“Xmas day 2013” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yelverton
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Xmas day 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

From the outset very well organised, met and greeted, welcome drinks, coats taken, all in all a great day, fantastic food and service, my wife and I have decided to go back next year, highly recommended.

2 Thank Graham M
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Graham M,

Many thanks for your lovely review following Christmas lunch, I am very pleased to see that the plans we put in place worked and everything ran so smoothly!

We look forward to seeing you next year if not before.

Regards,

Andrew Jenkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I visited the moorland garden hotel with my family for a pre Christmas celebration, there were 15 of us in total including my young son. We were seated at a table which was far too small for our party, there was barely room for us to cut our meal let alone be comfortable. As well as this problem there also was not enough condiments on the table and we spent the afternoon passing one salt and pepper pot between the whole table. Now onto the real disappointment- the poor service and terrible food. The whole party agreed that the starters were a let down of very poor quality, and the portion sizes inconsistent. Before they were served one of our party asked a waitress what the soup was and she had no idea. Then when the mains were served, once again we were disappointed with the portion sizes, we got a small amount of over cooked meat and one and a half roast potato each, which was served luke warm. placed on the table was one bowl of sprouts and one bowl of soggy parsnips, not only was this not enough for the whole table, but it was advertised that the meal came with a selection of vegetables, and to me 2 different vegetables does not count as a selection.
we were left wondering how this place had won best SW restaurant, because we flt they did not deserve this title.
we have used the moorland garden before for family events however we will not be using it again, we can get better value for money and better quality of food and service at the harvester.

2 Thank chris_jacka
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear chris_jacka,

Thank you for your very thorough review following your visit to us before Christmas. I do apologise for the poor experience you all had. This is is far from our normal standard and expectation.

I have been in touch personally with the organiser of your party to resolve the family's concerns.

Thank you once again and I do hope you will give us another opportunity to show you what we are capable of.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I am sorry to say that a family Anniversary and Christmas lunch of 15, bringing our family together was tainted by the poor quality of food & from the waiting staff, Head Waiter was not identified to where we could direct our complaint. The food was not hot, there was only 2 bowls of vegetables for the party, hence we had to ask for more. The child's meal was completely forgotten, and when we asked a waiter as to where was his food, he replied quite obnoxiously, 'he doesn't have one'.
It was requested not to have piccalilli on the starter,within two minutes of requesting this, the terrine came out with it on.
All in all this not a venue that I could recommend to another, the food was poor, the service was un-personalised, service was like a conveyabelt service, and there wasn't sufficient space on the table allowing for elbow room. only one cruet set for 15, cutlery was smeared.
Of which was becoming an annual event for our family at your establishment, has left us very disappointed, unwelcomed and looking for somewhere else next year.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Davina_Hodge60,

Thank you for your full and honest review of your family anniversary lunch. I was very concerned to read about how you felt the day went and the poor experience you received. I need to look into this fully and when I have I will respond to you directly.

Please accept my apologies,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

We visited here one Monday afternoon with my son. My wife had visited previously and had ordered the farm house platter which she absouloutly raved about !! So on this occasion we ordered the same. Originally it came came out and it was terrible so we complained and with no hesitation a guy ( not sure if this was the manager) came out and was extremely apologetic and took the food away an returned with another platter which was superb. I can't fault the staff one bit here nothing was to much trouble. From lighting the fire for us to changing our food and even games for my son!! And to top it off we didn't get charged for our food. Thanks we will be back keep up the good work. You should maybe visit the burrator and give them some pointers as our experience there was terrible !!!

Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank ARGYLE1
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear ARGYLE1

Thank you for your very kind review following your lunch visit yesterday, especially as the first platter was not up to our normal standards. I am especially grateful for your decision to tell us quickly so we could replace it at once.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the lunch and the service you received from all my team, it is always good to hear from others how professional and helpful they are.

We look forward to seeing you again and best wishes for a very happy Christmas and prosperous new year.

