“Everything Perfect...”

Moorland Garden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yelverton
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I found this hotel via a web search, and as it looked attractive, booked for two nights; it was perfect.

I have spent 40 years travelling for business and pleasure and rarely does such serene comfort and tranquility combine with great food to appear in one place.

The room, a junior suite, was large, comfortable, and overlooked both the formal and the country gardens.

The breakfast menu covered all tastes but it is to the evening dining where the gold rosette is truly earned. Chef, Bruce Cole, has managed to present an exquisite range of options that deliver a visual delight combined with sensational taste, using predominantly locally sourced ingredients. I rarely eat three courses, but because the first two were so good, I made an exception; I wasn't disappointed. This experience was repeated on the second night. My only regret is that I couldn't stay long enough to try everything on the menu.

The staff were a delight, the bill on departure, reasonable.

I have one suggestion for management; please arrange for seating/benches to be available in the gardens; on pleasant days it would make staying in and around the hotel so much more relaxing.

I hope and pray that I have the opportunity to return.

Brian Arnott

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear arnottb,

Thank you for your very kind review, I am really pleased we were able to combine all the elements for a relaxing business stay. We know how important it is to be individual and distinctive for both the leisure and corporate markets and I'm delighted to see how well we managed to do this for you.

I will pass on your comments to all of the team and especially to Bruce and his team in the kitchen. Appreciation like yours is very well received.

We have been lookng at providing some garden benches - I will look more closely at this now and hopefully have some here for when you next come!

Thank you once again and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We had hoped to eat in the restaurant but it was closed at lunch time.
The hotel is in a beautiful location and very peaceful.
We ate in the Dartmoor bar. I have to say this is the worst place we have eaten for a long time.
Service, food and rules, had problems with all. For example, part of our order was forgotten and when we reminded the staff, it came out hardly cooked. We had waited a rediculious amount of time for our food anyhow. My wine glass was dirty and I had to point this out after the wine had been poured into it. The two ladies at the next table to us tried to order desert after their mains and were told the they has stopped serving food! We were still eating our mains, nobody had mentioned we would not be able to complete our meal.
We mentioned our concerns to the waitress when she asked if wehad enjoyed our meals and she said she would get the duty manager. The duty manager came out and said she would pass our concerns to the manager who would call us. She took a of our details, we are still waiting, it must be 4 weeks now. I guess the manager will not call now. It's a shame because the restaurant looked lovely.

• Stayed: June 2013
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear addicted-to-travel60,

Thank you for your review following your lunchtime visit recently. I do apologise for the shortfalls you experienced in our service and standards. This is far from the norm and we are working with our team to make sure we do not do this again.

I would also like to apologise for not having had the opportunity to call you to discuss your visit, I should have made time for you.

I will be in touch directly very soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Booked a room for my partner's parents for father's day gift on last Friday.
Although it was such a short notice, hotel has arranged to put a nice card for their room and upgraded room as it's special occasion and all were confirmed via email straight away, which was very impressive.
They were very impressed with the service from hotel staff and enjoyed their meal.
I will recommend this hotel and looking forward to stay there in near future.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yuki S
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Yuki S,

Thank you for your kind review after your experience booking your partner's parents in for a father's day gift. I was pleased to see that we managed to do this so efficiently and then followed up with a good stay for the "in laws".

i hope we will be able to see you all here in the future.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Booked this hotel on a Saturday night just half an hour before turning up at 8.45 (forgotten appointment), and were greeted nicely both on the phone and in person, despite the fact that we were booking very late and there was a wedding party in progress. Food in the restaurant was better than expected, although there was a hiccup with a desert, which staff dealt with very professionally. No wine listed by the glass on the wine menu is probably an error that could be rectified... Fortunately we ended up happily drinking by the bottle instead! The room was rather smaller than those pictured on the website, but perfectly adequate for our needs, a comfortable bed and modern clean bathroom, away from the noise of the wedding party noise. The situation right at the edge of the National Park made for a lovely drive and a walk in the morning. If the wedding party hadn't been using it, there was a lovely terrace overlooking the garden. Good quality at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear WiltshireLiz,

Thank you for your kind and helpful review following your stay with us recently, it was very pleasing to read that we looked after you well and you were able to enjoy your visit to the full.

