“reviewed restaurant only”

Moorland Garden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yelverton
Reviewed September 10, 2012

On arrival for our Sunday lunch we unfortunately were not expected because our booking had gone awol, however, the staff quickly sorted out a table for us. Our main problem was the meal itself which was very poor, ( we made no complaint at the time as this meal was being bought for us). The leek and potato soup was weak and very bland, the pasta dish was under cooked and tasteless, and the desserts of bread and butter pudding had been warmed in the micro wave oven and was rubbery with custard and not clotted cream as on menu. There was no changing facilities for our baby, and we were told we could change him on the floor in the ladies, which is totally unacceptable, we were then shown into a previously used and unmade bedroom to change him on the floor there instead. On our return to our table the hot drinks had arrived and imagine my surprise at being brought as a hot chocolate drink, 1 sachet of hot chocolate with hot water to make your own! Unfortunately this review is not a good advert, and as such is the first poor review I have ever made. A return at the moment is highly unlikely.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear Sally S,

Thank you for your review here following your family lunch here on Sunday. May I apologise for the disappointment you experienced. Please be assured we have taken steps to address the concerns you raised, your observations are very useful to me to help us improve our food offering and service.

Please can you contact me at the hotel, I would like to discuss this with you further.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed for one night with my 5 year old grand-daughter. This is an excellent hotel very clean and friendly. Breakfast was superb. Room very large with a lovely view of garden. Situated in a good area for visting Plymouth and the Nation Park. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Goonergal2009,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the facilities and services here and that the staff were friendly. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Had my daughters wedding reception here on Friday 24th August. Cannot praise the hotel and staff enough. The rooms we had were excellent and the food was excellent. A special mention must be made of the wedding butler, David Earl. Nothing was too much trouble for him and he really made the day go smoothly. Cannot praise him enough!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Sandy C

Many thanks for your kind review. It was a real pleasure or us all to share the day with you. We do appreciate the positive feedback, will pass onto the team.

Hope to see you all again shortly

regards

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I would like to say we have just go married on 28th july 2012. The hotel was fabulous, the staff all excellant and the wedding butler made are day so very special, anyone wanting or having a wedding here, they have no problems the day and the following day food, breakfast wonderfull. good day all around.

karen

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KarenHopkins
Moorland_GM, General Manager at Moorland Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your review, I was really pleased to read that you had such a good time on your wedding day. It was a real pleasure for us to host this celebration for you, I will pass on your thanks to the team.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel while on business in Devon and I am so pleased I did. From the moment I arrived the service was superb, on a par with anything in London's five star hotels and the welcome was so warm too. Nothing was too much trouble, my car had a flat battery they found me jump leads, I needed some coconuts hollowed out (don't ask lol) five minutes later it was done, we had to leave before breakfast was officially served they areanged it earlier, and this was across the board from manager to waiting staff. Oh and our evening meal was excellent.

In conclusion I hope to visit again soon and my congratulations to the management on their excellent team.

Best wishes

Martin harper
Senior producer
Itv1's This Morning programme

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Dear Hatstand12345,

Thank you for your kind review, really glad we were able to help you and your team while you were here. It was a pleasure to have you with us and good for us to have the little fun challenges you sent our way, like the coconuts!

We look forward to having you back, either for work or a break, hope the rest of your trip was a success too.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

When we arrived at this hotel and checked in we were greeted by a very nice man on reception. We were given room 226, and upon entering the room first impressions were very good. However that was not to last,and upon checking the bathroom we discovered that the toilet seat although clean, was quite old and badly discoloured and we noticed that the carpet was threadbare in the bedroom.. But overall the room was very clean and quite spacious, and I must say that the bed was very comfortable indeed. Sadly when we used the shower in the morning even after running it for some time (this was advised by reception when we told them about it) did not make any difference and not once in all the time we were there did we experience a hot shower. When we had finished showering we had trouble turning it off and had to use two hands and sometimes a towel for grip. Heaven help you if you were frail and didn't have much strength. Also the taps leaked around the base of the sink when we turned them on too. These are simple and minor irritations, and should have been addressed before a guest came to stay in the room. When looking in the information book there was no mention of the free wifi which was mentioned on their website, and only found how to access this by more luck than judgement. Furthermore, there was no mention of ironing facilities and only after mentioning this to reception we were told that there was an ironing room above reception, they do not deliver an iron or board to the rooms, this too was not mentioned in the information book. I do not mean to be critical about these little points, and hope that my comments will be taken on board. I would like to say that the restaurant is excellent both for breakfast and dinner and all the staff worked very hard indeed. Overall this hotel is very nice, with very hardworking and friendly staff, it is in a lovely position, the view from our room was fabulous. I understand that this hotel has only just been taken over in the past year or so, and things are sometimes overlooked when there is so much to do. I am sure that the problems I have mentioned above are work in progress and will be addressed in time. Would I come back again? Yes I think that I would once the little problems are sorted out and all the work is completed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a garden view, as the other side is the car park. Our room was a premium double...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 4, 2012

Dear nicensweetEssex,

Thank you for your very objective and helpful review. We are already addressing the technical issues you raised - the new shower is already on order and will be replaced very shortly, along with the toilet seat.

I will review the guest information folders so we can make sure we are properly up to date and will also consider some better ways of letting people know about the WiFi around the hotel. We are in the process of updating our ironing offering, I could not let us continue with the old ironing station on the first floor, we now have a portable iron and board that we can take to the guest's room and will be adding to this shortly. My long term aim is to have an iron and board in every room.

Thank you too for the very positive comments about the things we did get right. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you can get back, I am sure you will see more progress then.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed here with my family on a two night break between camping trips. Loved the hotel. The building is fantastic and the grounds are wonderful. We spent some time playing boule on the lawns whilst enjoying a drink in the sun - very memorable. The room was massive, luxurious and had a great view of the grounds. Parking was ample and the whole hotel had a feeling of space and freedom. This it not a 5 star establishment but for the money it was incredibly good.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear Archaeohobo,

Thank you for your review, I'm very pleased we looked after you during your break and that you were able to make good use of our lovely gardens and grounds.

Do come back and we'll do our best for some more sunshine for you!

Andrew Jenkins

Also consider these accommodations in or near Yelverton
Moorland Hotel
The Oxenham Arms Hotel & Restaurant
Two Bridges Hotel
Two Bridges Hotel
#1 of 2 in Two Bridges

Been to Moorland Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!