian had started and we could hear every word, including every swear word - it was so loud that we could not talk or hear the TV. Back to Reception. We were offered an alternative room at the other end of the hotel. This was a smaller less attractive room with less facilities, but at least it was warm. Having packed our case and moved across the hotel we discovered the shower was leaking with a loud, echoey drip. Another trip to Reception and we were in a third room - this was very tired with peeling wall paper and cold again. As it was now almost 10 pm we gave in and settled in for the night.

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was lovely and the view from the window lovely. We had a great night’s sleep and were well rested and looking forward to breakfast. To cut a long story short - it was tasty but poorly organised. Virtually everything had run out and we had to wait while food, plates, cups, hot water etc were replenished one by one - there were 6 of us waiting and the quantities brought out were insufficient for this size group - so our plates were gradually filled while everything got cold.

As I said the staff were friendly and helpful, we were offered a small discount off our room, which based on the current rates, we had over paid for, making the discount less than generous. The hotel were poorly planned e.g. putting guests in a room with loud entertainment underneath with no mention of this at booking or on arrival and food running out at breakfast.

At the price we paid we will not be returning or recommending anyone parts with their money.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple

Dear milesopie,

Thank you very much for your full and frank review as a result of your stay with us last weekend.

I do apologise for the many disappointments you experienced which did spoil your stay. We really were not expecting the comedy night to be intrusive to the rooms above as it was solely a speaking event and I had set the sound levels at the start of the evening with the compere for the evening. Unfortunately the second act did use the microphone differently which did make him significantly louder than earlier and I can see how this would have been disturbing for you. My apologies for the dripping shower in the alternative room we initially gave you. As I explained at the time this was really unexpected as it was a new unit we had just had fitted.

For busy periods at breakfast we do try and have as much food ready as we can, at the same time we do like to cook this as close to the moment we need it so it is as fresh as it can be. If we get caught out by a very rapid take up on breakfasts we can get behind and we will bring out items in small batches as soon as we get them cooked. This is a situation we do our best to avoid but on this morning we did not get it right.

The discount we gave on the bill for you was to allow for the difference in room rates between the two grades of room and to allow for the disturbance we caused, I am sorry you did not feel this was sufficient.

I do hope you will consider us again in the future.

Reviewed November 21, 2017

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in the middle of November. We had booked a standard double however we were delighted to be informed on our arrival that we had been upgraded to one of their suites.

The room was large and clean. The hotel was quiet as it was out of season but the service was second to none. Every member of staff was friendly and welcoming.

There was a breakfast menu for if you wanted something cooked to order and there was also other food available such as cereal, toast and fruit. I personally had the full english on the one morning and the scrambled egg was possibly the best I have ever had. The following day I had a bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese which was equally good. We decided to have our evening meals at the hotel as well as a cream tea on the one afternoon. The food was well presented and every meal tasted delicious. The scones were still warm!

This was the first time we had stayed at this hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to return. Even from the point of booking I was impressed as the receptionist I spoke with, (I believe her name was Grace), went out of her way to help me get the best deal. Brilliant service and an excellent hotel located in a beautiful setting.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2017

Dear Banahnah1,

Thank you very much for your really positive review, excellent news that you both had a good stay with us. It is always pleasing to see that the welcome and hospitality we aim to give is delivered how it should be.

I was pleased to see how much you enjoyed the different meals you had with us, especially the scrambled egg - always my tester for how well somewhere does breakfast.

The team will be pleased to see these comments and thank you again for them, we look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 14, 2017

Very clean friendly and welcoming.
Great food stunning location.
We had such a pleasant stay lovely warm room as it was autumn. Plenty of in room tea/coffee etc provided. Really comfortable bed fan and extra chair provided etc hairdryer . Everything you may require. Really friendly and helpful staff most welcoming will definately be returning.

Room Tip: Back rooms great views front rooms have the baths
Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wittsy2015
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2017

Dear wittsy2015,

Thank you very much for your glowing review following your stay at the hotel recently. It was a pleasure to see how much you enjoyed your visit and found things here just right.

We look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Kind regards,