“Friendly staff and great value”

Moorland Garden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yelverton
southernengland
“Friendly staff and great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Situated on the edge of Dartmoor with stunning grounds this hotel offered great value and was perfectly located for great walks or exploring nearby Tavistock. We went on a deal from Travelzoo and paid the extra £20 for a balcony room. The views were amazing. The deal included a good two course evening meal and breakfast. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was modern, clean and tidy. The offer is available until the beginning of October, so we have booked to go back

• Stayed July 2013
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear garlic1927

Very many thanks for your kind review following your stay with us earlier this month. I was very pleased to see that we looked after you so well and that you're coming back.

Look forward to seeing you later in the summer.

Andrew Jenkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Found a deal through Travelzoo and booked it for Saturday 6 July. Perfect setting for an anniversary weekend. Fantastic room and deilcious evening meal. Full English Sunday breakfast icing on the cake. All the staff were professional and friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Esther G
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Esther G

Thank you very much for your kind review after your anniversary break at the week end. I am pleased you were able to take advantage of our offer through TravelZoo and found it a good experience.

Do come and see us again!

Regards,

Sunbury-on-Thames
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Have stayed here before and like the location, size of the rooms, and their views. Under new management the general decor has improved and the bar especially is brighter and more cheerful.
The food is new cuisine, so not many vegetables and not too filling if you have been walking the moors. The menu is also rather limited and did not change in six days. One criticism brought no response from the kitchen.
The breakfasts are well cooked and the starters table adequate

Room Tip: i think all rooms face the pleasant lawns and views. there are 3 categories we had a "superior...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wingwalk18
Dear Wingwalk18

Thank you for your kind and constructive review following your stay with us last month. I am pleased that you have ben able to return and that you are pleased witht he improvements we have made to the property.

Thank you for the feedback on the dinner menu, I will be working with the team to make sure we act on our guests' observations and do what we can to help. The system should work that there are regular changes to the menu choices.

I do hope we will be able to look after you again in the future - do keep an eye on our website for our special offers!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

On 7th July we had a Diamond wedding celebration for my husband's parents here. All the way through the arrangements, and frequent visits for lunch in the bar which is lovely and excellent value, we have been treated in a friendly and highly professional manner.

And the actual event did not disappoint. We were blessed with a heaven sent day with glorious weather so on arrival all the patio doors were open so guests could sit on the trace and the little ones could run and play on the lovely lawn.

The service was first class - out event manager for the day, Chris, was attentive, paid attention to detail and checked each step to ensure all went to plan. The buffet was lovely - more than enough food and the selection was very tasty, catering well for all including our vegetarian contingent. We provided our own specially made cake for dessert and this was carefully cut and presented.

A couple of small suggestions - the 3 steps down to the room from the entry could do with some improvement as they are tricky if you aren't too mobile or wearing high heels. My husband managed to catch his shoe on the metal edge strip and rip his shoe off, straining his ankle in the process. Also there were no forks or spoons provided for the cake.

However these were insignificant in the overall scheme of things. A wonderful day was had and we would like to thank Andrew, who checked personally all was in order, Laura who arranged everything and especially Chris whose personality and professionalism made the whole event even more pleasing than anticipated.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear HolidayGorillaz,

Thank you your your very kind review after your visit to the hotel for your in-laws Diamond Wedding anniversary. I was most pleased to read how well the team did for you, both in the lead up to the event and on the day itself.

I will pass on your thanks to all concerned, the team will very much appreciate the praise. Thank you, too, for the observations regarding the cake forks and the stairs, we will make sure we have these available for cakes like this in the future, the stairs I will investigate with my maintenance team this week.

Thank you again and I am glad yo all had such a good time.

Honiton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We got a great deal from Travelzoo and as we were going to Plymouth the next day decided to make a weekend of it and travel down on Saturday. Upgraded to a balcony room with great views across the lawns and countryside in the instance. Excellent evening meal, all round very nice stay. It might be a bit noisier if there was a wedding booked as our room was above the ballroom but it was perfectly peaceful for our stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a balcony room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kevin S,

Many thanks for your kind review after your stay last week end. I was very pleased to see you were able to make the most of our offer and the great weather!

Do keep in touch with us and I hope we'll be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Regards,

Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

I found this hotel via a web search, and as it looked attractive, booked for two nights; it was perfect.

I have spent 40 years travelling for business and pleasure and rarely does such serene comfort and tranquility combine with great food to appear in one place.

The room, a junior suite, was large, comfortable, and overlooked both the formal and the country gardens.

The breakfast menu covered all tastes but it is to the evening dining where the gold rosette is truly earned. Chef, Bruce Cole, has managed to present an exquisite range of options that deliver a visual delight combined with sensational taste, using predominantly locally sourced ingredients. I rarely eat three courses, but because the first two were so good, I made an exception; I wasn't disappointed. This experience was repeated on the second night. My only regret is that I couldn't stay long enough to try everything on the menu.

The staff were a delight, the bill on departure, reasonable.

I have one suggestion for management; please arrange for seating/benches to be available in the gardens; on pleasant days it would make staying in and around the hotel so much more relaxing.

I hope and pray that I have the opportunity to return.

Brian Arnott

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear arnottb,

Thank you for your very kind review, I am really pleased we were able to combine all the elements for a relaxing business stay. We know how important it is to be individual and distinctive for both the leisure and corporate markets and I'm delighted to see how well we managed to do this for you.

I will pass on your comments to all of the team and especially to Bruce and his team in the kitchen. Appreciation like yours is very well received.

We have been lookng at providing some garden benches - I will look more closely at this now and hopefully have some here for when you next come!

Thank you once again and hope to see you again soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We had hoped to eat in the restaurant but it was closed at lunch time.
The hotel is in a beautiful location and very peaceful.
We ate in the Dartmoor bar. I have to say this is the worst place we have eaten for a long time.
Service, food and rules, had problems with all. For example, part of our order was forgotten and when we reminded the staff, it came out hardly cooked. We had waited a rediculious amount of time for our food anyhow. My wine glass was dirty and I had to point this out after the wine had been poured into it. The two ladies at the next table to us tried to order desert after their mains and were told the they has stopped serving food! We were still eating our mains, nobody had mentioned we would not be able to complete our meal.
We mentioned our concerns to the waitress when she asked if wehad enjoyed our meals and she said she would get the duty manager. The duty manager came out and said she would pass our concerns to the manager who would call us. She took a of our details, we are still waiting, it must be 4 weeks now. I guess the manager will not call now. It's a shame because the restaurant looked lovely.

• Stayed June 2013
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear addicted-to-travel60,

Thank you for your review following your lunchtime visit recently. I do apologise for the shortfalls you experienced in our service and standards. This is far from the norm and we are working with our team to make sure we do not do this again.

I would also like to apologise for not having had the opportunity to call you to discuss your visit, I should have made time for you.

I will be in touch directly very soon.

Andrew Jenkins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelverton
Moorland Hotel
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,026 reviews
The Dartmoor Lodge
The Dartmoor Lodge
#1 of 3 in Ashburton

Been to Moorland Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!