Thank you for the feedback on the wines by the glass - i will look into this very shortly with my Restaurant Manager.

Having found us now I hope you will be able to return for a more leisurely visit!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We booked this hotel for our 20th wedding anniversary. I was told on booking that there was a wedding taking place on the day of our stay and told they would put us in a quiet room. We were not disappointed, we were given room 227 which is a premier double and a very pleasant room with views over the gardens. We booked Bed and Breakfast so ate out and returned to the wedding reception in full swing however the service wasn't affected and we were dealt with promptly. The weather was beautiful so we had the window open in the room which meant there was some noise from the reception but nothing to bother us and when we settled down and shut the window there was very little noise. We had a good nights sleep (the bed was very comfortable) and had a very nice breakfast which was a buffet style with hot and cold options. Overall a lovely stay and would definitely recommend and return for another visit.

3  Thank Sharon B
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Sharon B,

Many thanks for your kind review following your anniversary stay with us recently. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time here and that my team was able to look after you as promised.

It was also good to see that you were able to enjoy the hotel and Dartmoor in the good weather!

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

Regards,

Andrew Jenkins, General Manager

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We made a booking at the very last minute and needed somewhere that was dog friendly! When I rang the hotel, the lady I spoke to was extremely helpful and found us a doggy friendly room, and it was booked with no fuss.

The hotel itself is lovely, set in lovely grounds just on the outskirts of Dartmoor. The rooms are a good size, clean, lovely bathroom, and ours had a dog bed and two dog bowls.

Every member of staff we spoke to were all extremely helpful and friendly, they are an absolute credit to the hotel! We felt very well looked after, especially when they let us have the restaurant menu in the bar (dogs are only allowed in the bar) and a table in the bar was especially set up for us for breakfast.

We ate from the Wildflower Restaurant menu and it was delicious, as was breakfast in the morning.

Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable. A really lovely hotel, we will definitely stay again in the future.

3  Thank PoodleABV0204
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear AnnaVaernes,

Very many thanks for your kind review following your stay with us last weekend. It was a pleasure for us to look after you all and I am delighted that you found my team so helpful and accommodating and the food good.

We look forward to your next visit, plenty to see and do around here!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was the first time we had visited the Moorland Garden Hotel since it changed its name from The Moorland Links Hotel and acquired new owners. We are local people and had heard good reviews of the food. So, for the occasion of my birthday took the plunge and booked a table. From the moment we arrived we could see that the staff were overly stretched. We were ushered into a lounge area by the gentleman on the reception desk and saw no-one for at least 20 minutes. We were slightly early so this didn't bother us much but we are accustomed, at other places we regularly visit to eat, to be offered drinks not just to be left alone without another word. When we eventually ordered and sat down to eat the whole meal took nearly 3 hours! Having said that the food was wonderful and the waiting staff (two girls and Simon the acting manager) were friendly, professional and very apologetic about the wait. Simon offered that our wine be free of charge as an apology which we readily accepted. I would highly recommend the food but hope that on our next visit they have enough staff to cope with the amount of people they have booked.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wannabetraveller59
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Wannabetraveller59

Thank you for your kindly written review following your visit for dinner on Tuesday evening. i do apologise for the time dinner took, this is far from normal for us and was due largely to some timing issues with the party we had in coinciding with our other guests.

I was pleased to read that you did enjoy the food and do appreciate your comments regarding Simon and the service team. We would very much like you to come back and give us another opportunity to show you how we normally work.

Thank you again for your comments and observations, they are very useful to us in our efforts to improve.

Andrew Jenkins

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelverton
Moorland Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gulworthy
The Bedford Hotel
The Bedford Hotel
#5 of 5 in Tavistock

Been to Moorland Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!