Chard
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

As part of a large party of disabled and able bodied we had a pre-Christmas lunch. With so many to serve about 50 the meal was served with great efficiency and the food did not suffer from the typical mass catering issues. The starter and main course were hot at excellent quality. The company on our table was great as I had not seen most of the people since our wedding three years ago. The restaurant as a great aspect overlooking the gardens and then onto South Dartmoor. The serving staff were efficient and friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DykeHillTopCat
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear DykeHillTopCat,

Thank you very much for your kind review following your Christmas Lunch last Saturday. I was most pleased to read that my team looked after you all so efficiently and you were able to enjoy the time to catch up with old friends in our relaxed surroundings.

I hope we will see you again next year if not before.

Plymouth England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Visited as part of an annual works dinner. There were about 30 of us in total. We had a few drinks in the Dartmoor bar quick friendly service, we were than told out tables were ready and were all seated quickly and efficiently. We had pre-ordered our meals so the wait for the first course was not long at all, we had various starters and everyone was top quality, great presentation and great taste. This was followed by mains and deserts all with little waiting. All the food was good and the service was first class. Nothing was too much trouble drinks were ordered and served quickly, plates removed in a timely manner.

We retired to the bar for a night cap and again even though we all got to the bar at the same time there was hardly any waiting.

All in all a great night out I will defiantly return again and highly recommend it whether for groups or couples.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Colin_Diane
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Colin_Diane,

Thank you for your very kind review following your dinner here at the end of November, I was very pleased to read how much you all enjoyed the evening. It was a pleasure for us to be able to look after you and your colleagues again.

I will pass on your thanks to the team and we look forward to seeing you here again soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Two years ago we got married at the moorland garden hotel, the day was fantastic and we couldn't fault anything from the drinks to the rooms. We decided that for our 2nd wedding anniversary we would come back and stay the night. We booked in for dinner, bed and breakfast. When we got to the hotel we asked what courses where included in the meal for the evening the lady at the reception said she didn't know and best to asking waiting staff in the evening.

On arriving into our room 102 the room smelled damp and musky we opened the windows to let the air but this did nothing.

A young lady came in and gave us some menu's to look at each course was laid out and underneath all three courses it said " all courses for £28.00" so we thought that covered all three courses and we decided to have a sweet, the shock came when we received a bill for the sweet £10.00 no-one told us about this and it should be clearly stated on the menu how much for 1 course and so on.

We went back to our room for the night, unfortunately due to the damp I was coughing throughout the night, but the worse think was the bed it was very hard and uncomfortable both myself and my husband hardly slept due to this - the premier inn offer a full refund for an unsettled night sleep.

With not much sleep we went to breakfast sadly the breakfast was quite awful. The gentleman opposite me order a smoked haddock and when it arrived it looked lovely so I thought I would order the same and my husband order a full english. When my smoked haddock arrived it was a small piece of shrivelled up haddock that had been cooked for too long 15 minutes it was very dry and tasteless. My husband's breakfast was even worse. He had one shrivelled up sausage, a tomato that had been cooked for several months and overcooked bacon and burnt toast. This is totally unacceptable for a hotel charging premier prices. We have had more enjoyable stays at budget hotels.

When we checked out were given the bill which totalled to £185.00. We were not informed (despite asking several times) on arrival whether the dinner we had paid for as part of the package included 3 courses or two or one - this should be made clear. We were would have got a better deal somewhere else such as the premier Inn. I'm sorry to say we won't be returning to the Moorland Gardens - the happiest day of our life was spent at the Moorland Gardens when we got married two years ago and we are so sad to see the hotel fall back to such a basic and weak level of service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Paula G,

Thank you for your review following your stay earlier this week. As I stated in my earlier e-mail to you I will be looking intot he points you have raised and coming back to you directly.

I do apologise the the shortcomings you experienced, this is far short of our normal standard and in no way representative of the Moorland Garden Hotel. Please rest assured we are looking in to what went wrong and will be in touch shortly.

Andrew Jenkins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelverton
Moorland Hotel
#5 of 5 in Tavistock
Mill End Hotel
Mill End Hotel
#2 of 2 in Chagford

Been to Moorland Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!